(EDIT: BA has pushed up some fares since this article was written. So much for a sale …..!)
The launch of the British Airways Winter Sale was overshadowed by the Air Traffic Control meltdown which occurred on the same day. Aviation is always a tricky business to manage at the best of times.
The long haul part of the sale is ‘average’ as far as I’m concerned. What IS of potential interest is that the ‘ex-Europe’ sale has also now launched, so you may want to check your target destination for prices out of Copenhagen, Brussels, Dublin, Amsterdam and Oslo. These have all offered aggressive prices over the past year. I will pick out some of the best deals next week.
I was taking a look at short-haul prices out of the UK yesterday. The easiest way to do this is to look at the Low Fare Finder tool on ba.com which is one of the cleverest wheezes that BA has launched in recent years.
I spotted was some decent deals in Club Europe. These will be of special interest to anyone who is close to requalifying for Silver or Gold status and would like 80 cheap tier points to top up their balance.
If you set a cap of £225, the following routes look interesting. Note that you can get tickets at these prices for most of the 2015:
- Gatwick to Alicante £174 return
- City to Amsterdam £198 return
- City to Angers £199 return
- Gatwick to Barcelona £175 return
- Heathrow to Bilbao £175 return
- Gatwick to Bordeaux £219 return
- City to Dublin £199 return
- Gatwick to Geneva £219 return
- Gatwick to Ibiza £224 return
- Gatwick to Malaga £174 return
- Gatwick to Nice £220 return
- Gatwick to Pisa £219 return
- City to Quimper £195 return
- Gatwick to Rome £219 return
- Gatwick to Seville £175 return
- Gatwick to Turin £219 return
- Gatwick to Venice £219 return
- Gatwick to Verona £220 return
- City to Zurich £199 return
If you look at short-haul economy, there is a LOT available for under £100 per person. Bilbao starts at a laughable £66 return. Again, the Low Fare Finder tool is your friend.
All of these fares need to be booked by 27th January at ba.com. They are, in general, valid for almost all of 2015.