BA

One interesting quirk with the new Avios scheme we never expected

My main article today summarises all of the Avios changes that took place yesterday.

Everything is as we expected.  Except one thing.

As you will know if you followed my articles on the changes, Iberia is introducing its own reward pricing chart with its own peak and off-peak dates.  It looks like this:

Iberia chart PNG 2

What I didn’t expect is this:

ba.com is using the Iberia pricing chart to price Iberia rewards.

Here is the proof from ba.com:

rsz_iberia_avios

This flight – if priced using the British Airways chart used for BA and all other partner airlines – should cost 120,000 Avios.  However, ba.com is pricing it using the Iberia pricing chart and applying the Iberia off-peak calendar.

You should still not book this flight on ba.com!

If you move 68,000 Avios to Iberia Plus and book it that way, the tax will fall from £323 to £137.  However, not everyone can move Avios into Iberia Plus because a) your Iberia account must be open for 90 days before you can transfer and b) you must have earned 1 Avios point in the account.

If you can’t fulfil both of the criteria above, booking via ba.com will be your only option.  I can see a lot of people heading down to Madrid in the near future ….

Bonus Hilton HHonors points with the IHG Visa credit card!
Your one page summary of the Avios changes

Comments

1. Flight Risk says:

Hey

I have 2 x $50 Cathy Pacific Airways service vouchers, I am not likely to fly with them this year, what’s the best way to get rid of these? Ebay?

Thanks

2. Can I transfer Amex Points into Iberia would that activate the account? (Can i then transfer those point from Iberia back to Ba?)

• Phillip says:

Yes and yes.

• Trevor says:

Yes, yes and yes (however the ability to transfer from Iberia to BA depends on whether you have a BAEC Household account or not. If you have one, you need to transfer via Avios.com

• What happens if you have a household account in both BAEC and Avios and you want to transfer points between Iberia/BA/Avios?

• If you have household accounts in both avios and ba you can’t transfer between them.

That’s because an avios HH account is in a single family name, not individual pooled accounts like ba.

Your best bet would probably be to break up the avios.com family account. I think Rob has covered how to do this efficiently in a past article.

3. Trevor says:

I didn’t realise that Iberia Econ rewards were going up. Just as well I already booked LHR-MAD for July else I’d potentially be paying 5k Avios more per person x 4 each way!

• Matthew says:

I thought they were the same peak one-way (7,500) and cheaper off peak one-way (6,500)

4. Has anyone managed to move any Avios between Avios and Iberia in the last couple of weeks. It always fail when I try on my accounts or my niece’s.

• Matthew says:

Yes, worked fine for me but my BA account never got locked out nor did my Iberia a few weeks back.

• Might need to try it on all websites in all directions, I can only move Avios into BAEC using avios.com, and out of BAEC using ba.com, and I can’t move between BAEC/IB+ directly.

• You will need to reset the password. Click on the forgotten password and follow the instructions. I needed to do this last week.

• gnarlyoldgoatdude says:

Or maybe not.
        I’ve been chasing this on FlyerTalk. Apparently we will need to call IB+ and find a knowledgeable agent to help. Resetting the password may or may not work on its own.

• I tried that, but no difference.
        I will try again manana.

• Stephen says:

You need to call Iberia there is a London number. They refer to Madrid. Took a full week to unlock mine but then could combine and made a booking.

5. If only Iberia’s website allowed you to book a reward seat!!

6. krys_k says:

Maybe I’m a dumb-cluck, but how do you get to see Iberia prices via avois from BA site? I’ve tried the site itself as well as through Exec Club and can’t find it. Thanks in advance!

7. Raffles,

Great website ! – I have been using this website this year and saved money on travel .
    How do I we contact you to advise on offers you don’t have posted currently ?? .

8. Transferring Avios to Iberia+

Log in to your Avios account and go to the “combine your avios” it will ask for your IB+ Id and PIN (ie password)

The key is that the Iberia password has to be capitalised. If your Iberia+ password is

Fred1234

then you have to type in

FRED1234

I was tearing my hair out for weeks trying to get enough Avios into IB+ to get J class tickets to SJO. Someone mentioned this on HeadforPoints a last week, and now it works perfectly for me.

Poor security really,