Bits: We won 3 BTJA awards!, BA drops three routes, 30000 Nectar points with their Amex card

News in brief:

We won three Business Travel Journalism Awards!

As you may have guessed from the picture we ran yesterday, or our social media feeds, we won three awards at the 2017 Business Travel Journalism Awards on Thursday night.

This saw us fighting it out with, depending on category, Business Traveller, the travel sections of the national press, the B2B business travel titles and in-flight magazines.

We won:

• Business Travel Editor of the Year (Rob)
  • Best Newcomer to Business Travel or Meetings and Events Journalism (Anika)
  • Best Digital Strategy

We didn’t get Scoop of the Year, but 3/4 was way beyond our expectations.  Anika had to beat five other shortlisted writers in her category.

Here is Anika picking up ‘Best Newcomer’.  The judges said:

“The judges felt that the winner’s article was ‘interesting, engaging, on point and humorous.‘The author’s style was ‘really enjoyable’ with one judge claiming, ‘this was the one feature I remembered long after I’d read it’.”

…. and ‘Best Digital Strategy’.  The judges said:

“Of the winner, the judges were impressed with this website describing it as ‘refreshing’, ‘something I hadn’t seen before’ and ‘a website that I would use as a travel booker and as a traveller’.”

…. and ‘Editor of the Year’.  The judges said:

“Our panel of judges debated for a very, very long time about who should win this award. After much toing and froing, the winner was described as ‘a trailblazer’, someone who has ‘broken new ground’ and someone whose ‘leadership and entrepreneurship makes him a natural winner’.”

Thanks to everyone who left a comment on here or social media, we appreciate it.

British Airways cancels three short haul routes

British Airways has announced that three ‘Summer only’ routes will not be returning in 2018.

The routes impacted are:

• Kos
  • Montpellier
  • Biarritz (photo above, the plans for Four Seasons to take over that hotel have recently collapsed)

If you are already booked to one of these cities for next summer, you should contact BA to discuss your options.

30,000 Nectar points with the Nectar American Express card

We normally leave Nectar points discussion to our sister site Shopper Points, but it is worth highlighting this limited time offer on their American Express card.

Until 1st November, the sign-up bonus is increased from 20,000 Nectar points to 30,000.  You need to apply via the Nectar website to get this deal.

30,000 Nectar points is worth at least £150 off your Sainsburys bill, and potentially £300 if you hold on to them until a ‘1p per point’ offer comes along (although they are getting rarer).

The card is FREE for the first year and you can get the bonus irrespective of what other Amex cards you currently hold.

Full details are in this article.

Bits: 4500 Avios for new BAEC members in Germany, decent Virgin / Enterprise promo
When did BA hike the taxes on long-haul US economy redemptions?

Comments

1. Many congrats Rob and Anika, fab websites and posts.

OT: I have paid my council tax using the council tax card in a few instalments as the Paypoint could only do it in £150 batches. Do the council contact re overpayment or will it just be there for future and be adjusted every month? Thank you.

• Lucky you ..your council using pay pint. Councils usually keep the credit in place unless you request a refund.by cheque etc at the end of the year. Our council absolutely refuse pp card..v annoying.

• Thanks Polly. Yes, am glad they accept it.

• the real harry1 says:

The PayPoint limit might be £150 but you can (say) do 3x £150 and just 1 card transaction for £450

might save you a couple of journeys…

• And essential for the 10% back in Co op Halifax offers to maximise the benefit as it’s one hit only

• the real harry1 says:

thanks for reminder Genghis – I think I’ve got that

£1000?

• the real harry1 says:

max reward £30 – I’ll take it! 🙂

= £300 CT

nice rebate lol

• Yeah it’s a decent little bunsen. I get it every few months.

• What’s this 10% back genius?

• Typo I meant Genghis

• Freudian slip?

• the real harry1 says:

he won’t exactly mind 🙂

(HUKD) here we go: £50 Mastercard for £45.86 instore @ Wilko
          In Wilko the banner is showing 15% off three different gift cards. One of them is this £50 Mastercard that can be used as a credit card.
          The full cost of the card is £53.95, but with 15% off total payable is £45.86, so overall an immediate 9% return on your investment of £45.86.

***

so use an Amex and you’re quids in, manufactured spend etc, hit bonus targets blah blah blah

• Thanks Harry, how long this been going for? Thought he mentioned something to do with Halifax?

• the real harry1 says:

yep Halifax current & card a/cs get this

• the real harry1 says:

tbh I am happy to get free £30s like this – will come in good use!

my son goes to an excellent state school – I believe in state education on principle plus there is the small matter that we probably couldn’t afford to pay for private without a lot of scrimping – they decided this year to migrate the GCSE textbooks online – I guess it cost them £2.50 as opposed to £20 for providing the real book

of course, they suggested parents pay the £20 for the textbook by buying it instead

eg Chemistry, Physics, Biology = £60, we’re paying for his state education books

naturally easier to look up stuff in a real book as opposed to online so I bought them all – he’s going to get top marks

must seem like chickenfeed to those of you with kids in independent schools 🙂

• Yes, as TRH1 notes, Halifax offers though the current account get offers (akin to Amex) and I get a Co Op one every few months

• Cheers TRH1. Now to find my nearest Wilko. They only seem to be in deprived areas in London…

• Never even heard of them! Not sure they exist up here.

• Very big in Yorkshire – I used to go to Wilkinson with my dad on a regular basis, that would have been about 1980.

• Alan, they are mainly Englandshire.based.

But there arr few in the Central Belt..

• Ah, thanks 🙂

2. I can still only see 20,000
    Nectar points on both the Amex and Nectar websites. Any ideas how I see the 30,000 offer? Thanks

3. I went through http://www.shopperpoints.co.uk/2017/10/04/get-30000-nectar-points-for-taking-out-the-first-year-free-amex-nectar-credit-card/ and there at the bottom of the page it says ” Remember you MUST sign up via the special promotional page ” and you click on the word “promotional” and it will come up

4. I signed up for the Amex Nectar card when they were offering 40,000 points last time. Would do it again but I’ve just started doing my new Gold Card and I don’t turnover enough spend to try and do 2 sign-up offers at the same time.

Poor timing.

5. There’s a small Wilkos in Fulham from recollection Genghis

6. Top work for the awards! Richly deserved. Stellar website.