New Qatar business class sale from £680 – from Helsinki

Qatar Airways has launched some more exceptional fares in Business Class.

This latest sale focuses on Helsinki.  This is not a bad place to start a Qatar Airways flight, given that Finnair flies there from Dublin, Edinburgh, Manchester and London.  BA also flies from London.  All of these connections can be booked using Avios points and, on some Finnair services from Heathrow, you will get a brand new A350 with flat beds in Business!

Here are some headline prices:

Helsinki – Abu Dhabi – €809 (£679)

Helsinki – Adelaide – €2,109 (£1,770)

Helsinki – Bangkok – €1,289 (£1,082)

Helsinki – Cape Town – €1,859 (£1,560)

Helsinki – Delhi – €1,229 (£1,031)

Helsinki – Dubai – €819 (£687 – but see the PS below re a great Stockholm fare)

Helsinki – Maldives – €1,679  (£1,409)

Helsinki – Sydney – €2,169  (£1,821)

Other destinations are available – take a look at the Helsinki offers page.  Note that there are some typos on that page where Qatar has written the economy fare where the business fare should be, and vice versa!

You must book by 15th August for travel in a narrow window between 10th October and 10th December.

A quick caveat:

Qatar Airways operates a short-haul A320 aircraft between Helsinki and Doha.

Business class usually looks like this:

Qatar A320

…. which is certainly not bad.  Beyond Doha you would be on a long haul plane if travelling outside the Middle East.

There is a small chance that you get one of the handful of A320 aircraft with older ‘recliner’ seating below although these are usually kept off European routes.  Feedback from people who have flown this also seems be OK for what is, after all, a day flight.

Qatar A320

Flying Manchester – Helsinki – Doha – Dubai is pretty darn convoluted, especially when Emirates will fly you direct!  If you treat the journey as a bit of fun, and you think of all the tier points and Avios you are earning as well as the money you are saving, you may consider it worth it.

On the Asia routes it makes more sense, especially when you think of the 560 BA tier points that Helsinki – Doha – Bangkok return would bring you.

Do check out Helsinki for half a day as well if you can.  If you need to stay over at the airport Hilton in Helsinki, my review is here.

Full details of the Qatar Airways Helsinki deals can be found here.

PS.  If you are heading to Dubai, there is an unadvertised Qatar Airways deal out of Stockholm at the moment.  This guarantees you a brand new Boeing 787 from Stockholm to Doha which beats the A320 hands down.  The fare is 9,136 SEK which is £816 (EDIT: comments below suggest fares of 8,461 SEK – £749 – are out there.).  It can be booked via the standard Qatar booking page here.  You should also check Qatar Airways fares to Dubai from London which have been around £1,000 on selected dates recently.

Important dates for your diary - offers about to close which you shouldn't miss
Bits: good Accor / Amex cashback deal, other Amex offers, 20% bonus on SPG to AA conversions

1. The lowest fare ARN to Dubai is actually 8461 SEK i.e. £749, I tried several dates in November.

2. James67 says:

Hopefully this will stimulate AY to launch some of their better offers exUK. I’m in market for two revenue returns to seAsia next March but as usual I don’t find exEU via ME very appealling; overall journey times are too long and the transit hours often too unsociable.

• James67

The airport hotel is great for 8 hours. My wife doesn’t like overnight flights so going via Doha is extremely handy.

• James67 says:

Wouldn’t be my cup of tea Yuff, thanks. I prefer to get the journey over with as quick as possible and i like overnght flights as I almost always sleep most of the way.

3. JamesWag says:

Will see if anything fits nicely into the Globetrotter promotion too.

4. The A320 business class usually looks a lot better than that! Most aircraft have the same seats as used by AA on the A321T in business class. If travelling with a partner I’d prefer the QR A320 to the QR 787.

5. Planeflyer says:

I think the photo of the A320 cabin there is of the “handful of A320 aircraft with older ‘recliner’ seating … usually kept off European routes”. I’ve certainly flown that cabin from Doha to Dubai and Alexandria. The few “longhual” A320s have proper lie flat seating, and I think is the same seat as on the refurbed A346.

