Bits: Virgin / Tesco bonus, 3000 Virgin miles from Avis, 5000 Miles & More miles with a hotel

News in brief:

Tesco Clubcard to Virgin Flying Club bonus now running

It turns out that Virgin Flying Club is running a low-key conversion bonus for anyone with Tesco Clubcard vouchers this month.

It isn’t very exciting:

you only get the bonus if you have never converted Clubcard vouchers to Virgin Atlantic before

the bonus is only 10% anyway

You would be getting 2.75 Virgin Flying Club miles for every 1p of Clubcard vouchers converted.

The bonus is not mentioned on the Virgin Tesco page or the Tesco Virgin page!  It is, however, mentioned on the Virgin Flying Club ‘special offers’ page here.  The offer runs until 23rd June.

Virgin Tesco

3,000 Virgin Flying Club miles from Avis

Virgin Flying Club is also running a ‘triple miles’ promotion with Avis at the moment.

The best Virgin car rental offer is usually Hertz (1,000 Flying Club miles per rental) but this one is better if you can make the restrictions work.

You will earn 1,500 Virgin miles for a 3-6 day Avis rental and 3,000 miles for a 7+ day rental.

You must book by 30th June for rentals between 1st July and 31st December.  Only rentals in Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia qualify.

Full details are on this Avis site.  It isn’t clear if you need to book via that specific page or not.

miles-and-more-4000-extra-miles

5,000 Lufthansa miles with a hotel booking

Finally, Lufthansa Miles & More is running another very generous deal to push the new Miles & More Hotels booking website.

If you book a hotel for €100+ before 30th June – for a stay at any date – you will receive at least 5,000 Miles & More miles.   Miles & More miles are a little tricky to earn in the UK, and the opportunity to earn at least £50-worth of miles on a £80 hotel stay is exceptionally attractive.

You only get the bonus once during June but you can get it again if you booked via a similar offer earlier in the year.

You must book via this webpage to see the bonus offer.  These will be treated as third party bookings so you won’t earn any hotel points on top if you pick a branded hotel.

New - up to 24% return with QUADRUPLE Accor points at Sofitel, Novotel, Mercure etc!
My review of the new Hampton by Hilton Berlin Alexanderplatz

Comments

1. Cuchlainn says:

OT ( sorry ! ),
    I have just triggered my 2nd BAPP 2-4-1 voucher and my wife is 3 1/2 months between BAPP churns and 1 x 2-4-1 voucher. I have never taken a Rewards / Points Amex, as I generally collect air miles / Avios only. Living across Irish Sea so Aer Lingus offers me good redemption opportunities for miles redemptions ( plus decent taxes ex Dublin ) but knobbled due to poor domestic connections ( BA BHD to LHR )
    Queries : 1. Reading horror stories for Lloyds Amex / MC re miles not posting but FOREX and 6months double miles benefits interest me…
    2. Preferred Rewards Gold looks best bet but can this be churned like BAPP ?
    Any other ideas gratefully received.. Thanks

• Genghis says:

1. I’ve had no problems. 2. Yes that’s fine.
      SPG?

• Cuchlainn says:

Thanks Genghis but SPG’s hotel chains do not fill me with joy…
        Last questions :
        1. If I downgrade to BA Blue Amex will I get my pro-rata annual fee refund ?
        2. Using my current BAPP Amex account can I refer my wife for the Preferred Rewards Gold ?
        ( I see this as a 3 month stop gap until her 6 months churn with BAPP has expired ).

• Alex W says:

1. Yes.
          2. No.

SPG points are valuable outside SPG – transfer to airlines at 1:1.25 and to Marriott at 1:3.

I’ve just got an SPG Amex and have no intention of staying in SPG 🙂

• rickey says:

Managed to accumulate 90K SPG for Marriott Travel Package without setting a foot in any SPG hotel.
          Hope the merger takes as long as expected (now late/end of 2018), giving me opportunity for 3 more churning cycles.

• Genghis says:

You can only refer within Amex card “families” so MR card->MR card (e.g. Amex Gold / Plat) or avios card->avios card (BAPP / BA Blue) etc

As @Alex W notes, SPG points are very valuable currently due to 1:3 Marriott conversion. Ive booked some bargains recently. I’ve never used SPG points in a SPG hotel though still want to try the Aloft in Liverpool. SPG points can be converted to avios at 1:1 or at 20k there is a 5k bonus. But can also be converted to FF schemes where points are harder to come by in the UK. A few of us here seem to currently be saving for a Marriott travel package which offer great value (7 night in hotel + a shed loads of air miles).

Hope this helps.

• Cuchlainn says:

Cheers Alex W, rickety and Genghis.

2. Choons says:

Hi, just another datapoint here but my wife did not earn the last bonus as, according to the Virgin email, despite transferring in March when the Tesco to Virgin bonus was on, the transfer period advertised was from 01 May to 23 June:

“We have investigated the below issue and can confirm that the addition 10% bonus was not earned because the offer period was 01MAY to 23JUN2017 and you have completed the first transfer in March 2017. The offer was published in the March ready for 1st May launch.”

So I guess it pays to keep an eye on the dates

• Nonsense. Go to the VS page for Clubcard. Click on ‘terms’. It still, as of Sunday, stated the dates for the last bonus in March. (Cannot check myself as on a flight.)