Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Hilton / Amex ‘£50 cashback on £250 booking’ offer is back

American Express and Hilton Hotels have brought back their generous ‘£50 cashback for spending £250’ promotion.

It is restricted to the first 15,000 American Express cardholders to register their card via this website.  This offer should work with any UK Amex card, whether issued by MBNA, Lloyds or directly from Amex.

Hilton Diamond 2

The rules are relatively simple:

Valid for stays until 30th September

Minimum spend of £250 in one transaction

Valid at Hilton, Waldorf-Astoria and Doubletree properties (except Doubletree Liverpool)

NOT valid at Hampton properties

Valid only at UK hotels

The site states that you need to book directly at hilton.co.uk.  For advanced purchase stays this is correct.  However, if you are booking a ‘pay at check-out’ rate then I doubt it makes the slightest difference whether you book via the Hilton website or hotels.com etc.  Amex will pay the bonus regardless as long as it sees the relevant Hilton reference on your card statement.

This offer is hugely convenient for me because we will be spending £500 at a UK Hilton property this weekend.  I will be splitting that bill across two cards.

(To see our complete list of all current hotel promotions for the major chains, click here to visit our ‘Hotel Promos’ page or use the link in the menu bar at the top of the page.)

Comments (27)

• GG says:

A tenous link to Amex here… I hold an Amex Plat Card. I’ve already given a supplementary plat card to my wife. Can I give a supplementary Gold card to a family member who lives abroad. Will they have the full travel insurance benefits?

I’ve called amex about this – and keep getting different answers. They have said they would only post the card to a UK address though.

• Rob says:

Amex is fussy about ID for supps, I couldn’t get one for our nanny. Will struggle for overseas resident. Insurance may also be void as has restrictions on days you can be out of UK.

• idrive says:

I had no issues with supp cardholder. if they reside at the same address….it’s ok

also check insurance, they must be at your same address if i am not wrong to benefit.

Please note that after the first supp cardholder, they charge you to release the plat card!

• Rob says:

True, but the Gold supp cards still have the Platinum insurance policy, you just don’t get the hotel cards etc.

• Sideysid says:

Think this will go very well with my free night certificate in a few weeks to the Hilton Molino Stucky in Venice.

I’ll use the certificate for the Sunday and then pay for an upgraded room the next night (which is £260 in the 40% off summer sale). Then this Amex offer should take it down to £210 – not bad.

As I’m a Hhonors gold, I’m thinking they may upgrade the room the first night if I contact the hotel and merge the two bookings? Here’s hoping anyway.

• Alan says:

Beware that the offer is technically only valid at UK properties, so although you might be lucky you’d have no recourse to Amex if the credit didn’t post.

• Craig says:

I’ve got a £250+ room booked next week at the Waldorf Hilton London, have just registered my AMEX, will try and remember not to use my Hilton Platinum Barclay Card instead.

Thanks for sharing, good post.

• pazza2000 says:

OT; there’s also a card offer of a £10 statement credit for a purchase (NO minimum spend) at the Sunglass Hut. Now I know they won’t sell any Sunglasses near this figure but perhaps they have some accessories which could essentially be free.

• stevejnr says:

I can’t find where it states that this needs to be in one transaction but I remember reading it before – any idea if this has changed?

Extract from terms:
    ———————————————–
    C. Qualifying Spend
    Only valid transactions on your Saved Card during the Offer period are considered qualifying spend for the purposes of the Offer. Transactions that are subsequently cancelled or refunded will not count towards your qualifying spend for the purposes of the Offer.

Transactions on a supplementary card tied to the Saved Card account or on any other American Express card you hold will not count towards your qualifying spend. However, you may save the Offer separately to one of those cards.

The following transactions are not considered qualifying spend for the purposes of the Offer:

(i). transactions processed manually or using a paper based process (for example, transactions processed using a credit card imprinter);

(ii). transactions not made directly with the relevant merchant or where the merchant uses a merchant aggregator, electronic wallet or a third party (such as PayPal, iZettle or Square);

(iii). returned items; and

(iv). transactions which are subsequently cancelled or refunded.
    ———————————————–

• Rob says:

It is almost certainly one transaction.

I triggered this last week across two cards and the credit went on very quickly.