New IHG PointBreaks list of 100 x 5,000 point hotels released, book on Monday

Yesterday, IHG Rewards Club (the Holiday Inn, HI Express, Crowne Plaza, InterContinental etc group) released a “preview” of the new list of PointBreaks redemptions.

These rooms are a fantastic deal.

All of the 100 hotels below will be available for just 5,000 IHG Rewards Club points per night from Monday, saving up to 25,000 points per night in some cases.

PointBreaks availability is very limited so book ASAP if you are interested, as soon as bookings open up on Monday. Bookings are refundable as with a standard reward reservation so there is nothing to lose.  IHG works on US time – they are meant to go live about 5pm UK time but are often there an hour or so earlier.

You can book via the IHG PointBreaks page here or via the standard booking page hereIf the PointBreaks page has not yet been updated, it does not necessarily mean that the special deals below will not already be bookable – do a search on the hotel you want to check.

You will be able to book these hotels for dates up to 31st July.

Crowne Plaza Vilnius

You allowed a maximum of two bookings per individual hotel. Each booking can be for as many nights as you want.

Remember that if you attempt to amend your booking later by dropping a night or two the whole booking will reprice at the full rate.

This list is, frankly, not great.  There are no InterContinental hotels at all.  The Crowne Plaza Vilnius, picture above, is one the higher end options in Europe. However, as I always say, the world doesn’t work like that.  We all have our individual travel schedules for the next three months and – if any of these hotels prove suitable for your itinerary – you’ve got a great deal.

The list:  (remember that you cannot book until early afternoon on Monday):

UNITED KINGDOM:

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Benton Harbor
Holiday Inn Express Gaylord

Missouri

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Farmington
Staybridge Suites St Louis – Westport

North Carolina

Holiday Inn Express Clayton (SE Raleigh)
Holiday Inn Express Jacksonville

Candlewood Suites Richmond North-Glen Allen

Wisconsin

Candlewood Suites La Crosse

Wyoming

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Buffalo
Holiday Inn Sheridan-Convention Center

Bits: 1200 Avios with LEGO DC Heroes, Heathrow Rewards adds AerClub, Hilton gig tonight
Important dates for your diary - offers about to close which you shouldn't miss

Comments

1. Shame there’s no decent runs to PTY at present as the Crowne Plaza there would be most useful.

2. It is a disappointing list and IHG is becoming a disappointing hotel scheme. In the past I have been able to easily generate many points via their promotions and particularly the accelerate promotion.
    However as has been pointed out here many times the programme delivers very few status benefits. I have been Spire Ambassadot for 2 years but used this to obtain Hilton diamond last year. I then switched stays to Hilton primarily to improve my accelerate tasks which had become silly. have spire members.

The problem for IHG is that Hilton have been outstanding. You always get an upgrade, always get executive club access and of course a free breakfast.

My status fell back to gold in March and so I tried again for diamond and got a status match with a challenge. 8 nights in 90 days to keep diamond till march 2019!

Hilton clearly didn’t check my profile as I already had 4 stays, so last weekend I booked 4 last minute stays in two nearby Hilton properties as mattress runs. They were empty and the rooms were £55 a night. So for £200 I get diamond till 2019. Free breakfast alone will save this on the already booked rooms as the family are with me and we each have a room.

What’s this to do with IHG? Well in August the family are having a touring holiday. The rooms were booked sometime ago on fully flexible rates in total 6 nights in Intercons, 6 nights in crown plaza and 6 nights in a holiday inn . In the same cities I have also booked the same in Hilton properties. I had hoped IHG would have a promo but nothing so far and in the coming weeks I will need to firm up where I will stay. Given free breakfast and guaranteed upgrades Hilton are out in front.

Of course IHG are hugely successful (share price up from £28 to £38 in a year so they don’t have to care where I stay

• How did you get spire? Can you switch some of your stays to Hilton to keep diamond in 2019. I don’t think upgrades are guaranteed though but space available.

• barry Cutters says:

you are not comparing apples to apples.

IHG doesn’t have the best status benefits- However it is the easiest to earn points.
      Also the rates on IHG direct often are not much more to add breakfast.
      For someone who is staying mostly for work and wants to save as many points as possible for personal use , IHG is the way to go.

Accelerate and points break are a bonus. You haven’t lost anything if you don’t make the full bonus on AcC, or you don’t need to stay in one of there 100hotels for points break.
      -Do you expect them to put the times square hotels on points break, or maybe the park lane , or Amstel?

Plus you mentioned you had spire elite for years, but only got Hilton from a status match, and then a £200 mattress run-It also sounds as though IHG is easier to get status.

Im not criticising – just pointing out , the two schemes you compare both have their advantages, and for me IHG wins hands down

• The point is that despite Spire there are no real benefits. Hilton provide breakfast and executive lounge access, both guaranteed. This isn’t work spend it’s my dime.
        I have done well from IHG but the silly accelerate targets combined with lack of benefits makes Hilton, for the moment at least, a far better option for me.

