‘Secret’ Hilton and Avis cashback deals with American Express launched

American Express seems to be trialling exclusive cashback deals for Facebook users.

Unfortunately, we are about to ruin their experiment by publicising the deal here and generating a few thousand sign-ups!

This is the deal:

You will receive £20 cashback on a £100 Hilton spend before 31st January and £20 cashback on a £100 Avis spend before 31st January.  The spend needs to take place in the UK.

You need to register for both deals at the same page which is here.

Note that there is a list of participating hotels for the Hilton deal which you should check if you are making a special stay.

Who can register?

It isn’t clear.  The offer is being promoted on Facebook so in theory it is not targetted.

However, when I tried to register my MBNA American Express card, I was told ‘sorry, this offer is by invitation only’.  I then tried to register my British Airways American Express card and my registration was accepted.

I recommend you give it a go with whatever cards you have to hand and see if one sticks.

Hilton Park Lane

The offer is limited to the first 15,000 Amex cards to be registered.

The reason the offers are being promoted together is that there is a linked competition.  Everyone who triggers both sets of cashback will be entered into a free draw.  Five winners will receive a one or two night break at the Hilton Park Lane in London (photo above) and another five winners will win a weekend Avis rental.

The registration page is here.

Bits: limited BA First food for 96 hours, reader loses 220,000 BMI Avios, double Heathrow Rewards on food
Is the Lloyds Avios Rewards credit card about to be dropped?

Comments

1. Check your Hilton Status folks, just had mine renewed for 2017 and retained Diamond (from status match), so another year of free breakfasts and lounge access (and another year of not using my IHG spire status).

• Mr(s) Entitled says:

Don’t get too excited. Hilton IT is poor in this regard.

The website will show you as Diamond because membership runs until 31/3 of the following year after obtaining status. In this instance, on 1/4/17 you will move to the appropriate tier.

The website will confuse most people because it has updated the counter to show progress for stays in the calendar year for 2017. This states that you are Diamond and to maintain Diamond you must….. but you can no longer maintain Diamond because that ship sailed in 2016. You can however earn it but good luck doing that between now and 31/3.

• Strange as for the last week the website contained the message that the counter was being reset for 2017. So when i see status retained then i would assume (without prior knowledge) that its valid for whole of 2018. My Amex Plat is the backup for Gold status if required.

• Mr(s) Entitled says:

It’s a reasonable assumption and one the website does little to dispel. The chat is a quick way to verify status expiration. I did just that on my status to ensure as such before posting. My application for the Amex Plat, and thus the Hilton Gold, will be going in shortly.

2. Not sure if this has been flagged but amex also showing a spend £300+ get £100 back on a booking with onefinestay. May be useful to someone.

3. BASilverflyer says:

OT but Hilton: Can I transfer my wife’s Amex MR points from her Amex account into MY Hhnonors account (so as to avoid paying the HHnors transfer fee?). Looking to book a redemption night in NZ…

• No, technically. You could try a 200 point test to see if it goes through anyway because of matching surnames.

• ankomonkey says:

@BASilverflyer, you might get lucky with this. Last year I registered my Hilton account in my wife’s MR account by accident and successfully made a transfer. I had to call Amex to get it removed and be able to link her Hilton and MR accounts for the transfer I was trying to make.

• Mr(s) Entitled says:

Mar 16 I moved 50k MR points from my account to my Hilton. In June I moved 62k MR from my wife’s AMEX to my Hilton. Shortly after each I closed the AMEX accounts so the Hilton account wasn’t linked to two different accounts at the same time which might throw up a red flag. Neither transfer was problematic.

4. I’ve come to understand that before booking any hilton property with any promotion or published rate it can sometimes be worthwhile calling the hotel in question directly to check if they have a better deal. If they do you still get points as you are booking direct with hilton, and usually get the hilton email confirmation to prove it. I would also like to sound a note of caution with respect to some of the offers you receive in Hilton emails. If the events office at one hotel I stayed recently is to be believed then some of these offers, e.g. recent autumn breaks, are provided by third parties, not hilton, and do not qualify for points. I am not sure if the latter is true or not but I thought it worthwhile to highlight it here.

5. Simon Schus says:

Hi all,

I had an email about the Hilton £20 back off offer last month, promoted in the context of my BA Amex. The offer said it expired on 31st January 2017, and also mentioned the Avis deal too.

I signed up from the link in the email, entering my BA AMEX and also my AMEX Platinum credit card. Both were ‘accepted’ insofar that there was no error for either card.

I had forgotten all about the offer as I wasn’t making high value Hilton spends.. However, I did have two *low-value* hotel stays, individually less than £100 but together totalling > £100 (one for £40 and one for £70, both UK Hilton hotels). Mysteriously, a few days after the second stay I had a £20 credit onto my Amex Platinum Credit Card to which both stays were charged – the £20 credit was listed as a refund from the second Hilton hotel. Maybe unconnected though the hotel had nothing to refund me, for, and this is how other Amex offer credits appear.

It should also be noted that one of the Hilton hotels (the first one, £70) was a pay-in-advance rate whereas the second Hilton hotel (£40) was a flexible rate that I paid on departure.

Simon

• TGLoyalty says:

Seems most AMEX offers are actually cumulative spend in a period unless they specifically say minimum single transaction.

6. rams1981 says:

OT has anyone lost virgin IT upgrade had any luck transferring points from Amex to Virgin?

7. Michelle says:

Is there any way you could book a Hilton through Amex travel and therefore get the £50 off £200 spend offer but arrange it so you pay upon check out and then get this £20 back as well?

8. Must one use the avisworld amex link to get the cash back or, would any booking through avis.co.uk work too?

9. Mark Phillips says:

Does the stay have to be completed by 31st January, or £100 spent on the Amex by 31st January for a future stay? It’s not 100% clear.

• The charge has to go through your card by 31st January, so if you prepay for a futuer date you need to hope the hotel does actually charge you quickly.

10. John O'Sullivan says:

Being treated very well at the Hilton Nordica Reykjavik, 1st night paid for twin exec plus, 2nd night reward night. E-mailed before arrival to ask if we could stay in the same room in order to prevent having to move, this was allowed. Exec room gives access to spa and lounge. Very nice snacks and alcoholic drinks 5-7.

Mentioned that stay was for my wife’s 50th birthday and a bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries in room on arrival. Voucher for two drinks in the lobby bar also delivered to the room.

Currently Diamond status from match from IHG creation card

• Trickster says:

Brilliant hotel and great little exec lounge where the staff are really friendly and helpful. Terrific breakfast in the main restaurant too.