Get £20 for free when you load £50 on a Moneycorp prepaid MasterCard

Foreign exchange group Moneycorp, who you will be familiar with if you travel from Gatwick, Stansted, Southampton, Southend or Bristol on a regular basis, has launched a new prepaid explorer MasterCard for holidaymakers.

As a special offer, Moneycorp is offering a £20 bonus to new customers who order a card and load it with at least £50.

Full details are here.  This deal is branded as a Facebook offer because it is primarily being promoted on there. Moneycorp has confirmed to me in writing that anyone who applies via this link will definitely get the bonus despite not clicking through from Facebook.

Moneycorp Explorer prepaid MasterCard

The explorer MasterCard can be operated in £ or six foreign currencies:

• Pound Sterling
  • Euros
  • US Dollars
  • Australian Dollars
  • New Zealand Dollars
  • Canadian Dollars
  • South African Rand

If you have a balance remaining on the card after your trip, you can convert it into a different currency in preparation for your next trip.

There are no foreign exchange fees when using the card as long as you are buying something in the same currency which is loaded to your card.

The full list of fees which do apply are here.  You will not incur any fees if you do not use the card at an ATM, use it in the UK, or use it in a different currency to the one loaded on the card.  There is no fee to order the card.

The exchange rate used to load the card is the same as that used by Moneycorp for online foreign currency orders.  In a test yesterday it was offering me €1.1565 per £1.

Some people like the security of prepaid travel money debit cards.  Regular readers of Head for Points will know that I am personally not a fan because it is an extra level of complexity over using your standard credit or debit card.  However, the incentive of a free £20 credit for ordering a £50 card means that this is a good opportunity to give them a try.

You must be a UK resident aged 18+ to apply and you can only order one card per person.  Cards take 7-10 days to arrive.  You can change the PIN at any UK ATM.

The ‘free £20’ offer is available for applications until 31st August.  The application page is here.

PS.  The small print says that the £20 free credit may take up to 90 days to be added to your card, so do not expect it immediately

Changes to Head for Points posting during August
There seems to be a secret 20% bonus on Tesco Clubcard transfers to Virgin!

1. I think I could live with 3% quite happily if I’m getting £20 free (Pay at merchants (e.g. shops, restaurants and online) – UK – 3%)

Amazon giftcard?

• Sorry but O:T, I’ve checked to Tesco stores in the last few days, one being in Bicester and the largest in the UK (apparently) for Amazon gift cards but have found none. Anyone else having problems finding them?

• Guesswho2000 says:

Afaik, Amazon gift cards have never been available in Tesco?

• Just buy Amazon giftcard on – no need to got to Morrisons etc

• In the last couple of years I’ve only ever seen Amazon giftcards in Boots and Sainsburys.

• Buy them through an employer’s scheme?

Mine is currently only offering a miserly 1% “WOW” points (worth 1p each) at the moment (with a 50p per order debit card charge) – although they have been up to 3% “WOW” in the past. It’s not so bad if you buy them at the same time as Boots (8% “WOWS”), Tesco (4% “WOW”) or M&S (7% WOW”.

When Virgin were running their “Little Red” domestic flights, I was buying their gift cards with “4% WOW” using my Diamond Club Visa (1 Avios per £1) with a 1.5% surcharge. It was a bit of a faff booking flights by phone rather than on-line. As the flights were on expenses, I’d then get the full invoice value back.

The average flight cost £150
        Pay £152.25
        Earn 152 Avios
        Earn 600 “WOW” points
        Earn 2000 Virgin Miles

I make that as Virgin paying me 2.5p per Avios.

2. ATM fee £1.50, so could you just load it with £51.50, wait a while and then withdraw £70 from an ATM?

• That’s exactly how it worked last time round – there was a very similar card through about 2 years ago.

Just free money. Small risk as it’ll come by post & could get pinched by Fingers the postman, but I guess that’s their risk not yours.

• Looks like only whole pounds allowed so £52 needs to go on it, still £2 to get £20 is still a decent deal!

3. Waribai says:

My thoughts……….along with everyone else up at 6:30 on a Sunday too! Surely they must be guarding against this!

• Not really. They have a budget to acquire new customers. It will be a way short of £20 each. For a start, some people will never collect the £20. Then the 3% or ATM fee etc reduces the net cost further. Some people won’t ever even use the initial £50 and over time Moneycorp will erode that in further fees. And you’ll get a few emails from Moneycorp about their other services, some of which some of us will take up.

So there is no such thing as ‘abuse’ of this offer, even if you get one each for all the family. The costs are built in already.

Indeed, if (say) there are an extra 250 cards sold this week thanks to HFP, the bods in Marketing will be patting themselves on the back thinking what a great success – they’re hitting their recruitment targets and by the way most of us are from a highly desirable, difficult to target demographic – so there’s high quality included.