£200 for diamond status is no different from $200 for ambassador and even that no longer guaranteed club access.

• I think you’ve done very well out of spire and I too would put business Hiltons way. It doesn’t sound like you can make the required 30 stays to keep diamond though. So I’m curious as to what you’ll do as you’ll be back to IHG in April 2019?

• Upgrades in IHG properties in North America are very reliable. 4 times out of 5 I would say I get a decent upgrade when staying in a property there as Spire. 2pm late checkout is also basically guaranteed as a Spire member – I cannot think of a single time when i have not been able to get 2pm. I agree though that there no other tangible benefits to being Spire.

Ultimately though Hilton properties are on average more expensive pointswise compared to IHG properties and it is a lot easier to earn points with IHG. I personally prefer the IHG program but I appreciate the guaranteed benefits with Hilton are better.

• Remember that the benefits for Hilton Gold also include free breakfast and you can get that with a short Amex Platinum (and for another too).

• barry Cutters says:

Benefits are obv not guaranteed but as a spire i regularly get an upgrade in HI , and CP in the UK.
          In HI normally book a standard and get an executive.
          Also normally get lounge access at Heathrow, Liverpool, London the city, Marlow, oxford, reading CP
          In jan was upgraded to a one bed suite at the Amsterdam south CP, had lounge access there too.

I always book a room with breakfast , but i guess the issue is on reward stays.

• I agree one downside is no free breakfast for reward stays but if you ask at checkin many hotels will offer a discount on the breakfast price another downside is lack of executive lounge access at CP properties even with spire status.

The benefits are it is easier to earn status and earn points as well as the generous promotions for points with the accelerate promotions, what it does mean is that people are more likely to spend some money at the IHG properties with breakfast, which I am sure they do intentionally.

• Did appreciate free Hilton Diamond brekky at Conrad Tokyo last week after paying £100 per day at IC HK despite being Spire Ambassador etc.

• I have to agree with Paul that it is a no brainer for me to keep with Hilton as a Diamond member for all the reasons given, Most of the benefits with Hilton are guaranteed whereas it seems IHG are barely given, even for Ambassador status or Spire. I’ve stayed at Conrads four times now on points and cash stays and always been given a suite which, with the breakfasts, lounge access, evening cocktails and early check-ins/ late checkouts. Then again I’ve also had all the above but mainly Exec rooms with the odd suite upgrade with Hilton brand hotels. It is a pity with the change of Honors that the Hampton by Hilton at Newport/East which was 5000 points, was a great place for mattress runs

3. One of the hotels in Michigan sounds amusing.

Not sure I will be using any of them, I don’t think a weekend in Bradford or Bolton will appeal to Mrs Gavin!

• Sandgrounder says:

Last time I tried to stay at the Holiday Inn Birmingham M6, Jct.7 I ended up driving home the same night, and they gave me a refund and 5000 points. Thanks, but no thanks!

4. Barry cutters says:

Any chance of getting a similar double points deal again rob?

That was great

5. As it happens I need to be in Berlin on 1st July (Pet Shop Boys)….whilst there’s a Hol Inn Exp adjacent to the venue at 20K/night, I could easily be swayed to go a bit further east & would be a pleasant enough walk to & from the venue.

Like you said Rob – while the list is not necessarily appearing appealing we all have our individual travel schedules for the next three months & this happens to slot in fine. Just need to remember to book on Monday 😉

• The holiday Inn opposite the arena is recommended as it was one of the first with the open lobby concept. Ive scored a upgrade on 2 out of 4 visits with IHG platinum.

• I’m really struggling – that Hol Inn is *so* handy but the other one is a quarter of its points price!

6. Any news on next Accelerate now the current earning period has ended?

7. Has anyone stayed at any of the HUALUXE hotels? They seem to be well regarded on trip adviser but I’d prefer a HfP’ers review.

• No. They are ‘China only’ I believe.

• Ok thanks Rob. They are on my todo list so if no one stays before we do and you would like a review then happy to oblige. Will let you know nearer the time if you are interested.

• Yes, I’d be interested in an introductory article so that readers (and myself) can learn more about the brand, in the same way we did the ‘element’ reviews for Starwood last year.

8. RussellH says:

Re IHG Status.

I only have gold – it would be nice if earning Gold through stays as well as having an IHG credit card ==> Platinum!

Three stays in the last six weeks, all points, all Holiday Inns. 1 x 5 000 and 2 x 10 000. In all three cases we both got free drinks without my having to ask and for the latter two we also got free nibbles, which I thought was Platinum only. Anyone know if the rules have changed recently? (I have looked but cannot find this sort of detail anywhere.) Anyway, I call that a good plus.
    :-)

As to the new points breaks, Brno could have been interesting, but the HI there is on the edge of town, by the convention centre and some 3km from the centre of town:-(

• The black CC gets you platinum status. The benefits are well.worth the £99 fee.

• Which card is this you’re referring to. I’d be interested in getting one. Thanks.

