Bits: World Cup Avios seats available, 400 Avios with Spain’s Uber-clone, 25% off Priority Pass

News in brief:

World Cup 2018 Avios seats available

The 2018 World Cup kicks off in Russia on 14th June next year which means – as it is now less than 355 days away – Avios reward seats are available.

Although, if you’re planning to fly out to watch England in the final on 15th July, you still have to wait three weeks to book …..!

British Airways flies to both Moscow and St Petersburg and availability for Avios looks OK.  Oddly, some flights with no cash seats – presumably due to block bookings – are available for points.

You should also remember that S7 Airlines (legally PJSC Siberia Airlines, headquartered in Ob, Novosibirsk Oblast!) is a oneworld alliance member.  This should make it possible to use points to fly domestically inside Russia.

And, on the – admittedly unlikely – chance that England does not make the final, you’ll be able to cancel your Avios redemption and get your points back ……

World Cup 2018

Iberia Plus launched partnership with Cabify

Cabify is an Uber-style ride hailing app which operates in Spain and could be handy for your holiday travel this summer.   It currently operates in Madrid, Barcelona, Valencia, Bilabao, Vitoria, La Coruna, Malaga, Seville and Tenerife.  The app can be downloaded from the Apple and Google stores.

Cabify is now offering Avios points, in either Iberia Plus or British Airways Executive Club.

Full details can be found on the Cabify website here.  A Q&A, in English, is here.

You will earn 400 Avios for your first trip and 1 Avios per km after that.  The ‘first ride’ bonus will be applied if you take a ‘Lite’ or ‘Executive’ vehicle and do not use any other sign-up code during registration.   Thanks to Michael for this.

Priority Pass

25% off Priority Pass

Finally, airport lounge access card Priority Pass is offering a 25% discount until 14th July.

Details can be found on their website here.

If you travel with other people, you may find that it is a better deal to get an American Express Platinum charge card – and you’d get 30,000 Amex points (converts to 30,000 Avios) for free as well.  This comes with two Priority Pass cards and each lets two people into a lounge for free – so a family of four is covered.  Oddly, Priority Pass itself does not sell a version of the card which allows a free guest.

Save 25,000 miles - Virgin launches Upper Class reward sale from Manchester
Holiday Tips 2 - how to earn Avios and get the best deals on Heathrow Airport car parking

Comments

1. barry cutters says:

I left a comment yesterday but Im not sure if it was clear. Basically I was asking if the Ba PP card can be re-applied for within 6 months. I don’t expect to get the bonus points but is there anything stopping me cancelling today and re-applying in 3 months time? -Iv just ha my 241 posted when I really didn’t want it to,

2. OT
    1. On Lloyds Avios Duo (£24 fee), can one get an add-on card for free for spouse?
    2. Can this then be set in Curve with currency of local ATM (non £) for cash withdrawal and be still treated as foreign spend by Lloyds (and not cash advance)?

• JamesB says:

You will find the answer re: curve in comments to bits post yesterday.

• Yes you can get a supplementary card and it has a different number (unlike MBNA) so is useful for cashback, ShopSmall etc.

• The_Real_A says:

Just be aware that Curve will only bill in “certain” main currencies despite being able to select others in the app. I got stung by this recently…

AUD – Australian Dollars
      SEK – Swedish Krona
      SGD – Singapore Dollars
      USD – US Dollars
      ZAR – South African Rand

• the_real_a says:

And there is a £2 charge for each non-uk ATM withdrawal

• That’s not what I’ve seen reported by others who are using it – they only noticed it if the card currency was different to ATM currency…

• More info – it seems to depend not on location but on currency.

Example : cash withdrawal in £ in the UK with a card set up as € card -> £2 fee
            CASH withdrawal in $ in the US with a card set up as $ card : no fee from curve
            Cash withdrawal in £ in the US with a card set up as £ : no fee from Curve

Therefore ‘non-domestic’ as in their FAQ seems to really refer to a mismatch between currencies for the ATM and underlying card…

• the_real_a says:

Alan – sorry you are saying only a £2 fee if there is a currency exchange at the point of the ATM withdrawal. That would be interesting.

