Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

600 Avios, 500 Miles & More or 500 Virgin miles with new WorldPoints sign-up promotion

BAA WorldPoints has launched a new sign-up bonus.  It is not as good as the one they ran over the Summer (1,000 points for a £10 spend) but it is still more than acceptable.

BAA WorldPoints is the loyalty scheme for Heathrow, Glasgow, Aberdeen and Southampton airports duty free shops, although from 1st January you will only be able to collect at Heathrow.

You earn 1 point for every £1 spent and can redeem your points for Avios, Virgin Flying Club miles, Miles & More miles, Heathrow shopping vouchers and some other odd bits and pieces, usually at 1 point = 1 mile (for Avios it is 1 point = 1.2 Avios).

In conjunction with Lufthansa, new members who join via this link will earn 500 bonus points when they spend £25 in one day before 30th December.

You will see that the link talks of earning 500 bonus Miles & More miles.  In reality, though, you will receive 500 WorldPoints which are worth 500 Miles & More miles.  No-one will care if you choose to redeem them for Avios or Virgin miles, though!

Now, you may well have a WorldPoints account already.  However, take a minute to think.  Is there anyone in your household or in your Avios household account who is not a member?

If so, get a card in their name, use it yourself (this is not a problem) and send the miles over to their account.  This is more lucrative than simply adding an extra 25 points for £25 of spend to your own WorldPoints account.

Comments (9)

• Geoggy says:

So passing through Heathrow last week I spend a hundred quid in duty free and have never had a world points card. Woman on till asked if I wanted one so I said yes. She swiped it and gave me leaflet and card etc.

Have not yet had chance to register card – can I do it via this link and get bonus?

• Raffles says:

No, they will create a new card for you. You could open a new one in a different name, I suppose. Or simply register the one you have in another name, fx only gets 1 per £10 anyway.

• Trickster says:

The initial link says 100 points, not 1000 as per your article.

Also, do you think the 500 point lufty bonus would work on an Amex fx preorder as in you other post? Plus if I register my wife today, could I use this on Monday without a card? I presume u could just give the number, assuming I get this in the registration process.

Cheers!

• Trickster says:

Ignore first comment, I’ve just reread the post more closely!

• ups says:

Yes you can register now and let them input the number manually. Alternately you can retro-claim by sending WorldPoints your receipt scan.

• pianoamit says:

The link says you get 100 worldpoints for registering and filling in preferences. Do you then get another 500 worldpoints on your first >£25 purchase? That would make 720 avios by my reckoning…

• Raffles says:

Yes and no. You do get another 100 points for filling in the shopping preferences form. However, you convert to Avios in chunks of 250 points = 300 Avios. After spending £25 you would have 25 base points plus 500 bonus plus 100 shopping preferences = 625 WorldPoints. You will be able to redeem 500 immediately but will need to spend another £125 to get up to another multiple of 250.

• Curtis says:

I missed the Tesco promo for the Samsung Galaxy Tab because my relative wouldn’t confirm that he wanted one, but he now does.

Is it worthwhile to get it with this promo (does anyone know how much it costs at LHR)?