Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Further to my Priority Club post yesterday ….

Yesterday I ran a post on changes to the Priority Club loyalty programme for 2013.

Here is a further update.  During yesterday, I redeemed a 15,000 Priority Club points voucher that I received when I renewed my InterContinental Ambassador membership.

I had been saving the voucher back until January 1st because I had been expecting the 15,000 points to count towards my Platinum renewal for 2013.

Priority Club Gold card

However, having redeemed the voucher, my account still show:

Only 50 more qualifying nights or 60,000 more points to maintain Platinum Ambassador for next year.

So, in case anyone was wondering, the Ambassador joining kit points vouchers do NOT count towards status anymore.

There really is zero chance that I can keep PC Platinum status on stays alone under this new structure.  It looks like I will be ponying up £99 for the Priority Club Black Visa card, assuming they let me have it again (having already cancelled it early in 2012!), which now comes with Platinum status as a benefit.

IHG Rewards Club update – November 2020:

Get bonus points: IHG’s current promotion is ‘2x’, which runs until 15th December 2020. You can learn more in our article here. You can register here using promo code 44480.

New to IHG Rewards Club?  Read our two-part overview of IHG Rewards Club here and here and our article on expiry rules here.

Buy points: If you need additional IHG Rewards Club points, you can buy them here.

Want to earn more hotel points?  Click here to see our complete list of promotions from IHG and the other major hotel chains or use the ‘Hotel Promos’ link in the menu bar at the top of the page.

Comments (7)

• Traveling Engineer says:

Is there a link for the Platinum status application for the black card? on the site its only mentions 20,000 points that count towards obtaining the Platinum Status? Plus the usual benefits.

• Geoggy says:

Is Plat worth £99? Since getting it with the credit card I have made 3 CP stays and received no status recognition in any of them apart from a letter and some water. Requests for upgrades are net with lies generally disproved on an iPhone search on availability.

• Raffles says:

There are 2 aspects to this.

1. It is possible, after the massive cut in Plat numbers this year, that benefits will be improved next year. From yesterday, hotels in China are giving free internet for example, and that could be rolled out.

2. Plat benefits depend on hotel. I was at the Crowne Plaza Festival City in Dubai twice last month, and got a pile of free drink vouchers (4 on my first visit!), free internet and offered a check-out as late as I wanted (was told 6pm would be OK, not that I needed it). Holiday Inn Sheffield gives you a free kit-kat and nothing else. Last time I was at CP Birmingham City Centre they said Plats got a Club upgrade every (I think) fifth stay.

The credit card is worth £99 because of the sign-up bonus for the first year. By the time your renewal is due, you’ll know if the benefits are improving for 2014.

• tyrole says:

I was upgraded to Club when I stayed at the Crowne PLaza London City over the weekend – free film, free internet but sadly no entry to club lounge as it was full. The night before in Bexley we had free chocolate and 2 free drinks vouchers. Both these stays were reward stays.

• Nick Botterill says:

Many thanks for the informative site – dismayed to see the changes to PC that mean this Plat of many years most probably won’t requalify in 2013 🙁 Looking into the MBNA card, and echoing Traveling Engineer’s comment above, it now seems to make no mention of Plat status – any idea if I’m just looking in the wrong place, or if this is yet another ‘enhancement’ to the programme?

Many thanks,

Nick

• Raffles says:

They have NEVER mentioned Plat as a benefit on the website. But trust us, it is! I have a new 40,000 points sign-up link, by the way, which I will be posting in a day or so.

• Nick Botterill says:

Thank you Sir, very much appreciated!