• Yep – not based on personal experience though (I used a mix of Monzo and Revolut last time I needed ATM cash out abroad in Jan – thankfully had a big chunk of USD sitting at home from 1.6 exchange rate!), however from someone that has made quite a few withdrawals. No guarantee it’ll stay that way, but sounds promising…

• the_real_a says:

Thanks Alan. Useful info (agree Monzo is fantastic for FX and foreign ATM for now)

• Yep, plus they don’t charge for a card like Revolut now do – I’ve set my folks up with a Monzo card for when taking cash out abroad – nice and easy to use app, they can top-up with their debit card and take any remaining cash out when back in the UK.

• Good to see Revolut announcing a £7m loss last week, on revenue of £2m, with no obvious route to profitability …..

• the_real_a says:

I guess there are multiple exit possibilities… If you were Amazon Bank which Fintect platform would you buy?

• Wirecard seems to be the best bet given they all seem to use them as the middle man 😉

• I wonder if they’ve updated the app? When I looked at it last night (before posting) it only lets you pick one of those currencies -the others just say ‘not available in Curve’…

• the_real_a says:

Yes looks a change in today’s release. A positive move for clarity i think!

• Ah, cool – I’ve had the beta for a couple of weeks so they must have changed it in that. Totally agree, much much clearer now! :)

3. I think you’ve missed an “s” of “final” in your article. I’d say it’s highly likely that England don’t make the final although miracles do happen…..

• JamesB says:

I just knew this was coming :) Does second comment equate with the usual 30 second theory? If it takes a miracle to reach the final then I’m curious what it will take to win it.

• it will be a miracle if we get past the group stages

• the realharry1 says:

why’s that? England should win its qualifying group (ie the games that are being played currently) which means it gets an easier run in the group stage out in Russia

that will be 32 teams —> 16 against generally weaker opposition so I can’t see it being anything like a miracle to get through to the knockout stage – indeed, precisely the opposite, it would be quite a surprise if they don’t get into the last 16

• the realharry1 says:

have a look at the ranking table http://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/ranking-table/men/index.html

13= looks about right – Wales & Switzerland (higher in the table) look to be where they are by a bit of luck/ good one-off performances

whereas you’d think Mexico & Uruguay can usually give England a decent game

anyway, 13th is about right, so having a seeded no.1 position in their group out in Russia (with generally weaker opposition) should usually mean England will finish in the top half & go through to knockout

• JamesB says:

The seeding will need to be extremely creative to include England in the top eight though given their current ranking and more recent championship performances. If any teams outside the top eight are to be elevated to top seeds they are most likely to be Spain and Italy. I think Englands chances of progressing beyond the group stage will be reliant on those two teans staying in the second seed pot with them. As always though the major difficulties will be presented not by the top seeds but those who are perceived to be weaker opponents.

• RussellH says:

‘We’??

Do yo mean England, or one of the other nations in the British Isles, or even the world? I may currently live in England, but I do NOT want to see an England team in the Russian bit of the contest. Monaco, Liechtenstein, Andorra and San Marino maybe.

Please, please, please: pray that none of the British nations at least qualifies – it might means less trash in the papers, on the wireless and in newspapers.

4. Lesley says:

Sounds appealing were it not for the likelihood of major trouble from Russian ultras.

…or the politsiya!

• Is this some Russian frequent flyer group who nick all the seats early on?!

The Guardian has a piece on Wimbledon centre court ultras today, and they don’t sound too appealing …..

‘Things that do not really exist elsewhere these days exist here as staples, essentials. Panama hats. Blazers. Endless crinkly, sun-bronzed men with elegantly bouffant hair and crested ties: where are they the rest of the year?’

• Probably in their retirement villas in Cyprus or the South of France :-)

• I saw a lot of them at Murcia airport a few weeks ago, presumably after a spell at La Manga

5. Was on the costa del sol a few weeks back and Google maps suggested Cabify. Went through the whole process of signing up only be told “there’s no cars in your area”.

Maybe it’s more useful in the actual cities listed rather than nearby, but was slightly annoying

6. Is it free to cancel an Avios redemption? Looking at BA’s website, it seems to cost £50?

7. Doubleornothing says:

I know it should be obvious but the article doesn’t mention what sport is being played! Not picking on Raffles as most sites do the same but find it strange if it was rugby it would be called the ‘Rugby World Cup’ on most sites but if football it is simply called the ‘World Cup!

As an aside just received a reply from my EU261 BA claim from the IT failure on 27th May. Been given double the amount I am entitled to!

