Bits: 1200 Avios with a £25 NOW TV box, 30% bonus when you buy Hyatt points

News in brief:

Get 1,200 Avios with a £25 NOW TV box

Tesco Direct is giving away 500 Clubcard points (1,200 Avios or 1,250 Virgin miles) with a £25 NOW TV box.  NOW TV is very similar to Google Chromecast or Amazon Fire Stick, connecting to your broadband and streaming content to your TV.

There are three versions, each of which comes with a different free gift:

Full details are in this Shopper Points article.  The offer ends 24th May.

world-of-hyatt

30% bonus when you buy Hyatt points

Until 23rd May, Hyatt is offering a 30% bonus when you buy World of Hyatt points.

This is obviously worth a look if you need to top up your account.  It may also be worthwhile if considering a stay in a top tier Park Hyatt such as the ones in Paris or Sydney, where buying the points may be cheaper than paying cash.

The new Park Hyatt resort in Mallorca is another location where buying points may make sense.   Prices for cash are still a little scary – rooms from Euro 545 in August, or Euro 680 if you want a cancellable one – despite being about 25% lower than they were in 2016.  A redemption at 20,000 points per night ($360) would be a good deal.

The Hyatt ‘buy points’ site is here.

Earn 9,000 Avios for a 3-day Avis weekend car rental
I check out the new British Airways domestic Club Europe

Comments

1. I NEED AVIOS says:

OT have a two £3000 spend coming up what’s the
    best card/s to get the most avios.
    My wife & I have had the Gold Amex & cancelled in last six months so can’t do that.
    Was thinking two BA PLAT AMEX CARDS but £390
    seems to be a lot to spend to the around 60,000
    avios ?
    Any other ideas ? Thanks

• Roger says:

You can always cancel after spend and get pro rata refund.
      If you time rightly you can be out with paying just a month’s fees.

• the real harry1 says:

you wouldn’t get the points with the Plat – as within 6 months of cancelling the Gold

however, each of you can get an Amex-issued Amex card in your own name (with the other as supplementary cardholder if you like ) – so maybe 1 additional bonus is possible if you mean you previously had only 1 main cardholder between you & your wife)

otherwise look at the BA Amex cards

• JamesB says:

OT @TRH et al, £75 off naked wines amex offer has reappeared.

• Lloyds if getting the avios is not urgent
      You mean the BA premium amex (no such thing as BA plat) – for £3000 spend you only need one card, and can get the fee prorated if you downgrade to the free card – but depends if you want to get to £10000 spend for the 241 voucher

• If you can hit the £10k spend for a 2-4-1 voucher – would that be better value than having the extra 30k avios by having a 2nd card?

• Tariq says:

In my view the 241 is worth upwards of 100k Avios if used well.

• BrianDT says:

For goodness sake, look at the May update above. There is a ton of info available on here, if only you look.

• Why the rant ? He’s entitled to ask a question. If no one chooses to respond then so be it. Your post adds nothing to the topic. The 241 voucher is the best route for your amount of spend.

• NEED AVIOS says:

Thanks for all your replays.

We have both had the AMEX GOLD in our names in the last six months & cancelled so can’t do that.

241 does not work for us as we don’t travel together.

Think the best is PREM BA AMEX CARD & pro rate cancel we we have the points.

Unless anyone knows better ?

• the real harry1 says:

there’s never a best but getting one of the Prems in each of your names – and cancelling both once you hit the spend targets & bank the points – would be good

• Alex W says:

You could get 2 x SPG Amex, could be a good option especially if one refers the other.

2. Roger says:

Looks like MBNA has brought back sign up bonus on Virgin card again, now ending 28th June.
    25K / 10K VS Miles for Black / White card respectively.

• Paulm says:

Does anyone know if you can get these bonuses if you have held the cards before ? Any time limit before re applying?

• Genghis says:

Yes. No idea of time limit. Mrs G and I have both reapplied within about 4 months and got the bonus

• Paulm says:

• JamesB says:

Thanks, answered my question before I asked 🙂
          BTW, how did things go at DT KL?

• Genghis says:

Got a suite upgrade at DT KL. Absolute bargain (2 nights @10k less 5k rebate (2k promo and diamond bonus) = net 7.5k per night. Very good hard product. The hotel is seriously understaffed however. The poor guy in the lounge was running round like a headless chicken.

• Thank you!

• Excellent, think I’ll close my white card and reopen it in a month! £145 for 18k extra on the black (15k difference in sign-up and 3k extra assuming £3k spend on the Amex) makes it 0.8ppm which is a bit pricey for me given I value them at 0.75p. Appreciate there are vouchers too but can’t see me making use of them.

• Genghis says:

I referred Mrs G about 6 weeks ago for the Virgin White. She has earned the sign up bonus through the £1k spend. Does anyone have any experience on when I should get my 3k referral bonus?

• JamesB says:

How did you do that, I didn’t even know you could refer anybody for an mbna card?

• It’s a weird system, you need to receive an email from them to make referrals. It can take months for that to arrive so you can’t refer people for quite a while.

• JamesB says:

Thanks Alan, wouldn’t work for me then as I’m too partial to churning. Agree with your rationale on the black card, only ever took it out the time the sign up bonus was over 30k and I used it for spire IIRC. It is sonewhat ironic that the biggest benefit of spire was stagus match to honors diamond and IHG ended up losing business in my case.

• And don’t expect to get the points!

My wife got a referral code late last year. I never got a single referral point credited but, last week, a big slug randomly appeared, some 5 months old.

• Should appear by Christmas in my recent experience!

• Genghis says:

Hmm. Not worth it then when we could churn again in that time!

3. Crafty says:

OT: The redemption chart for Iberostar hotels has as of 1 January 2017 become significantly more expensive than in the last HFP article. See https://www.iberia.com/web/webPartners.do?service=/web/showPartner.do&language=en&menuId=WPHOTL&idPartner=230454&BV_UseBVCookie=no&utm_medium=afilia&utm_source=cj&utm_campaign=cj.gene

Apologies if already mentioned, thought it worth pointing out for others.

• We did an update on that article recently. It has shot up I agree.

• dgsupersonic says:

There’s a 20% off promotion for redemptions in May and June for the Canaries properties. May turn out to be of good value depending on going cash rate.

4. Lady London says:

Links not working? Am not in UK at present, is it just me not able to use the links?

• Lady London says:

Think it’s just your link not working, Rob, have got in directly which was a pfaff, would rather your link had worked 🙂

5. Dannyrado says:

OT: Where do you find the free night voucher from creation for the IHG cc? Creation online tells me that I’ve earned one, it just isn’t apparent where it actually is.

• Have you reached your one year anniversary of holding the Creation card yet? Remember it doesn’t trigger immediately upon hitting £10k. If you’ve earned it the should appear in your IHG account at the one year anniversary or account opening.

• You get it at the end of the card year, not now.

6. Nick_C says:

O/T. Have only flown in BA Club World once, which was an unexpected upgrade. The lack of storage was a real nuisance. Are there any hooks that you could hang a draw string bag from? Or can you attach a suction cup hook anywhere? Will be flying on an A380 and unlikely to get a window seat.

• Genghis says:

I don’t really find lack of storage much of a problem, even where there is no storage next to the window. I think there should be more places in the toilet to put stuff, however – useful when I’m changing into my PJs