VERY generous Avios promo from Accor (at least 9 Avios per £1!) – and why you should credit to Iberia

Le Club AccorHotels, the loyalty scheme for Sofitel, Ibis, Novotel, Mercure, M Gallery and Pullman, has launched an interesting ‘triple Avios’ promotion with Iberia Plus and British Airways Executive Club.

The offer runs until 12th October although you need to book by 12th September.

Existing bookings made before 11th July do NOT count.  You should cancel and rebook any flexible bookings you hold, although check the price first.

Registration does not seem to be required.

Full details of the Iberia Plus version can be found here.  The British Airways version – which I do not recommend, see below – is here.

Sofitel St James 350

A quick digression …..

Before I go on, I want to remind you why you should credit your stays to Iberia Plus and not to British Airways Executive Club.

For historical reasons which predate Avios, Accor has a very generous deal with Iberia Plus.  Accor points convert at 1:1 into Iberia Plus Avios.  They only convert at 2:1 into British Airways Avios.

You should set your Accor account so that the Avios from this offer go into your Iberia Plus account.  You can then transfer them across to BA if you wish.

How to take part in this promotion

This is what you have to do:

Take a look at the promotion rules here

Change the settings on your Le Club AccorHotels account from earning points to earning miles

WARNING:  If you already have a pot of 3,000+ Accor points, they will be converted into Iberia miles immediately.  If you want to save your existing points for a hotel discount voucher then do NOT take part in this promotion.

Select Iberia Plus as your preferred airline – NOT British Airways!  (You will obviously have to open an Iberia Plus account at if you don’t have one.  New members of Iberia Plus must wait 90 days before they can transfer Avios across to British Airways or

Book before 12th September and stay before 12th October.  Existing bookings made before 11th July do not count and should be rebooked.

The ‘triple points’ is based on what you would earn as a ‘Classic’ base level member, ie 2.5 points per Euro.  This means that you would earn 7.5 Avios per €1 spent which is a very attractive rate.  Status members would earn even more.

(Note that the earning rate is lower at Ibis, Ibis Styles and Adagio.  You only earn 1 per €1.  At Adagio Access you earn 0.5 per €1.  This means that a ‘Classic’ member would be earning 3 Avios per €1.)

This deal could work out very nicely.  Let’s imagine that you are spending £500 at a Novotel for a week.  That would be €600 which would earn you 4,500 Avios.  A status member would do even better.

Full details can be found on the Accor website here.

Hilton tightens up on its Gold and Diamond status match
Holiday Tips 2 - the best ways of earning miles with your credit card abroad

1. Any current ideas on how to move my wife’s 1100 Accor points after last years quiz?!

• Theory is to set up an auto concert to Iberia. The risk is they lose your account. This happened to me. I had a happy Monday’s stay inbetween them cancelling and me finding this out, maybe due to this they reinstated my account following some correspondence.

• Set up the auto convert – confirmed as still working just a couple of weeks ago – can be fiddly to organise

2. Do they credit to the account as triple accor points first then transferred as previously, ie does this help with earning status?

3. Concerto says:

I think there has to be a minimum of 2,000 points before you can do anything. I would be glad to be corrected.

I also have 1,000 from the quiz. Doesn’t take long for them to expire, just a year after the quiz, irrespective of stay activity. Not much of a programme, IMO. I was looking to bump my balance up to 2,000 through Europcar rentals, but I got much better rental deals elsewhere (through As Raffles says, you have to do the maths and not just spend more money for the sake of collecting a few more points or miles.

• Previously some of us set up autoconversion on our Accor accounts to Iberia with those quizzes etc. A year later, I got some more points for something and they still autoconverted. But I’ve never stayed in an Accor hotel and Ed above says his account was closed

• Good news: the validity period of points is extended by 365 days each time a stay/event is recorded on your account.

ian. :)

• Happy Mondays makes Accor a great programme. I’ve only ever stayed with them 3 or 4 times, all through HM bookings. Every time, my points autoconvert directly to IB Avios (after following the steps in the HfP post that explains how to do it). My Plat status (via Amex Plat) is usually recognised by an upgrade and/or drinks voucher.

My only whinge about this current promotion is that I know I want to stay at my local Accor hotel on 8 Oct, but was waiting until nearer the date to book a HM rate, so would miss out on the triple points as mentioned above.

