BA adds new weekend services from Birmingham and Bristol

No sooner has British Airways confirmed their new weekend services to Europe from Manchester (see here) than BA has announced routes from Birmingham and Bristol this summer.

It is a long time – 10 years for Birmingham – since the BA logo was last seen at a check-in counter at either of these airports.

As with the Manchester service, these flights will use one of the Embraer 190 aircraft which are usually based at London City Airport but which sit idle over the weekend whilst City is closed.

Both airports are gaining the same routes – Ibiza, Malaga, Palma and, a surprise fourth choice, Florence.

All flights operate once a week.  The operating dates are 20th May – 30th September 2017 for Ibiza / Palma and 20th May – 28th October for Florence / Malaga.

Here’s the timetable:

Bristol – Malaga

• Outbound 16.00 – 19.40 Saturday
  • Inbound 13.30 – 15.15 Saturday

Bristol – Palma

• Outbound 16.30 – 19.55 Saturday
  • Inbound 14.15 – 15.45 Saturday

These times don’t match up between inbound and outbound flights because the aircraft are switching between Birmingham and Bristol rotations.  The flight which lands in Palma from Bristol at 19.55, for example, returns at 20.40 but heads to Birmingham.

These will be two class flights so Club Europe is an option.  That said, the Embraer aircraft used are 2 x 2 seating throughout so the only difference will be lounge access and a free meal.

The flights are available for booking at ba.com.  As a minimum, you will have 2 x Club Europe and 4 x Eurotraveller seats available for Avios redemption.

My review of the Element Frankfurt Airport Hotel
Avios Ireland: Supervalu, a new Irish credit card option and how HFP will cover it

Comments

1. Just tried to book school holidays bristol to Florence and comes up with error message.

• I tried to book the same route yesterday but also got an error. The route and availability show up but when selecting flights it just shows an error about not being able to book online.

2. Hingeless says:

Why didn’t they think about deploying idle aircraft earlier?

• Lewis Watson says:

They used to charter them I remember booking Thomas Cook airlines from Glasgow to Spain years ago and was a BA city flyer

3. How old is that picture? There’s retro and there’s retro.

4. Great news on Bristol.

Competes with Easyjet which will be half the price at least.

5. Why have you got a picture of Birmingham from the 1960s?

• Thaat picture of Burninumm airport looks pos-tively futuristic to me, you shouldah seen Bristle airport back then!
      :) .

• Because it is quite cool, don’t you think?

I thought it would give HFP readers in Spain and Florence an idea of what they would see if they decided to spend a week in Birmingham using these new services ……

• To be fair it looks nothing like that now at all. I’m not sure it’s improved mind you. If Worzel thinks that view is futuristic Lord knows what he’s make of the new version.

• Worzel, that’s not the airport – that’s New Street Railway Station.

6. I wonder if these routes will be BoB? Stansted and City don’t have it yet

• Probably. BOB may be starting with the summer schedule on 26 March according to a comment on FT.

7. about blinkin time too! I can now put my ba avios to use without having to drive for 2 hrs!

8. Love the old picture – my hubby started working for Commercial Union Assurance back in 1975 and I started in 1980. They eventually merged with the GA then Norwich Union to become Aviva – great to see the old signage! Great company to work for!

• Liz, very late last night I left a suggestion for you to considef with your payment options. Not sure if you will have seen it.

• Yes I did thanks – we will phone and see it they take debit payments first then think again !

9. I booked BHX-FLR yesterday 1 way for £65. There was good award avaiability but at that orice it made no sense. Only downside is the late arrival which more ir less eliminates a useful weekend away trip.

10. Flight times could be better tho. First day of your holiday gone by the time you get to your hotel. Still, at least it’s some good news for Bristol / Birmingham

11. Really great back to backs for all those tp runners based Florence, Ibiza, Malaga and Palma!

12. the real harry1 says:

O/T
    Get double Tesco Clubcard points
    Every time you spend £25 or more on fuel at Esso until the 25th April you’ll get a voucher for double points on your next fill at participating Esso branded service stations. Remember to hold on to your till receipt voucher to collect the extra points. Esso branded service stations not participating in this promotion are 1) those with a Tesco shop and 2) those that do not participate in the Tesco Clubcard scheme.

• Good spot. The way I see it, if you value a CC point at 2p, then you essentially get 1p off per litre at Esso, so this will make it 2p off per litre. Possibly not worth making a special journey, especially if you can get fuel for cheaper elsewhere, but a decent deal if you buy at Esso anyway – definitely worth filling up £25 rather than £20!

• The Original Nick says:

It really does depend on where you buy your fuel from. All counties are different so if you live on a border of two different then you need to be keeping an eye on it all. Or, if you travel for a living then it’ll be completely different.