• Genghis says:
        • RussellH says:

The free card gets you Gold status. Neither of us can see the value in paying £99 for a credit card[1]. By Rob’s own calculation, the extra 10 000 points cf the free card is only worth about £40. That means I need to get an additional £59 worth of points – 14 750 points!

Of course, I would get some additional points for Platinum rather than Gold, but that is still some £1000 of spend just on IHG hotels and there is no way we are going to do that in the next couple of years. We still have plenty of points from previous accelerate promotions, though the last two have been pretty impossible to achieve.

[1] The only exceptions I would make would be the Starwood Amex, which I had for about six weeks, and the Platinum Amex for the car hire cover, again to be held for just a few weeks.

• The paid card also gets you a free night in any IHG after £10k spend whcihc is worth £250+. The SPG Amex you have to spend £25k for a free night in a low category hotel.

• RussellH says:

1. I cannot see me ever putting £10 000 onto a single credit card in one year.

2. One free night, even if worth £250, is not that valuable to me. One night stops are usually motorway overninghts at HI or HIE, or occasional airport overnights, and I would get nothing like £250 value from any of those.

If I were to use it at a city centre IC, then I would want at least one extra night, if not two, which effectively makes the cost of using the voucher another £250 at least.

Now if they were to give £250 of points – by Rob’s calculation that would be 62 500 – that would be worth having.

I entirely agree that spending £25 000 on a Starwood Amex for the point bonus is rediculous. All I was interested in was the sign up bonus for £1 000 spend – and much of that had to be my annual top up of my CAF account.

• Brighton Belle says:

I can see the black rewards card is worth it in year 1 where you get the sign-up bonus of IHG Points which offsets the fee but I am thinking the £99 fee in year 2 and a free room at £10000 spend is tougher to justify. A free drink and a bag of crisps on arrival plus a possible upgrade doesn’t over excite me. I have the card and might kill it at 366 days without a good reason and push the spend to something with a better payback. Any other reasons to sustain PLATINUM status? Accor status match doesn’t work anymore.

9. I think I got a good deal from upgrading to the paid for credit card last week. I had 3 night reward in the CP Times Square and got a $10 Breakfast buffet voucher. The kids also ate free.

Then my 4 nights in Woborn, Boston was part points and part cash landed me a room on the exec floor and lounge access (small but functional). This meant breakfast was free for us all. If we ate downstairs in the restaurant it would have been $15 each for the same buffet selection.

• Ramones says:

Kids eating free at IHG properties (CP, HI, Intercontinental) is a great benefit that no one really seems to mention on this site.

• Its a good benefit but unfortunately in my experience the food choices are often from a kids menu devoid of anything green. The exception has been breakfast which is usually the same buffet but mine rarely ever wanted more than cereal.

As a family of teenagers now, the need have changed and as Rob pointed out earlier in the replies, breakfast can top £100 day in top hotels. At the IC Times Square last year it would have set me back $160 once taxes were included and then there is the tip! Frankly that’s mad. In New York of course you can eat anywhere and we did but that not always practical or convenient. When my kids were young I don’t think we stayed anywhere other than IHG but now having to feed and water 4 adults each day the Hilton free breakfast and Diamond lounge access is worth a great deal. I might add that the use of points to offset room costs is also very handy

10. Colchester here I come! I have an offer of 10,000 bonus points on next stay. Would booking a PointBreaks room or charging food to the room trigger the bonus?

I think I know the answer.

11. Genghis says:

OT. RC reward stay. Should I get points for F&B spend?

• Ramones says:

I completed recent reward stay @ CP Auckland and bar bill points (lots) posted. Also got great room upgrade so great redemption.

• TGLoyalty says:

Personally don’t understand why any hotel group wouldn’t offer points on all F&B spend weather it’s reward / 3rd party or otherwise.

I know it’s not a huge difference but I know I’m more likely to eat / drink at the hotel then go elsewhere and actively go elsewhere if I’m not being rewarded for my loyalty.

• RussellH says:

I have always received points for food + drink at IHG, Hilton, Carlson and Marriott when the room was paid on points.Also Accor points + cash. At least in the UK and Belgium.

• Genghis says:

After a bit of research, it seems RC only give Marriott points on room only.

12. can you book 2 rooms for the same day using the Points break at 5000 points each?

• Yes, but you need to make separate bookings for each room (this applies to any IHG reward booking, not just PB).

13. Going to try for 2 nights at Marana, Arizona HIX – that will give me 3 nights on Points Break, 1 night free IHG cert, 2 free Hotels.com nights, 6 cash nights and the remainder 16 nights on IHG pts.

14. The HI East Berlin is on offer the better options.

15. Smellyden says:

Has anyone stayed at the Holiday Inn Budapest – Budaörs is it far from the city centre?

16. Richard says:

Darn it. I need a night at ORD but the HI Rosemount shows as 20k points for night of 25th July. I thought if they were fully booked on points it would show no further points availability?

17. ^^oops this is a duplicate from above. Was going to say i have a stay at CP Auckland coming up so thanks for the info!

18. Dunno what was going on with my phone yesterday, sorry!