4. So the 11th of July means the promotion has been running a week and a half already?

Just wondering, because I booked a Happy Monday this week for next week before I was aware of this…

5. Genghis says:

OT – avios from the Groupon purchase have appeared in my Iberia account

• howarsan says:

Can also confirm, just got my 10,000 avios from Groupon España. Ta very much for all the advice!

• Mine too.

Couldn’t find the combine my avios on Iberia, think it’s the browser I’m using. Pulled them across via BA which worked for once

• Andrew H says:

I got my 2000 and 4000 purchases today. I don’t try the direct transfer route to BA – I always use

6. How annoying!

I have a £1000 stay coming up but was booked in June!

Worth trying my luck? or stick to Accor credit?

7. Hi Raffles (and all) – can you help with this please?
    I ‘protected’ a few 1000’s LCAH points a while ago by booking a cancellable stay with points for December. If I cancel it now, while signed up for the triple avios promo, will all the restored points auto convert to Iberia Avios?
    And at what rate? I assume the basic rate not triple points, but does anyone know for sure?
    TIA, Mark

• Absolutely no idea but I wouldn’t be surprised if they did convert if you have over 3,000.

• Sussex Bantam says:

Please let me know if you find out ! That could be very interesting…

• I would happily let them corvert all now if I thought it would be at triple rate – but suspect it will not, so I would be better off holding the points :-(

8. OT
    Groupon avios posted to my Iberia account today :-)

9. I am on my own in Paris this weekend, I have the menu on the hotel desk in front of me, you may well see it on Sunday!

10. Newbie question says:

When is it worth taking the triple Avios vs the Accor credit? 2000 Accor points gets you a 40 euro voucher; I’ve got 3 happy Mondays nights coming up (costing £120 in total) and currently 1100 Accor points from the quiz. Would I be better off taking the Accor points or crediting to Iberia for the triple Avios (which would be around 1050 Avios I imagine based on 140 euros * 7.5, plus the 1100 Accor points I already converting 1:1 into Iberia, is 2150 Avios in total vs a 40 euro Accor voucher)… Any thoughts?

• Euro 40, which is about £33, or 6000 Avios – that’s 0.5p per point, I am a buyer at that level.

I agree, without this offer, that taking Avios is not a great deal as you are basically paying 2 Eurocents per Avios which is poor.

11. Slightly OT – has anyone received the 1000 bonus points for meeting planners?

• Genghis says:

• roberto says:

Should arrive Nov/Dec I seem to recall.. Hopefully before the 1100 quiz points expire ..

But probably not…

• Concerto says:

Yeah,,that’s what I’m counting down on. Unless I manage to do an Accor stay before Christmas, which is possible. I wonder if that will prolong the life of the points earned in the quiz. Would a car rental prolong the life of the points? Hertz have a 5X points deal just now.

12. Would booking a Park Stay and Fly package at the Gatwick Sofitel counts as a ‘stay’? What I mean is would I get triple points on the cost of the package, about £219, or just points on the one night room rate, about £94? I’m booking for a 15 day Park Stay and Fly package that will start on 8th October, so within the booking period of this offer, but which ends after the booking period ends. Would that affect the points I might get, do you think?

Also, currently booked into the Hampton by Hilton at Gatwick North on a parking package. I’ve never stayed there before, does anyone have an opinion over whether Sofitel or Hamptons is better? Thanks

13. I’ve just created a Accor account and logged in but can’t see any ‘earning style’ or similar menu option to switch to airline points and enter my IB details. Am I missing something here?

14. “And take advantage of the offer “Three more times” to get Avios x3.”

…am I reading this correctly as it’s only applicable to 3 stays?

15. I’m having trouble with this. It says quite clearly in the T&Cs that the booking must be made ‘only from this offer page’ . On the BA version there is a booking window on the offer page,, but on the Iberia one there isn’t. There’s a ‘more information’ button but that leads to a broken link. Is anyone else having this problem?

16. my account had 1100 points from December 2015 but it seems for some reason it has been cancelled.

while logged in to accor it says “account regularisation” and has debited those 1100 points from quiz. any ideas on what’s going on?

• There was widespread abuse of the promotion and Accor was a bit heavy-handed in its response, closing down many accounts. You can get your a/c reinstated by contacting customer services and asking them nicely (people here have already done this).

1. cheap furniture for kids uk

Earn triple Avios with Accor hotel stays!