• Onto this, will be on SP tomorrow.

13. OT – anyone knows why some LHR MAD flights in the summer as being done on a 777?
    Im flying on the 720 flight on the 30th June
    Also if I pay for a seat .. it looks like it is a first class configuration

14. RussellH says:

Completely O/T

But I have not seen it mentioned here before:

Rob did do a piece about Avios and cash now being pretty much any combination you like.

Checked my Miles & More a/c last night and they are doing the same – it did not seem to be great value though!

• Yes, they kicked this off a couple of weeks ago. As you say, not great value – and as M&M miles are trickier to get in the UK, I doubt many readers would want to blow them like this.

• I’ve got 500 about to expire, so it may be the only way of getting any value from them at all.

• Hmm looks like you need to have a minimum balance of 7,000 miles to make use of this? Annoying if so, I’ve got just over 2k miles and this would have been a nice way to make use of them!

15. it’s interesting that whilst the Manchester flights are using a single aircraft from Thursday to Sunday – these flights are all on Saturday, and it looks like they are using four aircraft:

Aircraft #1

BHX-AGP Sat 23:05 – 02:55

Aircraft #4
    PMI-BRS Sat 14:15 – 15:45
    BRS-PMI Sat 16:30 – 19:55
    PMI-BHX Sat 20:40 – 22:15
    BHX-PMI Sat 23:00 – 02:30

I wonder how much of BA’s calculation is that they can make more money on these flights compared to flogging them out on charter routes, and how much was to get people in different parts of the UK flying BA, so that they will travel to London and fly BA again / more often ?!

16. rams1981 says:

OT Hilton points. Is there often value for them compared to cash price other than booking 5 nights for the price of 4?

17. rams1981 says:

OT to continue on Hilton I’m looking at booking a room to take advantage of the 5 nights for the price of 4 using points but the summary suggests it’s charging for 5 nights still. Has this benefit gone?

• rams1981 says:

KING GUEST ROOM
      Points (5 nights x 40,000) : 200,000
      DIA STANDARD RM RWD
      Change
      Total for stay: 200,000 points

• No it just reduces the cost of the points – say a room is 40k per night you will pay 160k instead of 200k – check the individual night cost first and it should recalculate – I did that for Washington later this year – bought 160k pts before the Brexit vote and then redeemed 5 for 4 – bargain!

• ankomonkey says:

Are you booking a standard redemption? The 5for4 doesn’t work for premium redemptions. It also doesn’t work for all their properties. I got nowhere arguing with CS that I couldn’t find anywhere on the site saying that certain properties are excluded, and when I invited them they also couldn’t find a place where it says this…

• rams1981 says:

thanks both. It was for a standard redemption. didn’t realise they factor in the reduction based on dates searched. As Liz says it was a 50k per night room.

£985 on hotels.com for same dates which works out to nearly 0.5p value which I’d be happy with. Direct Hilton booking works out to £880 using today’s FX rate so worst case I’d be getting 0.44p which seems ok?

• Continuing with Hilton, just learned from LL that Hilton Copenhagen switching from Hilton to Choice hotels. No news as to existing HHonors redemption being honoured although I doubt they will be going by my own previous experience.

18. Nate1309 says:

I have tried to book these flights (BRS-FLR) and I keep getting an error that the flights aren’t in amadeus. Has anyone managed to book these flights online?

19. OT – I don’t know what BA are playing at but I’ve had texts and emails today saying the 3 Man-Bremen flights I had booked for November have been cancelled (this is the 2nd time in 3 months they have cancelled flights I have booked). When I’ve gone on line to rebook I just get the message that they don’t fly this route! This is a long-standing route for BA/Sun-Air and there doesn’t seem to be anything in the news about it being cancelled. Has anyone else had similar problems? I’m starting to think there’s no point actually booking with BA any more as they seem so cavalier about wrecking people’s travel plans! I presume they won’t be compensating people for hotel bookings etc either.

• It’s cancelled, it was announced today. See HFP tomorrow.

• They seem to have a real downer on me at the moment. Three trips with them booked so far for this year, all either changed or cancelled. Do they have any obligation to find me alternative flights/destination? I really wanted a short break which didn’t involve going via Heathrow!

• Any news on what they will be doing about AB bookings? I’ve got two and so far so good but it’ll be challenging and/or expensive if they don’t honour them.

20. OT

Using Mac…and that bloody fifty shades advert is still f%cking up!!!!

Thought it was being removed for Mac users?!!!

Arghhhhh!!! PLEASE DITCH THESE ADS ROB

• Yes, they told me they would try to delete it today – the guy told me he thought he knew how to do it. Clearly not. Sorry.

Ironically he hasn’t got a Mac and I don’t have a Mac so it is difficult for anyone involved in this to actually see the problem.