50% bonus on Heathrow Rewards transfers to Avios – sign-up promo now worth 4,500 Avios

Heathrow Rewards, the loyalty scheme for shopping at Heathrow, has quietly launched a 50% bonus on transfers to Avios.

The offer is clearly flagged on the Heathrow Rewards site when you log in.  This offer ONLY applies to Avios and does not apply to:

Emirates Skywards

Virgin Flying Club

Etihad Guest

Lufthansa Miles & More

The bonus applies to all transfers to Avios made before 1st March.

Heathrow Rewards

This is why the deal is especially interesting:

You can currently earn 3,000 Heathrow Rewards points by opening an account and spending £150 in one day.

This is a very generous offer – as good as it has ever got with Heathrow Rewards.

You can combine these two deals as long as you do your qualifying spend this month.

Open a Heathrow Rewards account, spend £150 in a day and you will receive your 3,000 points.  Convert these to Avios before 1st March and you will receive 4,500 points!

The link to the 3,000 point sign-up offer is on the avios.com website here.

Register now for the new Hilton '2000 bonus points per night' promotion
My Air Nostrum flight reviewed, booked with Avios

Comments

1. Stewie Griffin says:

Warning all – Heathrow Rewards are trying to back out of the offer by saying Travelex does not count. I spoke to them on the phone and said their terms and conditions do not state this whatsoever and that they need to honour the original terms. They are actively trying to change the terms of the offer so expect to have to fight for the points to be honoured!

2. FrequentDriver says:

I had exactly the same thing with HR CS claiming “We regret to inform you that Travelex doesn’t participate in current promotion as you do not really spend money, but exchange it.”

Fortunately I am old and cynical thus saved a PDF of the offer Ts&Cs which was silent on excluding foreign currency transactions.

When I wrote back and rather sternly pointed out that the attached PDF flatly contradicted their assertion, they folded like a cheap suit and replied the the 3000 points ” as an exception, have been credited to your account” … :)

Avios Reward duly applied for, let’s see what quantity of Avios actually arrive in my Avios account – 4500, 3000 or zero !!!

• I’ve had a similar response three times and they don’t seem to be budging – when did they agree to give you the points?

They’ve also added a line to the terms and conditions to exclude foreign currency conversions that wasn’t there before. Sneaky…

• LaserBeams says:

Any chance of posting a link please with the PDF where they didn’t exclude foreign currency as I’m going to have the same argument with them?

• FrequentDriver please can you provide that pdf you saved as I’m in the same position.

3. FrequentDriver says:

Ask and ye shall receive :)

Please feel free to make use of the PDF uploaded here:

Argument:

I draw your attention to page 1 “Why collect with Heathrow Rewards” where it states “Join Heathrow Rewards today and use promotional code ‘AVIOSAO17’ to receive 3000 points when you spend £150 or more at Heathrow**.

I further draw your attention to page 2 “Terms and conditions” where it states “**The bonus points offer is available to new members of the Heathrow Rewards programme only who join using the above link or register their card and enter promo code AVIOSAO17 before 31 December 2017. 3000 points will be awarded when £150 or more of
    qualifying expenditure is made in a single day 31 December 2017 and the Heathrow Rewards card is used. Only one offer per member. Offer cannot be used in conjunction with any other joining offer. Heathrow Rewards terms and conditions apply.”

I further draw your attention to page 1 “What do you get with Heathrow Rewards” where it states “1 Heathrow Rewards point for every £10 of currency exchanged at a Bureau de Change”

I finally draw your attention to the absence of any specific exclusion clause for this promotion in relation to the purchase of foreign currency.

/Argument

4. FrequentDriver says:

You might also note that the wording of the page at “https://www.avios.com/gb/en_gb/collect/heathrowrewards/heathrowrewards-card” from which the above PDF was generated has now been changed, with the addition of the sentence “Offer not applicable to currency exchange purchases.” added to the “Terms and Conditions” section.

So if you didn’t get in before the update (which took place at some point between 27/01/2017 08:08 GMT and now) then you’re probably out of luck…

• Stewie Griffin says:

I had my points honoured on Wednesday 15th. I told them they were obliged to honour the offer terms as Frequent Driver has posted above, and that they could clearly see that the account signup and qualifying spend (4th Feb) took place whilst those terms were in effect.

My advice would be – do not pursue by email as they will attempt to fob you off with the most obstinate replies I’ve had in a long time. Deal with it on the phone and ask to speak with the supervising manager if the original call handler is initially obstructive.

I had a manual adjustment to add the 3000 points to the account – withdrew immediately and now have the 4500 as advertised, added in BAEC.

5. BillyBoy says:

Followed the advice above and had a result with 2nd email, no need to phone – I guess it depends on which agent you get :)

Anyhow, 3000 HR points credited and reward requested – let’s hope 4500 Avios come out of the other end of the process !

6. the real harry1 says:

indeed – Holiday Extras + 15% Amex statement credit + MSE discount easily beats any parking I’ve ever seen offered by LHR

I suppose if you can claim it back, you don’t really care as much, though

7. Harry any feedback on fly drive?
    I want to use good to go parking via HE but that is not cancellable.

8. the real harry1 says:

I have used FlyDrive 10 times now & they have been excellent – they have changed terminal for me free of charge on occasion – yes I recommend, car always perfect on return

9. the real harry1 says: