B&Q is the only major retailer not to accept American Express cards, which means that Avios collectors with British Airways American Express cards tend to give it a wide berth.
(There is a way around this – you can go to Tesco and buy a pile of B&Q gift cards on your American Express card and then redeem them in B&Q, but it is a bit of a pain, to put it midly.)
It may or may not be a coincidence, then, that Avios is the latest partner to join The B&Q Club.
Here is a summary of the deal:
- You can only collect Avios on kitchen, bathroom and bedroom products, including installation
- You can collect on instore and internet orders
- This offer expires on 2nd February – it is not a permanent offer
- You need to join The B&Q Club and link your Avios number
- You can link either an avios.com or British Airways Executive Club account
- Avios will be triggered 45 days after your purchase, to allow for any refunds
Here are the earnings rates:
- Spend £1 – £1,999 and collect 2 Avios per £1 on the total transaction value.
- Spend £2,000 – £4,999 and collect 3 Avios per £1 on the total transaction value.
- Spend £5,000 or more and collect 5 Avios per £1 on the total transaction value
Spending is cumulative across the period to 2nd February. If you spend £1,999 in November and another £1,000 in December, the second purchase would earn at the ‘3 Avios per £1’ rate.
As this deal does not include general decorating products (paint etc) it is obviously not as good as it could have been. Any new partner is an improvement, though.
If you’re buying paint, stick to buying £50-worth of B&Q gift cards in Tesco – you’ll earn 150 Clubcard points as a bonus for spending £50 on gift cards, and rack up some Amex spend.
How to earn Avios from UK credit cards (August 2021)
As a reminder, there are various ways of earning Avios from UK credit cards. Many cards also have generous sign-up bonuses!
There are two official British Airways American Express cards:
You can also get generous sign-up bonuses by applying for American Express cards which earn Membership Rewards points, such as:
We also recommend Capital On Tap for limited companies. You earn 1 Avios per £1 which is impressive for a Visa card:
Click here to read our detailed summary of all UK credit cards which earn Avios. This includes both personal and small business cards.
(Want to earn more Avios? Click here to visit our home page for our latest articles on earning and spending your Avios points and click here to see how to earn more Avios this month from offers and promotions.)