Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

25% off Avios redemptions to Spain on some Iberia routes

Earlier in the week I wrote about the new routes Iberia was launching from the UK over the coming months:

Edinburgh to Madrid
Manchester to Madrid
London Luton to Vigo
London Heathrow to Gran Canaria / Las Palmas
London Heathrow to Tenerife North

Iberia has now launched a redemption sale to launch some of these routes.

Iberia A330 350

You can save 25% on the Avios required to book:

Edinburgh to Madrid
London Gatwick to Madrid
London Heathrow to Gran Canaria
London Heathrow to Tenerife North

as well as Oviedo to Tenerife, Madrid to Ibiza, Madrid to Nantes, Madrid to Nice and Madrid to Lyon.

To get the 25% discount, you MUST book via iberia.com.  These means transferring the necessary Avios to an Iberia Plus account.  This is only possible if your Iberia Plus account is 90 days old and has earned at least 1 Avios.

The key dates are:

Book by February 26th
Travel between March 29th and July 15th

As an example of pricing, London Heathrow to Tenerife North prices out at 15,000 Avios + £59 in economy, factoring in the 25% discount off the Avios portion.   If you book the same flight on ba.com you will pay 20,000 Avios + £113!

Comments (16)

• danksy says:

Slightly O/T but I got an email from Iberia this am telling me I had 10% off flights from UK to Spain. (their typo below… not mine :D)

How to take advantage os this promotion?

1 Enter iberia.com. – Sign in with your Iberia Plus card and your PIN.
    2 Access “My promotions” section for futher details os this promotion.
    3 Plan your journey and book your flight. Don’t forget to sign in before you start your search.

• David says:

How can earn the 1 Avios required to activate my IB+ account? Are there any current promos etc running – everything I look at is at least a couple of years old!

• Rob says:

erewards was the easiest way but the sign up link seems to be broken. Transferring Amex points will do it, as would some hotel points, or crediting a oneworld flight, car hire or hotel stay to Iberia.

• mark2 says:

Amex says minimum 1000 points and BAEC says Iberia account must be 90 days old. Is there another way please?

• Rob says:

There is no way around the 90 day rule. That is why I have always encouraged people to open an Iberia account, even if they have no idea what they would want it for, because one day they will need it and they will be stuck with a 90 day wait!

• Pr99 says:

? Are Iberia flying LGW to Madrid now? I have meetings in Madrid 3 or 4 times a year and it was always a pain having to drive past LGW to travel from LHR.

• Mikeact says:

In the examples shown, shouldn’t they reflect the £35 RFS option ?

• Dave says:

Is this targeted? It’s pricing up at the normal rate for me.

• Mikeact says:

I’ve been trying to compare the BA Zones against Iberia’s, but I can’t make head nor tail.
    It would help if I could find on Iberia’s site what their Zones refer to as they certainly don’t seem to tie in with BA zones, as the Avios required are totally different in most cases,
    eg Heathrow to Tenerife is Zone 4 at Off Peak @ 20,000 Avios return with BA.
    Iberia chart, (Using Iberia Not BA) is it Zone 3 OP @20,000, or Zone 4 OP @22,000 ? ( I guess based on Rob’s example above, they use Zone 3, but if the Zones are supposed to be consistent within the world of Avios then this is not the case. (I stand to be corrected!)

• Rob says:

Agreed. Something seems to be ‘up’ here – either the zones are different (which would surprise me, because the whole point of Avios is that the zones are the same throughout) or the Iberia system is wrongly coded. I priced Lima this week, for example, and Iberia charges less than expected given the distance.