• Erico1875 says:

Its a while since iv been called “highly desirable”

• Money Corp seem to know what they are doing and will have an idea of how much a customer is worth to them in the long term.

4. Thanks Raffles

Just seen some small print – this offer is not available to those who already hold a moneycorp money transfer account. are also doing a £750 + free £51 load with the same Ts and Cs

• MasterCard prepaid card from FairFX – very similar offer through one of the rags, I saw yesterday

• Raffles says:

Yes, I saw that – but £20 on £50 seemed more attractive!

5. Penfold says:

Don’t think it’s mentioned in the article… I believe the card doubles up as a loyalty card type thing and gets you an enhanced rate at their bureaux in the future, even for buying notes rather than loading the card.

6. Can we pay with Amex?

7. Sandgrounder says:

OT: Revolut now accept Visa and MC for topups, with a 1% fee. Amex support not available ‘just yet’. Its not a manufactured spend opportunity for most of us with a 1% fee, but could be a good way to earn points cheaply on foreign spend due to the excellent rates offered.

• Has anyone tried this yet and seen whether the charge hits your card as a purchase or a cash advance?

• Raffles says:

Moneycorp in branch used to treat Amex as a purchase but the last report I saw said that had changed. No definitive answer.

• Genghis says:

I think I’ll wait and let some pioneers report back. Who’s taken / taking one for the team?

• Revolut support just confirmed to me that it would be charged to the credit card as a purchase. No timescale yet for Amex acceptance.

• Genghis says:

Good info Alan. I ordered my Revolut card this morning.

• I found them much more efficient than Supercard at posting things out – helpful customer support chat too, nice packaging, card support NFC, decent app – obviously need to preplan slightly more in that you need to preload with currency and 1% fee on purchases if using credit card but in many respects a slicker experience than Supercard.

• Genghis says:

I’ve given up on Supercard. No response to them blocking my card a couple of weeks ago despite some chasers. Useless.

• Brian W says:

Both wife and I have Revolut cards and they worked flawlessly in Florida at the start of the month. Easily 150+ transactions over the fortnight and never declined once. It’s a great feature that you can instantly swap money from one card to the other as well with the app. It worked perfectly as well in Paris in June also. I took my Supercard to the States and used it once to test that it worked properly but with all the silly additional amounts for the slight change in rates being reported I just stuck to Revolut. As Alan says, the app is decent as well. Solid product compared to others.

• Yep, mentioned this in Bits yesterday – given £500/mo allowed for ATM withdrawals it could be a good option. It would likely go through as a purchase although haven’t tried it yet myself.

8. you might also want to grab this – first 1000 only
    Prepaid MasterCard
    £18 Free to Moneysupermarket customers on first load, perfect mid-market rates (0% fee) on first swap and no inactivity fees. T&C’s apply
    £18 Free to Moneysupermarket customers on your first load. (Requires £50 load and is only available to the first 1,000 users only)Perfect mid-market rates (0% fee) on first swap for Moneysupermarket customersNo hidden Fees and pay up to 10 times less than at banks and bureaux. No ATM fees for withdrawals over £200

• I hate offers like first 1000 only and not telling people whether the first 1000 has been reached yet, very dodgy marketing practice IMO, still will give it a go thanks!

9. Does applying for these prepaid cards leave a hard search on your credit file? I’d think not since you’re not borrowing but I’m not sure.

10. OT For anyone who has taken up the recent Amex offer to add a supp cardholder to their Platinum account and receive 5k MR pts – how long does it take for the points to post? Thanks

• I’ve had 3 different answers from Amex on this. Ranges from 31 days from applying for supp to within 60 days or within 90 days…

• Hi Liz, just wondering where you saw this? I don’t appear to have the same offer. Perhaps it’s targeted.

• Send Amex an email and ask if you’re targeted.

• Yes, it was emailed to those who were targetted. 3k for Gold.

• Not only those who were targeted
          Emailed them along the lines that I had seen the promo and assumed I was eligible, simply wanted to confirm I would receive the bonus. Confirmation via secure message that I would.

• Yes we were targeted. Hubby upgraded from Gold to Platinum in his name only as we were only going to spend the £1k and cancel but he wasn’t charged the fee so we decided to keep it a bit longer. Then we got the email to add supps for 5k which we did!

• not had my points yet either

11. Sorry for another OT comment, Does anyone know if the Tesco Home Insurance promo code H4000GR for 4000 CC points is still working?

12. I’ve just brought one using my curve card. A 1.95% master card surcharge was added which I did not see as I had scrolled down to input the rest of my details. Still I’ll be £17 up for a few mins work (assuming I can get the £70 out of a British ATM).

