Bits: BA JFK works postponed, London’s biggest new hotel opens, £20 off Airportr

News in brief:

JFK Terminal 7 building work postponed, luckily

A few weeks we wrote about proposed building work at New York JFK Terminal 7 – the home of British Airways – which would have added a full hour to the time taken to clear security.

Luckily for those of you travelling from New York this Summer, the building work has now been postponed.

It hasn’t gone away, however, with British Airways now saying that it will start “later in 2017”.

You can read more about the transformation at JFK Terminal 7 on this BA website.

British Airways JFK improvements

Biggest new hotel opening in London this year

Where would you choose to build the biggest new hotel opening in London in 2017?  Why, Lambeth North of course!

On 22nd June Park Plaza Hotels & Resorts opened the doors of the new Park Plaza Waterloo with an impressive 494 rooms.  Despite the ‘Waterloo’ name, the hotel is actually opposite Lambeth North tube station.

Here is an official press photo of one of the rooms:

park plaza waterloo

Room rates in July seem to be around £150 for Club Carlson members and £190 for non members.  Club Carlson redemption nights are 50,000 points per night, so points are an acceptable deal if you are looking at £175+ for cash.

If you have an American Express Platinum card, you will have Gold status in Club Carlson which will get you bonus points and additional status benefits.

The Park Plaza website is here if you want to find out more.

airportr-office-check-in-british-airways-3

£20 off Airportr if you refer a friend

Airportr, London’s airport luggage transport service, has launched a generous refer a friend scheme

If you’ve used Airportr before and tell a friend about it, you can get 25% off your next trip and your friend will get £20 off their first booking.

All you need to do is visit the refer a friend website here or log into your account and access the ‘rewards’ tab.

(As some of our readers will have used Airportr in the past we’re happy for you to share your referral codes in the comment section below.)

Here is my review from back in January when I tried Airportr.

Bits: interesting Iberia / Avis deal, 1950's BA amenity kits
Important dates for your diary - offers about to close which you shouldn't miss

Comments

1. OT, sorry. Rob please can you send me a refer a friend link for an Amex gold card ? The link on the HFP Gold card advert does not appear to work.

Many thanks

2. OT_MBNA Virgin Card

How long does it take for Virgin Miles to be credited to flying club account after statement is generated. My statement was generated 3 days ago but no sign of miles yet in my FC account.

• Genghis says:

Usually same day IIRC. Is this a new account?

• Not new FC account but new MBNA account with a card churned within a couple of weeks of last one. Statement generated shows 10K bonus points but not showing in Virgin FC account yet.

Hopefully should credit early next week.

• Genghis says:

I had to wait about 2 months for my points on the last white churn. It was the time virgin member numbers were swapped over and required some very slow investigation. Hopefully this doesn’t happen to you!

• JamesB says:

Roger’s lucky in two respects, often MBNA bonuses don’t credit until the second statement after hitting the target, and he actually got a card. I’m still waiting for my white card three weeks on despite two calls and it is now too late to use it for the anticipated spending. In effect MBNA have deprived me of a bonus with another new card as I will have to use an existing card for anticipated spend and generate the virgin bonus using spend I could have made on a new DOG which is next on my list. Not too happy.

• Mr Dee says:

Hey Genghis, did you manage to test out your Tesco Uber credit today outside the UK?

• Genghis says:

Departing UK soon. Will let you know this evening. I’ve not forgotten.

• Genghis says:

I’ll report back here

• Mr Dee says:

Great, have a good journey

• Genghis says:

Tesco uber credit did not work abroad.

• Mr Dee says:

Thanks anyway

• Johnny Tabasco says:

Ranges from 1 to 4 days for me. Never really known why is differs so much, but as long as they post that’s all I care about!

3. flyoff says:

Hi, If anyone needs a referral code for Airportr for the £20 discount please help yourself:- https://goo.gl/yGEhd5

• Kirill says:

Thanks for the link.

The t&cs state 25% off for the referrer.

Referrer Rewards
      The referrer is offered 25% off for each friend who orders for the first time.

4. flyforfun says:

Lambeth North? I can’t wait to see the Tripadvisor reviews:

“Thought I booked central London but was stuck in the ‘burbs”
    “Stuck on a busy road network – traffic noise never stopped. Could hear it despite triple glazing”
    “Had to walk to get into town or take remote tube”

• Kathy H says:

Looks like Doubleornothing is correct about Hercules House – there are already over 800 reviews on TA and one mentions opening in Dec 2016.

5. Doubleornothing says:

Is this the same site as Hercules House? If so is it a rebuild or just change of use from office space? I remember working there about 10 years ago and it was pretty grim inside but in a weirdly affectionate way! In fairness the location is far better than it sounds.

6. Biggest new hotel? Must mean in floor area, I guess, because I remember you saying that the new Premier Inn at Heathrow T4 had over 600 rooms.

7. I stayed at the Park Plaza ”Waterloo” last December as a new opening then. I only knew about it due to a headforpoints article back then. So a little confusing as to why its now having another new opening in June. Free promo?

8. OT – If i book economy plus and its says “change flight up to 1 hour before flight on day of travel’ does that mean I could, on the day, change the flight to the next day? As my flight is the last to depart on that day.

9. James67 says:

OT, BA have cancelled my flight, I don’t want to travel anymore as only flight they’ve offered me is in 2 days time. However, EU261 compensation is worth more than my flight tickets, can I get a refund and the compensation or just one or the other?

• the real harry1 says:

depends on the grounds for cancellation

if it’s the strike, you’re out of luck – you’re only entitled to a refund

if there are no extraordinary circs, you get a refund and the compo on top

• James67 says:

they wouldn’t tell me on the phone, but it’s a City flight so presumably can’t be the strike.

10. the real harry1 says:
  11. Andrew says:

494 rooms… That’s fewer than half the dear old Regent Palace Hotel had!

It only feels like yesterday, back in the early 90s when I was 18/19, sitting waiting for Teletext to flick round to Forte on the UK breaks pages and writing down the offer number before dialling 0800 40 40 40 to book a weekend in the Regent Palace Hotel. Then phoning Waverley Station’s telesales desk to book a train to London.

Whilst it was a bit tired and you had to book a shower or bath, nothing could beat the location. Sadly long gone.

• Andrew says:

Oops, I would have been paging “The ORACLE” on teletext in the early 1990s, Teletext didn’t come along until 1993.

• Indeed – although the Zedel restaurant retains the old Atlantic Bar & Grill space, not that it was really officially part of the hotel, and much of the facade remains.

It seems that plans to convert the Trocadero next door into a 600 room pod hotel have been abandoned too.

12. Alan C says:

Any discount codes for any of the other bag transportation services out of the regions?
    O’Leary air want £45 each way NCL to MAD.

13. Did not think the Park Plaza Waterloo was that big! Certainly not bigger than the Westminster Bridge or the Hilton Metropole anyway.

Like other members I have stayed there as well. Think they had a soft opening while this one is their ‘official’ opening.

I liked it. Nice comfy rooms and automatic blinds you control from by your bed.Would stay there again

14. Some disparaging comments about the location new of the Park Plaza – it’s not like Lambeth North is the burbs! I live near there, go past it every day. The hotel is probably 400m or so from the side entrance to Waterloo station. It really is very close. And about 10 minutes walk (max) from Big Ben and the Palace of Westminster – it’s hardly a tourism desert.

What is odd is that there are in fact 3 Park Plaza hotels within about 200m of each other, clustered around Westminster Bridge Road.

15. Going to NYC with my gf for new year, hope the works are done by then :S

16. Any AirPotr referral codes available? I am going to try the service in November.