I believe the HEL flights will mostly be served with this cabin, so not such a step down from the B787/A350/380 seat, and about on par with the A330/777 seat:

6. I found that QR fare a few days ago and posted it on flyer talk, its a great deal. However I have also been finding really great fares from other ex European cities to places such as BKK for around the 1000 mark and some even from the UK which I would say are pretty good deals.

• I need some UK (pref LHR) to BKK but are not seeing any discount fares at the moment (for my dates).

Where are you seeing the ex UK decent prices ?

7. The BA tier point calculator can’t find the Qatar operating a Helsinki-Doha route, so how can I see how many tier points this offer would give?

• This is probably because the route is fairly new? I had the same problem when I booked PSA-DOH but the BA calculator has now been updated and it shows 140 tier points. I imagine Helsinki will be the same as it’s a slightly longer route.

• HEL-DOH is 2,730 miles. This is 140 TPs

8. Would the DOHA to Dubai leg book into first or business (as its a 2 class aircraft)? ie would you get access to the posh first lounge at Doha?

9. will merrett says:

Off Topic but any news on the BA retrofit of the 747’s? Read it was completed today which means IFE upgrades for 18 of the 747 fleet. Not flow upper deck CW yet so keen to try and snag a ticket on a retrofit. Any way to tell which are done and which are old?

• Easiest way is to look up which planes are in rotation on the route you are interested in and then check the registrations on – if they show up as 86J (Super-High J) it means you’re in a retrofit aircraft.

10. £975 from the UK to Dubai, if you can’t be bothered with the schlep to Helsinki!

And I can see OTA’s offering £872 for MAN-DXB

11. I’ve never done one of these flights, is it worth the hassle, particularly as you can’t check your bags through at Helsinki, I’d be nervous about missing the plane.

Say to Bangkok you can fly BA Premium for that price, Premium in 1 flight Direct >> Business over 3 legs without checking bags through??

• It helps if you want the tier points and / or fancy a quick tour of Helsinki / Stockholm and / or are a bit of a plane geek :-)

• British Airways premium economy is a pretty poor product so I would say yes it is worth the changes and extra time in order to benefit from the comfort, service and tier points. That said it probably depends in part on where you live and what time you want to reach your destination. Later this year I am flying to Bangkok on an ex EU Qatar flight from Amsterdam which was sub €1,000 return. I live in London and will need to leave home at 0900 and will arrive in Bangkok at 1240 the following day. Timing works really well. With BA Premium Economy, I would need to leave home by 1300 and would arrive in BKK at 0925…..and probably find room not ready at the hotel. If living much further from Heathrow, the choice might de different – but then again there could be the possibility to take a positioning flight to Amsterdam from a local aerodrome. Amsterdam probably more convenient than Helsinki for an ex EU.

• will merrett says:

As raffles says -> the Tier points could be very handy (I personally would buy TP’s at £1 each so deduct this from the cost of any flight I’m looking at).

For the Helsinki fare its really interesting to a plane geek. In theory you could tick off the Finnair A350 in full flat business LHR-HEL, experience a Qatar Long Haul A320, which I agree is the best config if travelling with a partner, and get to sample the super posh Qatar Flounge on your way though Qatar. Krug’s £120 a bottle, I reckon I could do 2 bottles with a 3 hour layover :).

• Yeah I guess that makes sense, when I was last looking at flights, the main Qatar sale was from Pisa which is considerably harder to position for than Amsterdam.

If your positioning flight is late and you miss the main set of flights, does travel insurance cover you if you need to completely rebook?

12. dicksbits says:

Looks like you have to stay more than a few days… Looking at a TP for Dubai and it’s not coming up with any tasty fares unless you stay for a week!

13. HEL to BKK for £1082 plus the cost of a biz flight to HEL at perhaps £300 makes a total of £1400 or thereabouts and with the extra re-check in plus delay plus awful extra connection on the way back, it is a no brainer “no thanks” from me.

Finnair from LHR to BKK can be had from £1550 one some of my dates. Perhaps better on others ?

14. For those who need to travel to BKK twice, you might consider using the first ticket as a longer dated return and buying a BKK-LHR-BKK ticket as your return and then outward leg again.

Finnair has this currently from circa THB 55k which is about £1222.