Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

BA Gold? Book £1 Avios sale tickets THROUGHOUT 2014!

My main post on the £1 ‘Reward Flight Saver’ deals in the Avios sale can be found here.  This post is only for BA Golds!

If you are a British Airways Gold card holder, you will know that one of the benefits is that you can change redemption bookings for free, without paying the £25 fee.

This means that, because of the way BA calculates the taxes on reward tickets, until midday on Wednesday you can effectively book the £1 Reward Flight Saver fares for the next 355 days!

(Remember, you must be a BA Gold card holder to do this.)

It is very simple:

Step 1:  Book a reward flight on ba.com (it must be ba.com because a Gold does not get free changes on avios.com bookings) to one of the eight destinations available with £1 tax.  Your booking must be for a flight before May 31st to get the £1 tax offer.

Step 2:  Once booked, you can immediately go into ‘Manage My Booking’ and click ‘Change the date / time of my flight’.  You can change the flight to any point in the next 355 days.  No extra tax will be charged.

Here is one I made earlier.  Old flight:

Lisbon

Madrid

Nice

Rome

Comments (64)

• squills says:

I did a Tesco convo yesterday and Avs appeared in the a/c in under 24 hours.

• Callum says:

That is the standard Tesco conversion rate.

• CV says:

As i sat on hold to BA i thought it worth mentioning that you can avoid their 0844 numbers by dialling 0191 490 7900. It will recognise the call as being from the UK and ask you to dial the 0844 number so either dial 141 first or withhold your mobile number via an option in the settings menu. Still on hold.

• Trevor says:

With some mobile networks (it works for me with 3) you can dial #31# before a number to selectively hide yours without going about changing any settings back and forth. If it works for you, just store numbers like this in your phone (if you dial them frequently enough to warrant saving) with the #31# prefix. I have a few I do this for.

• Joe says:

Trying to charge me £ 91.90 Taxes etc

• HPN-HRL says:

Hi Raffles,

Sorry for the (probably) silly question – I haven’t flown BA long enough to know this.

Can I (BAEC Gold) book one of these RFS for a (non-Gold) friend with my points and make changes (keeping the cost at one pound) so she can fly in August?

• Rob says:

No, unfortunately not.

Unless … you also book yourself on the same flight. You can then make the changes as there is a Gold in the booking. You would then ring BA and remove yourself from the booking and refund your ticket (no fee).

The only snag would be if they still charged you the £15 telephone service fee as a Gold.

• jo says:

Trying to change my flight online; I receive the ‘please contact BA….’ error message.

• Rob says:

It normally works OK for point to point flights, if you’ve got a connection in there it does seem to cause issues as pazza2000 commented yesterday.

No loss – if you can’t change it, as a Gold you can simply cancel it outright for free anyway.

• Alan says:

Worked OK for me yesterday for a flight with an overnight connection in London 🙂

• pazza2000 says:

I’ve made 6 reservations in total (mostly all tentative), all with domestic connections. I could move the same day connections online no problems, however the two bookings with overnight stopovers in London (outbound) could not be amended online. That being said, was easy enough to do so over the phone.

Is there a Gold Line non 0800 tel#? I normally call the standard 141 (outside the UK#), however the wait times have been a little longer than I like recently.

• jo says:

sorry spoke too soon. tried again, changed for two bookings with many thanks.

• Alan says:

Just had a look at changing a booking made during this and there appears to be no cost to change 🙂 Obviously can’t change the routing but it seems to allow time/date changes…

• pazza2000 says:

Ah, don’t tell me this! I would have made a few more tentative reservations (to freely amend)

• Alan says:

Haha, sorry 😀 I made one provisional for an AMS weekend (using up a Hilton voucher), one for Nice in the Summer and made this one other AMS one with the thought of moving it to a suitable date for an ex-AMS TP run 🙂