• Graeme says:

That is what it is known as though. Being the most popular sport, it doesn’t need to differentiate.

• Mzungu says:

Like when they refer on the news to “The England Captain” without mentioning captain of what! I didn’t realise that the country had an overall captain! Not all of us like football, and assume every reference to sport must mean football :-)

• Haha have they had an IT failure in your favour when calculating the refund? 😉

• Doubleornothing says:

It’s really bizarre. Total delay was 10mins compared to scheduled arrival but as BA booked us on an earlier flight with another airline that departed 2 hours earlier we were entitled to 125 euro. Have actually received 250 euro each. Thing is whilst I didn’t mention any amount on the claim I did state the flights we were rebooked on so there could be no doubt. MMB even shows the rebooked flights as well.

Strange thing is I submitted two claims, one for my wife and one for me. My wife is the one who got a reply (I still am waiting for one) and a cheque issued to her for the both of us, yet I was the lead person who made the booking and original payment.

• Because Rugby (Union) is a weird niche game almost unknown outside public schools in the south east?!

PS. I met my wife at a rugby game, for clarity ….

• Lol pretty big in Scotland too. With F1 yesterday and football today I’m really hoping that’s the HfP sports quota fulfilled for a while! 😉 (COI – not a sports fan!)

• Concerto says:

I thought you met her on a Ryanair flight?

• Technically I met her in the check-in queue for the plane that Norton Rose (as was) had chartered to take us from Luton to Dublin for the European Cup Final. Or European Rugby Cup Final :-)

• Doubleornothing says:

Only two of the 12 Premiership teams are based in the SE compared to 8 out of 20 in football!

Not a massive rugby fan as it happens, just used that as an example that lots of sports use the term World Cup!

• JamesB says:

And I’m sure she was in a league of her own and it was love at first kick :)

• Genghis says:

After Rob “tried” it on? :)

• JamesB says:

That’s exactly what I meant, he tried it on, she got in the first kick and the rest is history as the saying goes.

• Genghis says:

With Rob propped up at the bar, he took advantage and converted the opportunity? I’ll get my coat.

• JamesB says:

…the game progressed beyond regulation time withe some exciting rucks, mauls and scrummages, a couple of kids arrived to spectate, Rob spent increasing perios in tbe sin bin and eventually retired from playing ball to write HFP.

• Genghis says:

Not to mention the amount of number 2s on mattress runs?

• You forgot to mention HFP Credit Card with a million mile HFP Reward Points signup bonus which can be converted to any loyalty program of your choice with Gold/platinum status for all airlines and hotels!!!

Sorry Rob had to post this!

• Curve offered me a branded version but I felt the potential for conflicts of interest outweighed the PR boost!

• Rugby huge in the SW and in S Wales.

Lots of state rugby schools in the SE as well, usually grammar or ex grammar

8. PP news – Brisbane has now joined Sydney and Gatwick as being locations where you can receive credit to use in restaurants – A$36pp in Oz. Excellent development.

9. Morgan says:

Thank you for the heads-up to the avios availability to DME. Have managed to snag a couple of tickets to make a long weekend at the start of the Tournament in mid June to watch (hopefully, if I get tickets) a couple of matches.

10. Pangolin says:

I agree that England are in with a shout of reaching the WC Final.

We’re talking about the Women’s team obviously.

11. Lesley says:

Not relevant to this thread but I’m putting it here because there is nowhere else – Booked 2 flight in the Swissair sale on 3rd July to Bangkok – managed to book it when we should have been going to a 60th birthday party and then was able to cancel it because I rang up within 24 hours of booking. Went on to rebook it this morning (having not realised the sale ended on 3rd July) – the linked to the reduced tickets showed the offer had ended so I feared the worst – however booking normally and I ended up with two tickets at £1231 each rather than the £1511 in the sale – same time of flight just two days later all round – so still some bargains to be had by the look of it just not actually flagged as sale prices..

• JamesB says:

Why do you want to book LX when you can book AY or KL exUK for similar prices to LX exEU on sale?

• Swiss sale was ex-LHR

• Yup. And very good pricing too, given SWISS quality – albeit you’re getting Star Alliance miles.

• JamesB says:

Ah ok, my memory failed me. Good option then, comparable with AY and KL fares but giving option of *A miles as opposed to OW and ST as Rob points out.

