Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

New – higher – British Airways American Express bonuses now available

My top post today outlines the special 20,000 Starwood points sign-up bonus that is now available again on the SPG Amex card.

At the same time, Amex will also today temporarily increase the sign-up bonus on the two British Airways cards:

The Premium Plus version, with the £150 annual fee, now offers 25,000 Avios instead of 18,000 Avios.  You must spend £3,000 within three months to receive the bonus.

The basic, free, card now offers 9,000 Avios instead of 3,000 Avios.  You must spend £1,000 within three months to receive the bonus.

British Airways Premium Plus American Express

Note that, if you are reading this first thing on Thursday morning, the higher rates may not yet be showing.  Give it a little time.

My full review of the benefits of the Premium Plus card is hereAmex’s own home page is here.

My full review of the free card is here.  This is actually the most improved deal jumping from 3,000 to 9,000 Avios.  Amex’s own home page is here.

(To see our complete list of all current credit card bonuses, click here to visit our ‘Credit Cards Update’ page or use the link in the menu bar at the top of the page.)

Comments (60)

• RochdalePioneers says:

Thanks to Raffles for the referral link, one free card applied for and in the post. Since I cottoned onto this Avios gig I’ve been busy with my Amex Gold card, but 11k points for £1k spend (including bonus) is better than the 2-3k I’d get buying rail tickets with my Gold card.

Question. Card arrives next week hopefully, a grand on rail tickets before Christmas, I get my Avios points when? Best to then cancel this card (as my Amex Gold is better for normal use with bonus MR points) or should I leave it open?

• James says:

You should get the Avios straight away – they are credited as a bonus with the transaction that takes you over the spend threshold.

If you are not going to spend any more on it or push for the 241 voucher (which is after a £20k spend on the free card and, as Raffles points out, not worth doing as youd be better off paying the fee and getting the extra Avios) then you could cancel and reapply for another bonus in >6 months

• RochdalePioneers says:

Unlikely to make use of a 2-4-1 voucher inside its 12 month window this year, plan to bank as many points as possible using Amex Gold’s bonuses (eg I get 5 points per £1 at my local Esso/Tesco Express filling station) plus take easy bonuses like these 10k free points, and then work on a 2-4-1 for my 40th in 2016…..

• Simon says:

This sign-up bonus for the free card ends on Feb 12th 2014, I assume the Premium Plus offer will also end then.

• Mark says:

There also appears to be a decent bonus available on the Gold Charge Card at the moment… 9K referrer plus 22K referee, no fee in the first year (with a year’s worth of double supermarket & fuel points) and two free lounge visits through the Lounge Club scheme.

Spend requirement is also lower than the BAPP at £2K over 3 months. With the possibility of a conversion bonus and more flexibility this may be a better option for many (or go for both if you are you able to put enough spend through them…..).

• Nick says:

I had an email about this card recently – they were offering the standard 22,000 avios, plus a satnav and a nikon camera. Bizarre

• Rob says:

Amex does a lot of testing. There is a VERY targeted mailshot offering 40,000 points on the SPG card – someone sent me details of it – for example. There was also a mailshot offering 40k + £200 fee discount on Amex Plat earlier this year, again only sent to a small number of people.

• Elena says:

Is it worth going for the BA or the SPG card?
    I am thinking of applying for this one to get the 2 for1 voucher. So I think I will be using this one for a while.
    Do you know if there is any conversion bonus for Avios coming soon?

• Rob says:

Both of these offers come around every 6-8 months, so whichever one you hit now, the other one will almost certainly come around again!

• The Other Steve says:

I’m going to have to wait unti January before I can apply for any card after getting an Amex in July – hope they still have a good offer.

• Rob says:

Why, what card did you get in July?

There is NO block on getting the SPG bonus, whatever other Amex cards you have. The only cards that block the Gold and Platinum bonuses are other Gold and Platinums. The BA bonus is only blocked if you’ve recently cancelled a BA Amex.

• Another Steve says:

I got the Platinum Charge Card
    I thought I read somewhere that you can only get one promotional bonus per 6 months.

• Rob says:

No, that’s not how it works.

The cards break down into 4 groups. You can only have 1 bonus PER GROUP every 6 months. The relevant groups for us are:

Plat / Gold / Green / Centurion charge
      BA / BA Premium Plus
      SPG
      Nectar

If you’ve got a Platinum charge, you can sign up for anything from the other 3 groups at any point and get another bonus.

• Yet another Steve says:

Slightly random question for you Raffles. Say you cancel a credit card, and settle the account. Then a few weeks/month later, a retailer refunds a certain amount to that credit card (which you then transfer to a different Amex credit card). Does the refund “reset” the 6-month clock? Or is the effective date the date you called to cancel?

I have this situation with a few pre-orders I made with Tesco Entertainment, where they refunded a few pounds under their price promise after I cancelled the card, so I’m trying to work out when I can re-apply.

• Rob says:

Absolutely no idea. In theory, credit card accounts never really die – MBNA still shows online accounts I cancelled many years ago, and the card numbers don’t get reissued ….

• Scottish Lassie says:

Hello,
    Sorry slightly off topic but my query relates to the BA Amex premium card and I just wondered if you guys could help…I have a BA Amex card which I’ve currently spent just over £10k, I’m nowhere near able to earn £10k by the end of Dec to earn a companion voucher but I think I read somewhere that if I called and asked to be upgraded to the BA Premium card they would be able to transfer my spend from my original card thus gaining me a companion voucher? Sounds too easy and I’m wondering if I’m missing something……I suppose I wouldn’t be eligible for the reward points that id get if I just opened a new card but I’d rather have a companion voucher to be honest!
    Thanks for your help!