BOOKABLE THIS AFTERNOON: New IHG PointBreaks list of 100 x 5,000 point hotels

I ran the list of new IHG Rewards Club (the Holiday Inn, HI Express, Crowne Plaza, InterContinental etc group) PointBreaks redemptions on Saturday.  I am running it again today for those people who don’t check the site over the weekend, and as a reminder to everyone else that they are bookable from this afternoon.

PointBreaks rooms are a fantastic deal if they fit with your travel patterns.

All of the hotels below will be available for just 5,000 IHG Rewards Club points per night, saving up to 25,000 points per night in some cases.

PointBreaks availability is very limited so book ASAP if you are interested. Bookings are refundable as with a standard reward reservation so there is nothing to lose.  IHG works on US time – they are meant to go live about 5pm UK time but are often there an hour or so earlier.  It could be 2pm based on recent lists.

You can book via the IHG PointBreaks page here or via the standard booking page hereIf the PointBreaks page has not yet been updated, it does not necessarily mean that the special deals below will not already be bookable – do a search on the hotel you want to check.

You will be able to book these hotels for dates up to 31st October.

Crowne Plaza Vilnius

You allowed a maximum of two bookings per individual hotel. Each booking can be for as many nights as you want.

Remember that if you attempt to amend your booking later by dropping a night or two the whole booking will reprice at the full rate.

Unfortunately, this is a very America-centric list.  Pickings are thin elsewhere.

As usual, it is an eclectic list.  The Holiday Inn Express in Croydon is well placed for Central London (10 minutes walk to East Croydon station and a very short train ride) or indeed Gatwick Airport which is on the same rail line.  We all have our individual travel schedules for the next three months and – if any of these hotels prove suitable for your itinerary – you’ve got a great deal.

The list:  (remember that you cannot book until early afternoon):

UNITED KINGDOM

CANDLEWOOD SUITES JEFFERSON CITY

NEBRASKA:
CANDLEWOOD SUITES OMAHA – MILLARD AREA
HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS & SUITES CHERRY HILLS

NEW HAMPSHIRE:
HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS KEENE
HOLIDAY INN SALEM (I-93 AT EXIT 2)

NEW MEXICO:

COLOMBIA:
HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS YOPAL

ECUADOR:
HOLIDAY INN GUAYAQUIL AIRPORT

PARAGUAY:
CROWNE PLAZA ASUNCION

Bits: changes to HFP August posting, three offers closing today, United launches Denver
Why you shouldn’t waste Avios on Club Europe redemptions from London City

Comments

1. I really struggle to find anything useful *for me* in Pointbreaks for a long time. Might head up to ABZ just for the chance to use them. Hire a car when up there.

Does anyone know when the new BA lounge in ABZ is supposed to open?

2. Off topic, but the old Virgin Trains East Coast booking engine is supposed to be retired today and replaced with the one that’s currently in beta.

I have a promo code for 30% off Virgin Trains East Coast fares details are here: http://saveecrewards.co.uk/promo

This will only work for as long as the old booking engine remains up. This might be a few hours or it might be weeks if they decide the beta site is not ready.

There is a limit to the amount of people who can use the promo code but I have no idea what it is.

• Ta, have another trip to book for early Sep. Currently sitting on a VTEC. (Why doesn’t VT wi-fi like Dropbox, by the way? Despite free wi-fi I need to tether my phone as Dropbox won’t work off it. Had the same issue on WC last week.)

Booked current trip using the 20% Virgin Red app. I had foolishly linked by Virgin Red account to my Virgin Trains account, which immediately stopped me getting the discount codes! Had to delete the app and reinstall with a new account, and suddenly the 20% discount came back.

• The hint for Virgin Red is if you have two phones then have one linked to all your Virgin accounts and another one where it’s not linked.

The theory is the 20% offer is for new customers, you then take the offer, create an account with VTWC/EC and then link them up to Virgin Red and then the offer disappears.

The 20% offer has been running pretty much from the beginning but only if you’re not linked.