• Exactly what I’m hoping. I used my IHG CC which means that I get 10000 IHG points even easier.

• Genghis says:

Good shout using Curve. Fees are added for cc regardless so might as well use Curve where bound to track as a purchase. £52 GBP card ordered.

• Genghis says:

Do you know if it’ll go through on your Plat cash back card as a purchase and therefore not engage cash advance charges and interest?

• Taking a chance – fingers-crossed!

• Genghis says:

Good luck. Please report back on what happens.

• Will do – showing up as TTT Moneycorp £53.01 so far in pending. Will see what happens in a couple of days when it moves to become an established transaction. May make an extra payment of £53.01 by debit card to my Amex account anyway in case they treat things like Halifax Clarity do when making cash transactions that would incur interest.

• Genghis says:

When I was playing around with MS opportunities last year I got charged a cash advance fee and interest on Diamond club visa for topping up a post office loading card. Win some you lose some.

• Yup I see what you mean, although have also got £10k IHG target and £7k Lloyds so it’s still useful. Of course it may not get anything, we will see!

13. Sounds like a good deal. Moneycorp charges £3 for inactivity per month (after 12 months) – is it possible to cancel the card before the 12 months? Can’t find it in the FAQ.

• Genghis says:

They charge £3 pcm if there’s balance on the card. No balance, no charge.

• The fee only applies if you have a balance, and I doubt you would leave a balance on it, untouched, for 12 months.

14. tried 3 times to apply but keep getting an error saying unable to verify my identity ? anyone else had this ,given up now £20 just not worth the bother

• Genghis says:

Delivery address same as billing address?

• yes everything matched address on card etc tried amex and a visa debit no dice oh well no biggy

• Same issue here. Not worth the hassle.

• Johnnycl says:

Had this too, couldn’t get it to work after trying several times.

• I too can not have my identity verified! Using various cards too.

• RIccati says:

They might be on the cheap and using the Equifax for ID checks (not both, Experian & Equifax).

Not all lenders report to Equifax (AMEX and Barclaycard do) — might happen that Equifax does not have any recent searches to confirm identity linked to the address.

15. OT: Rob, I have studied your ‘move Avios from Iberia plus to BA’ at great length, however I am hitting a barrier.

I have the link that says ‘transfer Avios’ so this is positive. But if I log in through BA, I only have the BA –> Iberia transfer, and if I log into Iberia Plus, I still only have the transfer option going in the direction of BA–> Iberia.

I have a single Avios account, and a further problem. It’s only offering me Avios to BA.

Avios = single account
    BA = primary account holder, household
    Iberia = single account

Help? :-S

• Genghis says:

I think last time I did this I ‘pushed’ from Iberia to Avios and then ‘pulled’ from Avios to BAEC.

• Hi Genghis, thanks but I don’t have the option of transferring Iberia—->Avios either. Just Iberia to BA. It’s a bit odd…

• haha, I was in thick mode.

I have done this now – push/pull method as described by Genghis above

• Genghis says:

Try logging into Avios and pulling from IB to avios. I have that option on mine.

• The rules are:

“Members of a Household Account under the Programmes may not use CMA other than (a) from a British Airways Executive Club Household Account to an individual account under the Avios Programme or the Iberia Plus Programme and (b) from the individual account under the Avios Programme to a Household Account under the British Airways Executive Programme. Any other Household account transaction will not be permitted under CMA.”

What this means in English is:

A member of a BA household account CAN move Avios to or from their Iberia or account (as long as the account is not a household one)
      A member of an household account CANNOT move Avios to or from BA or Iberia

so you should be able to move from inside, as long as all the email, date of birth etc info matches.

16. Thanks Rob (and Harry),

I’ve just opened a moneycorp explorer card and a weswap card in both my name and my partners.

£50.23 per explorer card to buy $65USD for our forthcoming US holiday, £50 exactly on each weswap card.

That’s a £200.46 spend for a return of £276. Not bad for a few clicks of a mouse!

Weswap confirmed instantly that we were both in the first one thousand applicants (therefore will receive the £18 bonus).

Moneycorp warn it could take up to 90 days to add the credit which works for us with a holiday in late October.

Another great day on head for points.

• How did you get the confirmation of being in the first 1000? I’ve just signed up, but there’s nothing to indicate I’ll get the bonus.

• I’ve just signed up and am showing a promo load of £18 in activity. Not showing on the balance yet though.

• I tried loading off my CC, but it kept looping round and not accepting the transaction. I’ve sent a bank transfer through, but that won’t show until tomorrow.

I may drop them an email.

• Ah! I see what the problem might be. You can load off debit cards, but not CC. When it said Visa or MC, I just assumed they meant CC. I so rarely use my debit card, I forget about it except for cash withdrawals.

