Hilton HHonors has quietly updated its terms and conditions. These show that the qualification requirements for status will be changing (ie getting worse) for 2013.
- Silver status remains at 4 stays or 10 nights.
- Gold status (and Hilton has the best mid-tier of any hotel scheme, as I will explain in a week or so) goes up from 16 stays, 36 nights, or 60,000 base points to 20 stays, 40 nights, or 75,000 base points
- Diamond status (which isn’t worth much more than Gold) goes from 28 stays, 60 nights, or 100,000 base point to 30 stays, 60 nights, or 120,000 base points
Gary’s theory, over at View from the Wing, is that there are too many Gold members. This is, of course, Hilton’s fault because it has started giving Gold status away as a free benefit with its US credit card!
Truly, the tail is wagging the dog when people who actually stay in the hotels get shafted in favour of people who take out a co-branded credit card!
The UK Hilton card does not come with automatic Hilton Gold – you need to spend £10,000 per year first. You do get free Silver status just for getting the card, though. American Express Platinum cardholders in the UK are given a one-off 1 year of Hilton Gold.
How to earn Hilton Honors points and status from UK credit cards (February 2024)
There are various ways of earning Hilton Honors points from UK credit cards. Many cards also have generous sign-up bonuses.
Do you know that holders of The Platinum Card from American Express receive FREE Hilton Honors Gold status for as long as they hold the card? It also comes with Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Premium and MeliaRewards Gold status. We reviewed American Express Platinum in detail here and you can apply here.
Did you know that the Virgin Atlantic credit cards are a great way of earning Hilton Honors points? Two Virgin Points can be converted into three Hilton Honors points. The Virgin Atlantic cards are the only Visa or Mastercard products in the UK which can indirectly earn Hilton Honors points. You can apply here.
Virgin Money is offering double points on spending until 14th April (£5,000 cap) to new customers when you apply for the Virgin Atlantic Reward+ Mastercard. Click here to learn more.
You can also earn Hilton Honors points indirectly with:
- American Express Gold (20,000 bonus Amex points)
- American Express Rewards Credit Card (10,000 bonus Amex points)
and for small business owners:
- American Express Business Gold (20,000 bonus Amex points)
- American Express Business Platinum (40,000 bonus Amex points)
The conversion rate from American Express to Hilton points is 1:2.
(Want to earn more hotel points? Click here to see our complete list of promotions from the major hotel chains or use the ‘Hotel Offers’ link in the menu bar at the top of the page.)