They do sometimes offer better offers if you’re linked, I’ve seen 30% and 40% before so that’s why it’s good to have both. Also VTWC gives you WiFi via Red if you’re linked, sometimes they’ve thrown up other offers as well for linked people such as a free hot drink in the Foodbar (only useful if standard), or a snack.

• Andy S says:

Drop box counts as file sharing, I guess they’re worried it will suck up their limited bandwidth

• I think dropbox was a conscious block as they don’t want you downloading large files (streaming is also banned, although not all providers are). My workaround is connecting to the office VPN, but then that can be a bit flaky if the connection is slow.

Most of these restrictions were put in before the 4G rollout so I think they should be revisited now.

• It’s because Dropbox has the potential to suck up huge amounts of bandwidth (similar to video streaming services), depending upon how long since you last synced and how much data is due to sync – they therefore block access to all these streaming services to try and maintain viable network speeds for all users.

• I’ve been told on Twitter that the launch of the new website is now going to be tomorrow. So you can still use the promo code to get 30% off Virgin Trains East Coast (when I booked the railcard discounts worked on top of this, but they’re not supposed to).

If anyone gets any promocodes for the new site that you don’t want I’ll distribute them to people who can use them, just DM me on Twitter or email: info (at) saveecrewards (dot) co (dot) uk

3. Will a pointsbreak booking count towards the accelerate promotion? Also, does anyone know if its possible to book a pointsbreak hotel via the app?

4. Scottydogg says:

Ive been collecting IHG points for about a year now and have found the Points Break options are always very poor

• When they first started (or at least when I first heard of them), there was some amazing offers.

ICs I’ve stayed in on point breaks have been Nairobi, Athens and Amman. There used to be plenty more ICs participating too, but I was either too slow or unable to make it on those dates. The IC redemptions always got snapped up quickly. I stayed in Amman for a month, I had a project I could work remotely and it actually worked well for me. I was Royal Ambassador status at the time and got upgrades and lounge access so it was a nice environment to work from.

There was numerous Crowne Plazas around Europe that I stayed in too, but for the past few years, there’s nothing that has inspired me.

I agree with Rob on the HIX Croydon being a great deal if you need to be in London. Although Croydon is not my first choice of place to be in London the transport connections are great.

5. Agree, but have got decent 2 redemptions lined up for the in-laws when they visit next month – 30000 points / room at the nearby, modern HI Reading M4 Junction 10 when the cash price is £171.00

Points beats cash here as I can’t really find any decent redemption options to use myself

6. Can you book Points break rooms for family i.e. not be there at all?

• I’ve done so before (quite a few years ago so policy may have changed). Not sure of the rules, but to be on the safe side I emailed the hotel and checked it was OK. Back then I was told that it was OK to book for others but the hotel wasn’t supposed to offer any status benefits.

As it was a Holiday Inn I’d booked it’s hard to tell whether they got any status benefits or whether I’d have got any if staying!

7. Brasov says:

Is there anything to do in Ipswich, or Zilina?

• Not particularly in Ipswich but you could use it as a base to explore some other bits of East Anglia. There are some nice little places around there e.g. Dedham

• the real harry1 says:

not really, couple of Indian & Chinese restaurants

not too far from Cambridge

8. Mark e says:

Slightly O/T – obtaining points by the ‘points and cash trick’

I’ve noticed some variation on how much you can ‘buy’ points depending on hotel used. Using the Intercontinentals on Park Lane and the Amsterdam Amstel the values are different.

Amstel
    5000 45 dollars
    1000 75 dollars
    15000 104 dollars
    20000 130 dollars

Park Lane
    5000 35 dollars
    1000 65 dollars
    1500 94 dollars
    2000 120 dollars

Doing a points and cash for 120 dollars then cancelling at Park Lane is the most effective way but a couple of questions spring to mind.

Is there a better value location to do this trick at? Was the Amstel rates the same as Park Lane once? Is there a trend here from IHG to put all of the points and cash rates up?

