Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

A joke for anyone who has ever used the Servisair lounge in Heathrow Terminal 1

If you have never been to the Servisair (eg Priority Pass etc) lounge in Heathrow Terminal 1 then you won’t understand the humour in this.  Anyone who has ever set foot in the Servisair lounge will smile though.

As I mentioned in my article on Aer Lingus on Thursday, I couldn’t use the new Aer Lingus lounge in Heathrow Terminal 2 last week because it had yet to open.

Instead, I was offered the chance to use the Servisair lounge in Terminal 1 instead.  I was given the following set of instructions:

Take the escalator, lift or stairs to gate level

Make your way through the Departures lounge towards Gate 16, past the Play Area which will be on your right hand side

Continue walking straight ahead, following the signs to Terminal 1, walking past the Special Assistance Area on your right hand side

At the end of the corridor take the lift or staircase down one level then turn left out of the door

At the double doors, take a right

Follow the signs to Terminal 1 departure lounge.  You will be walking in the opposite direction of the travelators.

Upon entering the departure lounge, at the end of the travelators you will WH Smith on your left hand side

Walk past WH Smith towards Hamley’s and Clarks

On your right hand side, you will see a staircase and lift. Use either to make your way to the Servisair lounge which is located on the first floor.

And then, after all that (and remember you have to come back again!) this is what you will find:

Servisair T1

…. although, for the full Servisair experience, you need to imagine that every single seat is taken by a coach party that threw in access as part of a package tour.

I promise you, it’s not worth it ….

Luckily Aer Lingus was offering £20 food and drink vouchers as an alternative, so I popped into Caviar House and bought half a bottle of champagne to drink that evening!

Comments (24)

• Oh! Matron! says:

Ryanair don’t do airport lounges. But if they did….

• craig says:

Was in T1 Servisair this week before flying out to Frankfurt-Rio-Curitiba. I’d got access for the family through booking the flights through RBS account services. Whilst I get the point it’s hardly top brow, it still beats the busy seating areas and crowded cafes below and offered a bit of respite before a gruelling journey. It was mid-afternoon on a Wednesday and there must’ve been around 40 people in there including ourselves so not heaving (though I did see the T3 one at well over capacity once).

• Andy says:

Not quite T1, but No1 Gatwick was full on one of my trips (have PP with Natwest Black). Overheard woman in front of me ‘What do you mean it’s full. I have the AMEX Platinum card. I bet nobody else here has an AMEX platinum card’. Not sure if she wanted the desk to throw out the ‘coach parties’ but was quite funny. Ended up sitting in F&B next door.

Lounges are getting busy now so not sure of benefit anymore on UK side. PP does come in useful when coming back though.

• Andrew S says:

Perhaps this will encourage some new startups and provide a little more competition? 🙂

• squills says:

Anybody who’s there just for the free beer should get slung out on their arse.

Oops 😉

• Richard Brown says:

Have never found a Servisair lounge I have liked, the best so far being a few years ago at Manchester. The one at Gatwick south is dire, overcrowded and with poor catering!