• + 1

I signed up at 13:21 today and in the “My Latest Activities” section of the dashboard I can see “Promo load 18 GBP 31st Jul 2016, 12:21 pm”. So even though “My Travel Wallet” only shows a balance of 50 GBP I assume I should be good for the 18 GBP bonus.

However, my wife signed up about 5 minutes after me, and she has no such message…

So did anyone sign up significantly after 13:30 and receive confirmation that they were in the first 1000? And did confirmation come only through seeing the same message or…?

• Hi Fenny,
        Exactly as per Craig’s comment.

• Ta. I’ve emailed them. Others after me seem to have been successful, so I’ll see what they say tomorrow.

17. OT – is this revolut safe ?

I see it as potentially ok for paying a bill as there is no warranty to the end product so no use to buy “stuff” you need credit card back up on.

• Definitely no section 75 protection with it, but personally I’d be using it more for ATM withdrawals or small purchases using contactless. With Supercard or Curve you’re likely not covered either given the charges go through them as intermediaries.

• Agree with Alan, you really shouldn’t use Revolut, Supercard or Curve etc for anything where there is any chance you’ll need to dispute the transaction later (for reasons other than the payment being recharged incorrectly to your real card).

So only for things which you are about to consume or have already consumed and know the amount you are going to be charged.

• Tried to contact Revolut today and despite their advertising an online function until 6pm today, the whole thing, online and through the app was non functioning.

Will try tomorrow.

Probably won’t work for me as their THB FX rate is shockingly bad. Quoting 44.8603 today against an inward TT rate of 45.32625 which is just over 1% but that is a bank rate. At interbank rates, at nigh on flat 46, that is around 1.5% off.

• Online chat was OK for me midafternoon, that’s quite frustrating though. Haven’t done any transfers yet myself so haven’t compared their rates yet. Transferwise were fairly good on AUD when I used them before although they’ve sadly introduced some extra charges now for that currency. I’m hoping Revolut add them as a main currency soon so I can load AUD on and covert to GBP or USD (if they’ve got a good rate of course!)

• I’ve noticed that Revolut’s transfer rates are reduced at the weekend. Have another look in the morning, it must be a safety catch to allow for volatility when the markets open on a Monday morning.

18. Brandon says:

Also getting
    “Unfortunately, we are unable to verify your identity and cannot process your currency order.”

19. Great,

They took all of my personal information and after I submit my card details it said that: “Customer verification failed” and cleaned all info on the page. Tried with a different card but no luck.

20. TGLoyalty says:

Update posted as a purchase on my BAPP

21. Shows as MCC member financial institutions – automated cash disburse. Any idea if that means it’s classed as a purchase?

• That’s a yes, got a cash advance fee too. Balls

• Wally1976 says:

Commiserations and thanks for the info Nick, saved me going down the same road.

• Genghis says:

No fee on the Curve. At least it has its uses.

• No worries, I need a way to get some amex spend up and this would have made my day. Still it was worth a shot!

• Right on the Virgin bit, have others confirmed dedicate Amex card results ? I.e. Non mbna issued.

• My Amex plat appears to have treated it as a regular purchase

• Thank you to all of you that took one for the team to find out! Ordered mine yesterday using BAPP. I am guessing this means that online currency order through Moneycorp will also be treated as purchase if using the correct card?

22. Card arrived today. Ordered at the weekend, loaded £52. Haven’t had a chance to withdraw yet – anyone tried withdrawing at ATM?

23. It is strange that Moneycorp have told you in writing that anyone who clicks through from your link will get the £20, because rule number one of the T&Cs says:

“1. The offer to receive an additional £20 (the “Offer Amount”) is exclusively available to customers that successfully place an order for a new white explorer multi-currency MasterCard® in a single journey starting at and load an initial amount of at least and equivalent to £50.00. The white explorer multi-currency MasterCard is subject to separate terms and conditions and eligibility requirements.”

It’s hard to see how an applicant from outside Facebook could challenge them if they decided not to give the bonus. Promises to third parties are not relevant. It’s not clear Moneycorp track journeys with cookies, but to avoid the risk, why not go via the Facebook ad (which you can find by searching “moneycorp explorer” within Facebook).

• You can do if you like, I don’t get paid for the sign-ups! However, I am dealing with the Product Manager at Moneycorp for this product so when he says you will get the money, you will get the money.

He probably avoids paying Facebook a commission this way too ….

• I’m all for doing that :) Quite handy it going through as a purchase too with Amex.

24. My purchase of a Moneycard is now on my Amex Platinum account and has earned points and no surcharge, so I assume is a purchase.

25. KoalaLee says:

MoneyCorp won’t let me order an Explorer Prepaid card because they could not verify my identify?!