B&Q is the only major retailer not to accept American Express cards, which means that Avios collectors with British Airways American Express cards tend to give it a wide berth!
(There is a way around this – you can go to Tesco and buy a pile of B&Q gift cards on your American Express card and then redeem them in B&Q, but it is a bit of a pain, to put it midly.)
It may or may not be a coincidence, then, that Avios is the latest partner to join The B&Q Club.
Here is a summary of the deal:
- You can only collect Avios on kitchen, bathroom and bedroom products, including installation
- You can collect on instore and internet orders
- This offer expires on 2nd February – it is not a permanent offer
- You need to join The B&Q Club and link your Avios number
- You can link either an avios.com or British Airways Executive Club account
- Avios will be triggered 45 days after your purchase, to allow for any refunds
Here are the earnings rates:
- Spend £1 – £1,999 and collect 2 Avios per £1 on the total transaction value.
- Spend £2,000 – £4,999 and collect 3 Avios per £1 on the total transaction value.
- Spend £5,000 or more and collect 5 Avios per £1 on the total transaction value
Spending is cumulative across the period to 2nd February. If you spend £1,999 in November and another £1,000 in December, the second purchase would earn at the ‘3 Avios per £1’ rate.
As this deal does not include general decorating products (paint etc) it is obviously not as good as it could have been. Any new partner is an improvement, though.
If you’re buying paint, stick to buying £50-worth of B&Q gift cards in Tesco – you’ll earn 150 Clubcard points as a bonus for spending £50 on gift cards, and rack up some Amex spend.