How to earn 10,000 Avios with your next five Hilton stays

Hilton has launched an aggressive promotion with Avios to encourage you to move your stays across to them this Summer.

You can earn 10,000 Avios from your next five Hilton stays.  Importantly, there are no spend, brand or night caps.

It may even be enough to tip the balance if you were thinking of doing a mattress run for Hilton Diamond or Gold status.  Let me explain ….

Hilton St Georges Park pool

How the deal works

The current general Hilton Honors promotion, which runs until 31st August, offers double base points on all stays (triple points for Hilton Diamond members).  I wrote about this promotion here and you will find the registration link in that article.  You should register for that offer even if you intend to take part in this new Avios offer.

The new Avios promotion works alongside the double points offer.  You will receive both.

The Avios offer is outlined on this page, where you can also register.

In summary:

You will earn 2,000 bonus Avios on each of your next 5 Hilton stays

ALL Hilton stays count, at any brand, of any length of stay, of any price.  Reward stays may or may not count, as you would usually not receive miles – only points – on incidental spend on reward stays.

You need to register for the offer via this page

You need to change your Hilton Honors earning preference in your profile to ‘Points and Miles’ and set British Airways Executive Club as your airline partner

Stays must be completed by 31st August

This offer will work alongside the ‘double base points’ offer.  So, for example, for a member without status:

‘Points and Miles’ standard earning rate: 10 base Hilton points per $1 spent plus 1 Avios per $1 spent

Rate after registering for the Avios offer:  10 base Hilton points per $1 spent plus 1 Avios per $1 spent plus 2000 Avios bonus

Rate after registering for both offers:  20 base Hilton points per $1 spent plus 1 Avios per $1 spent plus 2000 Avios bonus

This is a pretty chunky rebate.  A spend of £50 would trigger, adjusting for VAT, roughly 1,080 Hilton points plus 2,042 Avios.  That is worth about £20-£25 to most people.  Hilton status members would receive even more.

Don’t forget to register for the ‘2000 Avios’ offer here and the ‘double base points’ offer here.

Hilton Venice

Why should you consider a mattress run to get Hilton status?

Hilton is currently offering a path to status until 31st March 2019 if you have status with another hotel programme.  Details are here.

Here are the rules:

If you have top tier status in another programme, you will get 90 days of Hilton Diamond with an extension to 31st March 2019 if you complete 8 stays in 90 days

If you have mid tier status in another programme, you will get 90 days of Hilton Gold with an extension to 31st March 2019 if you complete 4 stays in 90 days

Hilton status can be valuable.  A Diamond member is guaranteed club lounge access at properties with a lounge, plus free breakfast.  A Gold member is guaranteed free breakfast.  (Some brands are excluded from this, mainly Waldorf-Astoria.)  There are also upgrade and late check-out benefits.

The full list of Hilton Honors Diamond status benefits is here.

Let’s imagine that you can’t move 4 or 8 stays to Hilton within 90 days.  Do you, however, have a cheap Hilton property near where you live or work?

Let’s imagine there is a local hotel selling for £50 on a quiet Friday, Saturday or Sunday night.  If you booked yourself in for 4 or 8 one-night stays, you would earn 2,000 Avios on each of your first five stays plus double Hilton base points (triple base points if you are doing a Diamond challenge) via the other promotion.

Depending on how you valued the Avios and Hilton points, your net cost for achieving Hilton Diamond could be around £250.  Hilton Gold could have a net cost of at little as £100 after factoring in 8,000 Avios plus the base Hilton points from 4 x £50 stays.

This is a worse case scenario.  If you can manage a few Hilton stays from your existing travel plans, the net cost to do the extra mattress run nights would be even lower.

You need to think this through, of course.  Hilton Diamond doesn’t have much value if your travel plans between now and 31st March 2019 won’t feature a few high-end Hilton / Conrad / Waldorf-Astoria hotels, preferably ones with executive lounges.

For what it’s worth, I registered for the Hilton Diamond match before our recent trip to Asia and, through a combination of holiday stays, work stays and a couple of mattress run nights, I will hit the eight nights target.

You can register for the Hilton status match here.

