Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

500 Avios points sign-up bonus with Iberia Plus

Iberia Plus is currently offering 500 bonus Avios points when you sign up and have some account activity within 45 days.  This could be as simple as transferring 1,000 Amex points or some hotel points.

If you’re not a member, now is the time to join.

I continually stress on Head for Points that every reader should have an Iberia Plus account and should try to earn 1 Avios point in it.  Once you have earned 1 point and your account is 90 days old, you are allowed to transfer Avios points to and from British Airways and avios.com.

The benefit of this is that, when Iberia runs a good promotion, you are in a position to take part.  They run occasional Avios redemption sales like this one which can be excellent value.

Iberia Plus redemptions are also the ONLY way to book yourself onto Vueling using Avios points.  There are also other exclusive Iberia partners such as Royal Air Maroc.

Iberia A330 350

In any event, taxes on Iberia long-haul redemptions are 75% lower than taxes on British Airways long-haul redemptions – as long as you book them via iberia.com and not ba.com.  You can learn more about that here.

After the Avios devaluation, there will be another reason to book Iberia flights via Iberia Plus.  All Iberia redemptions via BA will be priced at ‘peak’ rates after April 28th.  Iberia redemptions will have peak and off-peak pricing – leading to large savings on off-peak dates – when booked via iberia.com.

If you’ve never opened an Iberia Plus account, this 500 Avios points bonus seems as good a reason as any.  Head over to iberia.com here.

You can generate some activity by transferring 1,000 Amex Membership Rewards points, crediting a BA or oneworld flight or crediting a car rental or hotel stay.  Unfortunately the e-rewards sign-up link, which was any easy way of banking 750 Avios points in Iberia, no longer works.

Comments (43)

• Winston says:

Yes I had a surprise 500 point bonus yesterday when I checked my account balance.
    But even more surprising, was a 9000 point transaction in connection with my economist subscription, even though I cancelled this within the 14 day eu cancellation period, seems they gave me the points anyway!

• JK says:

Iberia regularly sends offers from Vinoseleccion where you can earn Avios for buying wine. 2 cases of Marques de Caceres arrived yesterday bringing in 960 Avios. Not a bad way to activate the Iberia account…

• Pete McAllister says:

Hi JK, that sounds like a good plan – am struggling to register on the vinoselection website though: region and postcode it won’t take, they need to be in Spain I guess? Any tips for UK registration and delivery? Thanks!

• Ralf says:

Do you know if the 500 points will be credited for a Membership rewards transfer?

• MIM says:

Just signed up and got the confirmation email mentions ‘500 Avios as a gift’.

The exact wording is “So that you have Avios from the very first day, we will give you 500 Avios as a gift if you use your card on your next flight or with one of our Partners within 45 days”.

What’s the cheapest option to secure these?

• Gman says:

500 points if you have a flight or transaction with partners in 45 days. Quote from the welcome e-mail: “500 avios as a gift. So that you have avios from the first day, we will give you 500 avios as a gift if you use your card on your next flight or with one of our partners within 45 days”

• Graeme says:

Slightly OT but this article is nicely timed for me, so apologies….

My mum, my partner and her sister recently got 12,500 Avios in their new Iberia accounts through the Economist offer and the bonus above. Since they’re all such nice people, they want to give the Avios to me. From what I understand from other HFP articles, I think I need to open each of them an Avios account, combine the Avios, then put us all together as a household account, then eventually write to Avios to split that account and leave the Avios with me.

Is that right? Is there a simpler way to get them all in my account? Thanks all!

• Rob says:

Correct. Assuming you don’t want to open a BA household account, you need to move each persons points to avios.com, form an avios.com household account, wait a couple of months then post back the HHA break-up form indicating that 100 per cent of the Avios should be given to you.

• Lee says:

I tried to register and it wont accept my UK passport number. Anyone else experience this?

• AndyGWP says:

Is it because you may already be registered?

My (now) wife currently has a massive 220 points in her account, and I am struggling to change her surname using Iberia Customer Service, so thought this was a good opportunity to bin off the old account and start a new one.

Is reporting the passport number issue here to (she hasn’t changed her name on her passport yet), so the only thing I can think of for me, is that it’s already got it in the system somewhere.

• AndyGWP says:

Ah – fixed it… it thinks it’s being clever and has spotted an error in the format of your passport number.

Enter something like this:
        AB123456C

It should accept it… you can then go into your account settings when registered, and change it and it will save (though still throws a validation wobbler!)

• Jason says:

I put a P in front of my pasort number. I think it might be Spanish passports have letters in there numbers.

• Jono says:

HI,

Don’t have any amex points or hotel points to transfer to Iberia plus?
    Whats the next easier way to “earn” a point quickly? How would I go about buying wine and use my account to credit points?

Thanks

• Rob says:

Heathrow Express has an option to credit to IB if you book via heathrowexpress.com/avios

I trashed a recent email offering wine but someone may still have it.

• Liz says:

Hi Jono,
      I don’t collect Amex rewards or hotel points either. Go to the email you got from Iberia when you registered – click on “check partners” then go to Purchases – look for Vinoseleccion – click on the promotion/offer at the bottom then click “here” to get the 6 bottles of Marques de Caceres – change to English at the top of the page – 480 points and hopefully the bonus 500 plus free delivery for your first order.