Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

New BA Manchester flights now bookable – and new Stansted routes too

Last week we wrote about the new routes from Manchester Airport that British Airways is launching for Summer 2017.

These flights were not bookable at the time.  However, the routes were officially launched yesterday and you can now book for both cash and Avios at ba.com.

Here is a reminder of the routes together with the preliminary timings.  With just one flight per week on most routes, they won’t be a lot of use unless you are planning a 7-night holiday.

Alicante – 20 May – 30 September (Saturdays)
Depart Manchester 0550, arrive Alicante 0940
Depart Alicante  1025, arrive Manchester 1220

London City – 21 May – 1 October
Depart Manchester 1955, arrive London City 2055 (Sundays)
Depart London City 1945, arrive Manchester 2045 (Thursdays)

Ibiza – 18 May – 1 October
Depart Manchester 2125, arrive Ibiza 0115 (Thursdays)
Depart Manchester 1930, arrive Ibiza 2330 (Saturdays)
Depart Manchester 1250, arrive Ibiza 1640 (Sundays)
Depart Ibiza 0155, arrive Manchester 0330 (Fridays)
Depart Ibiza 0005, arrive Manchester 0150 (Sundays)
Depart Ibiza 1725, arrive Manchester 1910 (Sundays)

British Airways Vickers Viscount

Malaga – 19 May – 29 September (Fridays)
Depart Manchester 0535, arrive Malaga 0935
Depart Malaga 1020, arrive Manchester 1225

Mykonos – 19 May – 29 September (Fridays)
Depart Manchester 1310, arrive Mykonos 1910
Depart Mykonos 1955, arrive Manchester 2205

Palma – 21 May – 1 October (Sundays)
Depart Manchester 0550, arrive Palma 0935
Depart Palma 1020, arrive Manchester 1205

Nice – 20 May – 30 September (Saturdays)
Depart Manchester 1305, arrive Nice 1625
Depart Nice 1710, arrive Manchester 1835

Note that the London City service will not be bookable until 21st February.  It is possible that this is to tie in with the launch of tickets for domestic Club Europe flights which we know are launching later this spring.

If you liked the idea of Nice, be warned that Manchester to Nice in EuroTraveller prices up at 13,000 Avios return compared with 9,000 Avios from London.  This is because the flight is longer than 650 miles which pushes it into a higher pricing category.  Tax remains at £35 / £50 depending on class.

Remember that these flights operate with Embraer aircraft featuring 2 x 2 seating throughout so there is no ‘middle seat free’ in Club Europe.  You will get access to the BA lounge in Manchester or the Escape lounge in Stansted.

New Stansted services too

What did come as a surprise yesterday was the announcement of new weekend routes from London Stansted this summer.

The new routes will operate to Florence, Geneva and Nice.

Services to Ibiza, Palma, Malaga and Faro are being retained from last year, with increased frequencies to Ibiza and Palma.

Again, these routes are available for booking at ba.com.

Comments (36)

• Roland says:

New Stansted – Florence flights, I hope this doesn’t mean they’re dropping their City – Florence route!

• the real harry1 says:

interesting – lived in Firenze for a year & the nearest airport was Pisa!

• DIANE says:

OT – I have read this somewhere before but can’t find it.
    I have BA Amex Blue ( downgraded and am holding it until 2-4-1 used ). I am referring my husband , but we want the Black not the blue, but the referral link only offers option of blue. Am i right he needs just to apply for Blue, then upgrade immediately by phone ( once accepted ? ), and I will get 9000 miles for referral ? Thanks

• Rob says:

No. It’s easier. On the application page, there is an option at the bottom to switch to the paid card. Job done.

• Tim says:

This list of destinations is a roll-call from three decades ago. Is there really still interest in these? The Northern English (ex-Manchester) will have done all these routes, minus London City, sooooo many times before teenage, a long time ago.

• Evan says:

You don’t know what you’re talking about. Nice, Mykonos, Ibiza and Palma are probably still amongst the most sought after and expensive summer destinations available. Not everyone wants to go to Turkey.

• Tim says:

Booked Manchester to Malaga, Club Europe. We will be heading East of Malaga into one of the cubic, white pueblos I adore – sans chain hotels!

The thought of flying on an aircraft just 4 seats wide over such a distance worries my mother. The narrowest I remember flying on from Manchester to Spain in the 70’s was an old Dan Air BAC 1-11 which was 2 on one side and 3 on the other. I remember the seats at the over-wing emergency exits faced each other – I have never seen that since. I also remember people having to crouch to board a Dan Air Comet at Alicante. I was grateful to be travelling BEA on a shiny new 737.

Thanks Raffles!

• Tim says:

I would to review one of the very first BA flights from Manchester-Malaga – at least since the BEA days (yes I was there then too) – and in Club Europe. What would be the most appropriate channel? My TripAdvisor reviews run into many, many pages and I have more of their points than they know what to do with. Some editing may be required :-). I will be with my mother who never ceases to provide an alterantive opinion to my own.

Tim.