• HayMow says:

The P+C rates seem to be varying a lot hotel to hotel even in the same town. Your $120 for 20k equates to $30 for 5k which is the best I’ve seen earlier today, eg. for Crowne Plaza Annapolis & some others. So if you didn’t want/need to buy 20k you could get 5/10/15k at the same rate from that hotel

9. ZeroHedge says:

16:22 BST and still no sign of the new Point Breaks page…

10. ZeroHedge says:

Live now – just made a couple successfull bookings :)

11. Adam Creen says:

Yes! 2 nights at Aberdeen Airport but swapping the Holiday Inn for the Crowne Plaza. And a cheap night in Wakefield on the way home. Along with 3 nights at 15k/night at Holiday Inn East Kilbride in the Suite, and 3 nights on points in Dundee Doubletree, this is making our Scottish holiday a lot cheaper than planned! Only 3 nights for cash out of 12!

12. ZeroHedge says:

Yet another excellent tip – thanks Rob !

Bookings totalling £101.30 cancelled and replaced with Point Breaks. A real cash saving :)

13. I’m just getting error messages, frustrating!

14. Same here. I’m trying to book HIX Croydon but it keeps saying “We encountered a system problem while processing your request”.

15. ZeroHedge says:

I just logged on to the ihg site and booked direct – have you tried that ?

Kurt, you’re not missing much, believe me 😀

• I am booking on IHG.com but it seems there’s a problem with this one.

Well just need a bed to sleep for the flight at LGW next morning, surely HIX Croydon can satisfy my modest need right?

• ZeroHedge says:

Kurt, It’s fine for a night, just don’t go exploring: while Croydon is busy until late and the road down from East Croydon (along the tram lines) is fine, the little back streets around the hotel have a good supply of dodgy dudes !!

• Thanks ZeroHedge! My booking went through in the morning end so looks like I am going to venture into East Croydon after all.Will keep your advice in mind, stay away the back streets and lock the door in HIX!:)

16. HayMow says:

First Pointbreaks night went through OK and I got a confirmation email. Next 5 bookings I got the error message, and no emails received, but 5x 5k taken off my points total and showing on my Account Status & Activity page but nothing under Upcoming Reservations. One of thee was a duplicate booking in error due to thinking I needed to try again after the error message. Now the system won’t let me make any more real or phantom bookings! Dang.

• Same here, wait for 1 hr or two should be able to find under “manage reservations” and you can cancel duplicate bookings

• Thanks – indeed, all worked out fine once their systems calmed down from the initial overload hit, and was able to do the cancellation, plus book an additional night – never got the original confirmation emails but was able to resend them to myself on that manage reservations page. All good.

• Jason Cousins says:

Exactly the same happened to me with 5 failed attempts for a booking in Ipswich (near family), each taking the points with them. A rant on twitter and an hour later it was all sorted!

17. Michael Jennings says:

The Holiday in Express in Swansea Massachusetts would do very nicely for the Friday night I arrive at Providence RI Airport on Norwegian. (I have a night using my introductory offer voucher from the Hilton Barclaycard at the Ames Boston Curio Collection the following night – cash price on that one is about $450, so I think I used it well). Alas, though, my trip is early November and these deals are only to late October. Are they likely to offer some of the same hotels in the next one of these offers, or not?

• Just booked similar HIE at Swansea, MA for the Sun to Wed after you. Wasn’t able to book the Sat night that we arrive at PVD on Norwegian.
      Booked via the app. Pressed ‘SUBMIT’ 3 times but got the error message. Later found out that there were 3 bookings but easily cancelled 2 of them.

18. Alex W says:

Thanks Rob. Couple of nights in Croydon booked. Very handy for me as it’s only 15 mins by train into Victoria.

19. Just booked 7 nights in Oak Ridge TN! Going to fly MAN-ATL VS then drive to Oak Ridge. Made up! Dollywood

• I looked at the Oak Ridge, TN hotel to change out our Pigeon Forge booking for next month but it’s about 50 miles in the wrong direction for us so decided to leave it.

20. Richard says:

Found the hotel I wanted and reservation I wanted , attempted to book (17:03 BST) and got the error, then errors on everything overnight till now, couldn’t see any existing reservations or make new ones, nor could IHG customer services. Managed to move my generally positive (4k to Spire Elite) feelings towards IHG to BA type feelings (not positive). Well done IHG.