Got Amex Gold / Plat? Get 3,000 free MR points with the companion credit card

If you currently have an American Express Preferred Rewards Gold or American Express Platinum charge card, you should be eligible for a special offer for five days only.

If you add the (free) Platinum credit card or (free) Gold credit card to your account, you will receive 3,000 Membership Rewards points.

Amex Gold credit card

To see this offer, you need to log in to the statement page on the American Express website, desktop or mobile version.  It is not on the American Express app.

You should see a banner ad at the top of the statement page together with a link to click to apply.  Most people appear to have it although I doubt everyone will see it.

The representative APR on both credit cards is 14.9% variable.

Why would you want this? Well, there is one good reason – you receive 3,000 Membership Rewards points for signing up!  As the Amex Gold or Amex Plat credit cards are free, you are getting points for literally nothing (except for, presumably, a ding on your credit report).

There isn’t much else to add:

You need to spend £500 in three months to receive the 3,000 Membership Rewards points

You will earn 1 Membership Rewards points for each £1 spent

There is no annual fee

In theory you must cancel your credit card if you cancel your Gold or Platinum charge card.

However, some people report that they are allowed to keep their credit card when cancelling the charge card.  There is no pattern as to why, but if Amex allows you to do this then you do not need to empty out your Membership Rewards account – although you won’t reset the six month clock on when you can reapply for a charge card until you do.

Amex credit card

Is there much point to having this card for the long term?  No.

Fundamentally, Amex is encouraging you to run up debt that you cannot afford to instantly repay, otherwise you would use your charge card instead.  It will make your wallet thicker without adding any extra flexibility to how you spend, since it can’t be used anywhere where your Amex Gold or Platinum charge card isn’t already accepted.

If you DO pay interest on your credit card bill every month, then you do NOT want to be doing it on this card given the 14.9% interest rate.  There is only one low rate credit card which also offer points and that is the Tesco Clubcard Low Rate MasterCard.  This lets you earn Avios points or Virgin Flying Club miles, if you convert the Clubcard points, and has a market leading low interest rate of 5.9% variable.  You can apply for the Tesco Low Rate MasterCard here.

3,000 Membership Rewards points is worth having – that is 3,000 Avios or Virgin Flying Club miles.  Just don’t start running a balance on the card and paying 14.9% interest.

How to book Best Western hotels with Tesco Clubcard vouchers
My review of the Escape Lounge at Stansted Airport

Comments

1. Just remember that if you keep the companion card after you cancel your charge card that it will keep your MR account open. This will prevent you from churning your charge card as any sign up bonus is normally 6 months from when you cancel your last MR account.

I made this mistake last year as failed to cancel the card when I cancelled my plat charge card, which has delayed a further churn. Note I was not charged a fee for keeping the MR account as James M was.

2. Just tried to apply for the C.C. on my Gold Chargecard hompage using the link. Applied but told system unavailable. Went back in 15 minutes later, suprise suprise, the link has disappeared to enable me to apply and earn the 3,000 amex membership rewards!

• Clearing cookies or using a different browser may bring it back.

• I saw a similar error about a month ago when I was ordering a supplementary Plat card, so I tried twice more and got the same error.. 2 days later 3 platinum cards arrived in the post. Worth ringing them up to see if they have a pending order for your card.

3. I can’t see it anywhere :(

4. Alex W says:

If one cancels the charge card and only holds the credit card, can you then refer someone for the charge card and get the referral bonus?

5. Charlie Whiskey says:

No sign of this at all.

6. I’ve got a Gold Chargecard – seems I can apply for both Gold and Platinum Credit cards using the links above (thanks Simon and James!). Any advice on which to choose eg. would the latter be classed as a “companion” card? Would MR points accrue to my Gold account if I went for the Plat.?

7. Graham Walsh says:

OT I upgraded my Gold Charge to Platinum. Forgot about the 10k spend bonus. However when I applied the website said they would be in touch as needed more info. Came home from work trip yesterday to find a new Plat card here including the Priority Pass.

Also a quick email to Amx asking for the 10k points from the Gold card and they posted this morning. They said they would post within 60 days. It’s been 30 days since 1yr anniversary of the Gold card.

8. Rob, I’m assuming you have contacts at BA, Amex and others. I’d enjoy a slightly off topic article about whether they discuss the impact of HfP and similar sites on their marketing/bonus/offers strategy. Also what your own thoughts on it are. For instance I’ve just churned the Amex Gold and it seems so painless and obvious that you wonder why they allow it. Now idea what proportion of people do this, or what the real cost is, but a somewhat insiders view would be interesting.

• I don’t think having that sort of discussion in public would have a happy result for anyone.

• Genghis says:

How about an article (more of a discussion) where people share where they’ve been recently on points and more importantly how they have got to earn those points / benefits? Any traction?

• Pangolin says:

I second that motion!

• Graeme says:

Definitely. I often find that’s where I learn really valuable tips.

• That’s a good idea I can get on board with.. 😀

Seriously though, I find such stories uplifting and inspiring, as much as I bleat on about BA’s deliberate decision to give poor service, I honestly want to experience great destinations and great flights to get there for great value.

• the real harry1 says:

I always like to hear about redemptions, big & small

ours are on the small side but we get about 40 a year

• robert says:

• the real harry1 says:

No idea what the real cost is?

Try £200+, try £400+

9. Graham Walsh says:

Oh and my Platinum fee was charged straight away.

• So the IT glitch is sorted then? Damn! I’ve had 2 years of free plat and had hoped for another spin.

10. JASON WILTSHIRE says:

Doesn’t appear anywhere for me.

Anyone got a link?

11. To put this offer into perspective, £30-ish is easy enough to get in cash from Top Cashback for applying for (and being accepted for) much better credit card offers. If anyone can confirm there’s no “ding” on your credit file, I might go for it, otherwise, I would rather use that “ding” toward something worthwhile.

The comment above about how Amex are happy for people for churn – my guess is that websites like this and churners themselves bring enough “normal” business their way for it to not be a huge problem. The credit card market is fiercely competitive so I think it probably does make sense for them.

12. I managed to call up and get this on my gold card but they said they had never heard of such a card on platinum, is this correct? Thanks

13. ok so saw the links, it is for the basic Platinum card not the premium one and no other cards, is that correct? Thanks. Sorry made the assumption it was on the premium.

14. Attempted to apply for the Gold credit card but kept giving the unavailable warning so went for the Platinum and went straight through. Not sure what that was all about. Will spend the 500 pounds on our return to the UK and cancel for 3k easy MR points.

• … and none too concerned about the occasional ding on my credit report as it’s in tiptop condition so will happily go about my usual business without interruption.

15. Andy S says:

I was seeing the banner until recently – just thought I would sign up and it’s gone. It did end on the 31st and not the 30th didn’t it ?

16. Optimus Prime says:

I applied on 27th May for the Platinum one and haven’t received yet. Has anyone?

On the other hand I did apply for SPG Amex a couple of weeks ago and for the first time they asked me to send proof of address and passport copy.

17. Peter W says:

Just wondering if anyone else’s 3000 points haven’t appeared in their account. It looks like the 550 or so points I have earned were added manually as they don’t show up next to each purchase like they do on my charge card. Will contact customer services if no one else has had this.

18. Name Change says:

Same as Peter W – points for spending have (just) posted but not the 3000.

Will give it a day or two and then enquire.

• Phatbear says:

When did you get your card?

The t&c’s clearly state that:

“Please note that it can take up to one month for bonus points to be awarded to your Account”

19. Peter W says:

It’s less than a month so will hold on. My previous sign up bonuses were there within hours so got twitchy.