• JamesB – are you the same person that used to post as James67? Just curious as I haven’t seen James67 post in a long time.

• JamesB says:

@Liz, yes but I woke up to a somewhat embarassing day during which I discovered that somebody else going by ‘james67’ is apparently very active on websites much less innocent than HFP so I needed a hasty makeover!

• Sounds ominous! I thought JamesB was you!

12. OT: Do Hilton stays booked through BA count towards the BA bonus nights? I perhaps foolishly assumed so, so booked 2 nights on my BAPP (for even more Avios) but the nights don’t show us qualifying on my Honors account.

• Normally BA hotel bookings aren’t counted as eligible stays – so no points or nights credit.

• That’s really stupid of me. I’ve gained 500 Avios from Amex but lost out on 4000 for the two nights. Not actually bothered about the qualifying nights themselves. :(

• Ahh, damn :( Yes, in general I think BA holidays seems to book package tour rates, thus treating like Expedia/OTA type bookings. Amex Travel is more variable – definitely some reports of them being eligible, but not always. If pay at checkout with them should be fine though.

13. Bits OT – Curve ‘Back in Time’ has now been officially announced – http://blog.imaginecurve.com/go-back-in-time-with-curve/. I’ve tried it a couple of times in beta and it has worked flawlessly :)

• Genghis says:

Interesting. I don’t really see when I might use it but interesting concept.

• I used to to trigger a spend on IHG White by moving an old £1.50 transaction across 😉 In general though I think especially handy if you either forget to switch payment card on Curve, or if you’re in an area with poor phone reception so can’t switch it.

• Nate1309 says:

If only the back in time was to last year when AMEX could be linked :'(

14. Rob,

Is there a way to upgrade curve blue to black?
    There was a promo for curve black for free over the weekend. Not sure if it still works, but interested to upgrade my blue to black.

• Genghis says:

I contacted them. Promised to put through loads of spend and they gave it to me for nowt.

• Don’t know. Ironically we were in a meeting with 3 Curve bods when you posted that!

• Has been doable via the beta that I’m in but a manual process for them. They are apparently looking into an easier upgrade pathway. Hope you had a good meeting, they seem a decent team!

15. the realharry1 says:
  16. Totally OT:
    Heathrow Rewards: I’m short 23 points for a redemption and won’t be in Heathrow anytime soon. Any advice for a quick way to top up?

17. JamesB says:

OT: Anybody here have any knowledge or experience of the club1 hotels booking company?

• We looked at it when it launched and it was a complete shambles. We were offered a substantial four-figure sum to promote them and turned it down. I was approached last week again about doing something with them, on the grounds that they are now less of a shambles, so I need to take another look. They are not actively ripping people off AFAIK, it is just a scrappy looking site and business model.

• JamesB says:

Thanks, I had never heard of them and then ran into them twice today via Etihand and Ethiopian. The latter selling membership in conjunction with 10k or 20k sheba miles and a rebate voucher.

• Signed up last year when they were offering a year’s free membership. Haven’t actually dared book anything through it partially because the prices seem a little too good to be true and also because I have seen very little coverage of it since all the fanfare regarding free membership last year.

• That fanfare was based on fat payments per sign up by the people involved, not any objective view of the business.

• Right, as was clearly evident from the sheer amount of coverage and number of promotional posts from the majority of US bloggers at the time.

• JamesB says:

That was my impression when I discovered it today too. Sometimes it’s possible to run into problems at independent hotels even with the more well established names so I would be very hesitant using this. That said, if they are now tied up with major airlines they are likely generating at least some business.

• Ironically I got a sign-up offer for Club1 via the internal WeWork network last month. They certainly have some serious money to burn on building a customer list, it is a shame they didn’t put more of it into building a decent website.

• JamesB says:

If you have the time you should maybe give them a hearing. They might have good intentions but lack the know how. They are not the first nor will they be the last to have a trashy website, BA and virgin to name but two. All they need is a simple but beautiful app like Hilton. However, the more fundamental question is whether the business model is sound.

18. Optimus Prime says:

OT – if I book an Economy flight with AA for 2 passengers and later on I want to upgrade to Business with points, can all the points come from just one passenger or does each passenger have to provide their own points?

19. MARCELO C CORREA says:

The code MD9ANOS gives 30% discount to priority pass. Website of the promotion: prioritypass.com/melhores-destinos