Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

BA increases the annual purchase limit for Avios to 27,000

I’m not sure if this is ‘new’ news or if it has been available for a few weeks.

However, both ba.com and avios.com are now showing an increased cap for purchasing Avios.  It has been lifted from 24,000 per year to 27,000.

Avios banner

I generally do not recommend buying Avios.  If you must buy them, I generally recommend waiting for one of ‘30% extra’ promotions that turn up on a regular basis.

However, if you absolutely, desperately, necessarily must buy some at short notice, you will now find the new higher cap in place.  The price for 27,000 is £447 ….

In reality, as you can buy 27,000 via avios.com, iberia.com and ba.com – and then merge them via ‘Combine My Avios’ – the effective annual cap is now a whopping 81,000!

Comments (16)

• Manuel says:

I thought I read yesterday somewhere that there would start a sale next week.

Or is this just my wishful thinking?

• John says:

If you have 7 people in a household account and you really needed them, could you not buy 567000 avios in a year?

• Mikeact says:

Hopefully ‘Share my Avios’ will also increase from 24k to 27k. I needed to transfer 25k to my wife’s account for her to obtain a couple of tickets but it wasn’t possible.

• Tony says:

Are you not better off setting up a household account? That would let you pool the miles as opposed to having to ship them between accounts…

• Liam says:

OT but can i book a single baec reward ticket on my account for my girlfriend (not on my account) or does this cause problems? It would be an aer lingus flight so will have to do it over the phone regardless. Any info appreciated as always! Thanks

• Gaz says:

Don’t know if it’s already been mentioned elsewhere, but I’ve also noticed that BAEC Gold benefits have recently been tweaked:

Upon reaching 5,000 Tier Points, BA gives members 3 supplementary cards: 1 Gold + 2 Silver. (Previously it was just 1 Silver card at 4,500 Tier Points)

• Rob says:

Not done a full post on this as only applies to about 5,000 people! Lots of potential to obtain a Gold or a Silver for yourself if you know someone who is one!

• liam says:

If anyone wants to send me one just let me know 😉

• Polly says:

Hi Liam, are you Ireland based? Anyone know of any avios credit card offers in Ireland? Or if tesco over there does club card to avios points? Thanks

• JOE says:

If anyone can upgrade me to BA Silver or Gold, I’ll sort you out

• Simon says:

If anyone is thinking about buying miles to top off an American Airlines account there is a bonus of up to 15,000 miles available until the end of the month.