Bits: 25% off a Priority Pass, Avios-earning Finnair sale
Bits: Waitrose / Virgin - up and down, BA to launch airside in-app upgrades

Comments

1. Relaxo says:

Would this promo work with the public sector rate/code?

2. Optimus Prime says:

If you choose P&P and a Double Points rate – do you get double points on both base and bonus points?

3. Does anyone know what matches to Diamond with hilton?

4. Sussex bantam says:

This article prompted me to take a look at upcoming bookings in BOS to find that Hilton have a ‘20% off in Boston’ sale currently.

Bookings cancelled and rebooked to qualify for this offer at a substantial saving ! Cheers !

5. Does the offer work on bookings already made via the app?

6. Tocsin says:

I signed up a couple of days ago, after a stay at Tallinn 21-24 May (LHR-HEL-TLL RIP 🙁 ) – because the stay hadn’t yet posted, I presume, I got the bonus miles!

7. Targeted, I think.

8. Colin JE says:

Does anyone know if Hilton give Gold if you register for Platinum, but then only complete 4 stays?

• Apparently, yes, they do. And the wording on the site sort of says that, albeit not explicitly.

• Mark LLL says:

Yes, from older comments in this thread, Honors Gold at 4 -7 stays.

• Colin JE says:

Thanks Rob and Mark,
        Have applied (though it took three goes before the form came back as successful) and it apparently will take 5 days for them to apply the status. I had assumed that you had to ask for either Platinum or Gold when you applied, but you just say on the form what status you have with the competitor. Just need to see what I can manage in that 90 days. Shame it’s not measured in days instead of stays. I’ll have to do some hotel hopping between nights to manage 4 stays, but 8 will be a push.

• Mark LLL says:

Sorry Rob, I did not see your reply before I posted.
      My connection quite slow 🙂

9. Mark LLL says:

Rob,
    Maybe next time you speak with your contacts at Hilton you could amuse them with this silly IT anomaly from their online credit card application pages:

I would like to apply for the Barclaycard Hilton Platinum Visa credit card but the online application form rejects my Isle of Man address – I tried with and without my postcode.

I assume that Barlays do not accept applications from IoM residents – fair enough.

Oddly though, Barclays online Eligibility Checker form seems perfectly happy with my IoM address.
    I say seems, I have gone only as far as completing the online eligibility check form but have not actually submitted it. My home address is listed in their forms address field 😉

10. But wouldn’t separate bookings of consecutive nights get treated as 1 stay by Hilton? That’s what they told me when I asked on their chat. They said even if you booked each night individually and checked out and back in each day it would still be considered 1 stay for all the nights that are consecutive…

• Correct. And irrespective of how the hotel processes it, HH IT can manage the ‘not entirely tricky’ task of merging consecutive nights into 1 stay.

• Barras says:

Presumably you would be okay though if you switched properties if feasible? I.e. three consecutive nights booked at Hotel A, then B, then A – would then count as three stays?

11. I am 1 stay away from my Diamond status match offer of 8 nights.

I need to do a mattress run but all hotels near me in London are very pricey. Do I need to go to the hotel or can I just digital check-in to a hotel further up North and not physically go there?

• You must turn up. Innkeepers Act in the UK requires you to sign at a front desk irrespective.

Hatton Cross is only £65 or so on quiet nights.

12. Andrew H says:

Are Points and Money bookings eligible for this avios offer?

• I’ve seen reports of full points redemptions getting the Avios so I’d have thought so – nothing to lose anyway!

13. Has anyone seen anything hit BA accounts yet? 3 stays in my Hilton account showing as the 2000 avios offer but nothing in BA.

• MattyB says:

Seems we may be waiting some time….

Allow up to six weeks after check-out, and after promotion has ended, for miles to be credited to your account

• Thanks. I have a few stays as Matt above where it’s showing the bonus points in my Hilton account but not yet in my BA account (although the double points from the parallel Hilton offer have posted to BA). Hopefully all will be ok, just have to wait to end of promotion period.

• I’ve got nothing showing up so far Avios-wise on a redemption stay – am dubious they’ll post, but we’ll see!