Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

100% bonus on BAA WorldPoints transfers to Avios

You have probably already seen this if you are a BAA WorldPoints member, as it is a condition of membership that you receive their email newsletters.  However, it is possible that you didn’t read yesterdays email closely enough, as this was tucked away towards the bottom!

From April 2nd until April 14th, the conversion rate to Avios is doubled!

You will receive 600 Avios points for every 250 BAA WorldPoints you convert.  The standard rate is 300 Avios per 250 WorldPoints.

WorldPoints

Now, there are two issues with the email that went out:

It mentions 14 May and 14 April as the closing date.  The WorldPoints website confirms that the deadline is 14 April.

It says that when the promotion ends, the conversion rate will ‘revert’ to 250 Avios for 250 WorldPoints.  Since they use the word ‘revert’, I assume this is a typo and that it will actually revert to the current rate of 300 Avios.  No devaluation, hopefully!

If you are not a WorldPoints member, this fantastic WorldPoints sign-up promotion is still running.  It offers 1,000 WorldPoints for joining and spending £10, which is worth a whopping 2,400 Avios points if you redeem for ‘double Avios’ before April 14th!

You MAY still be able to get 2,400 Avios for £10 if you are flying out of Heathrow in the next few days!  Simply open a new WorldPoints account via the link in the post above, spend £10 in Heathrow duty free, keep the receipt, and then immediately scan it and email it to WorldPoints.

They will credit your account immediately (same day, usually) and the 1,000 bonus WorldPoints will be triggered.  You can then do the transfer before the 14th April and so get the double Avios.  You won’t have received your physical WorldPoints card by the 14th, but it doesn’t matter as the retro-claim process works so well.

Comments (38)

• JK says:

Has anyone tried a conversion yet, out of interest? I tried after recceiving the email but got an error saying “Unfortunately we have been unable to complete your request. Please contact Customer Services .”

I’m wondering if this is unique to me, or if anyone else has had the same issue?

Cheers,
    JK

• Mark says:

It worked for me just now, and many thanks to raffles for pointing this promotion out!.

• JK says:

Ah-hah, called them, and figured out what I was doing wrong! I had 10,513 points, which I was trying to convert as 42 rewards! I stupidly didn’t read the small print. You can only convert 10k points (=40 rewards) in this promotion.

So note to others in case you also get an error: there is a limit to 10k points / 40 rewards. Trying to convert to more will result in the error I had! 🙂

• xcalx says:

I signed up through the promo and received 2 new cards for family members and will be transfering through LHR tommorow, so this is good timing.
    I have some National book tokens which I am intending to use at W H Smith for the obligatory holiday read. Would this method of payment count as spend or do I need to go down the cash/card route.

cal

• Yassim says:

Hi
    If I unsubscribe after receiving my double avios, how long is it before I qualify for the next sign-up bonus?

• Roger says:

I think for once that ‘revert’ may actually mean ‘revert’, rather than the devaluation of such words as ‘enhancement’. I believe that the 250:250 rate did apply in the distant past.

It’s confusing because there were different rates for converting to Air Miles/Airmiles and BA Miles before both became Avios – ISTR historical conversion rates of 250:300 for Airmiles and 250:250 for BA Miles. Of the two, I only converted to Airmiles for that reason.

• tom says:

Did my £10 spend and got only 10 points! Didn’t get the 1000 bonus

• Jake says:

Did you sign up using the correct link and promo code? Has it been 24 hrs since your 10 points appeared?

• Rob says:

Email WP, they will sort it out very quickly (as long as put the 749 code into the box on the form when you registered).

• andy21 says:

My £11 spend a weeek ago posted to my account within 24 hours but still no 1000 bonus points. Is it worth ringing/emailing them?

• Rob says:

Definitely email. The customer service is excellent, the best of ANY loyalty or credit card scheme I use.

• Alan says:

Totally agree with that – their CS is top-notch, really impressive!

• Max says:

I have signed up using the correct link and promo code and received the cards.
    However, I have no plans to travel by 14 April to spend the tenner in duty free.
    Can I buy a Heathrow Express ticket (for future date) from LON Paddington to trigger the spend by 14 April and benefit from the WP-AVIOS offer?

• Rob says:

Check back to old comments on HEx and WorldPoints promos. I’m not sure if the points post when you buy the ticket or after date of travel. If the latter is the case (it may not be) – as the tickets have 3 or 6 (check) months validity from the date on them – you’d need to book one now for a date before 14 April, so the points trigger now, then collect the ticket at a later date.

• Alan says:

Have commented below, but I’m afraid that in my experience so far they only post AFTER you’ve taken the trip – perhaps because the tickets are refundable (subject to admin fee) so they want to make sure you’ve take the trip first. I think it’s the actual ticket being scanned/used that triggers it, rather than just passing the date as HEX tickets are valid for (at least) 3 months so even if you don’t use it on the day you booked to use it you can use it at a later date. They also don’t bother about whether it’s LHR -> PAD or PAD -> LHR, they’re valid either direction. Once scanned it then seems to come across a few days later to WorldPoints (think you might have to have done out and return but given I normally do this within a couple of days I’m not sure if it would post after the outbound leg only was used).

• AndyGWP says:

Excellent – thanks for your site raffles!

We were due to fly out of Heathrow last Wednesday, and returned Sunday. Signed myself and my wife up to the card offer a few weeks ago due to your original post, and we spent a couple of quid extra in Boots (on top of a meal deal for 2) on each card, each way to trigger the £10 spend. Got the bonus points and redeemed them yesterday when I saw the double avios offer 🙂

(tried to post the double avios offer on the original thread but I assume they close to comments after a certain amount of time)

• Rob says:

Yes, I close threads to comments after 14 days. This is partly because it is practical, and partly to cut down spam. For ever genuine comment on the blog there are about 10 spam comments, 99.9% of which automatically quarantined. If I left all old posts open to comments, the amount of spam would be (even more) out of control.