Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

British Airways £1,000 Club World flights from Germany extended

British Airways has extended its current crazy deal to Hong Kong by another week, until this Friday.  This is NOT a fare mistake. It is a published fare with detailed fare rules.

Below is an updated version of what I wrote when this deal first broke.  The price below are around €45 higher than the previous offer – a tiny bit more but very marginal in the scheme of things.

Until July 24th, British Airways is selling return Club World tickets to Hong Kong from Germany for €1,001 plus taxes and surcharges.

British Airways 350

There are NO advance purchase requirements – you can fly tomorrow if you want. The only rule is that you stay away for a Saturday night.

You do NOT need to fly directly to Hong Kong. You can also fly from Germany to London to Singapore, Shanghai, Bangkok, Chengdu, Beijing or Kuala Lumpur, and then connect to Hong Kong using another oneworld airline.

Free stopovers are allowed, although APD will be added if you stay more than 24 hours in the UK.

You can start from any German airport served by BA.

If you try to book this ticket on ba.com it will price at around €1,447 depending on routing.  With the continual collapse of the Euro, that works out at £1,005.

Here is the interesting bit ….

Tickets must be booked by July 24th and you must start your trip before August 16th.  However, you only need to fly from Germany to London by August 16th – if you don’t mind paying the Air Passenger Duty (another £150 or so) then you can have a stopover in the UK of up to 11 months if you want!

Here is an example with a huge Summer-long stopover in London at €1,666:

BA Hong Kong screenshot

Have a play around at ba.com and see what you can find. Note that availability over Christmas is very slim as the required fare class is rarely available.

I strongly recommend – as per my main article today – that you DO take the final leg back to Germany, even if it is a few months after you arrive in London.  British Airways appears to be planning a clampdown on people who do this.

Comments (38)

• C Y S Yuen says:

How do I add a stopover? Do I use a TA or just use multi-city search?

• Luca says:

try matrix.itasoftware.com – plenty of options with little added cost.

• Rob says:

Multicity search should do it. If you want a stopover in Singapore, Chengdu etc then you CANNOT use ba.com as it can’t sell you the connection to Hong Kong. You’d need to try the Expedia multi-city tool, or use ITA Matrix to get it to price and then email Propeller, Amex Travel etc with the dates.

• Ben says:

Does anyone know if the following routing is acceptable, given that there is a stopover on the way to HKG *and* on the way back? DUS-LHR-BKK-HKG-PVG-LHR-DUS

• Rob says:

Should be possible. Rules allow 2 stopovers in each direction.

• Michael C says:

Seems like you can’t have a stopover each way in addition to LHR, only in one direction. No matter what dates or combinations I use as soon as I have a stopover each way the price increases hugely. Still a superb deal though!

• Alistair Tucker says:

Just a reminder that if you are using the expedia.com.hk website to book this fare to make sure you put your first name and surname in the right boxes ! I managed to put my last name first and vice versa. Luckily after a few phone calls made by the check-in staff at the airport BA let me fly !

• TrollBasher says:

Thanks for the heads-up regarding the extension to this offer.

Managed to snag DUS-LHR-KUL-HKG-LHR-MUC last night on BA’s own site for £1151.

Looking forward to the B787-9 to KUL 🙂

• chewyjoint says:

Thanks for the heads up on this. Although not available on ba.com, the Cathay connections do show up on aa.com, is there any reason not to book via aa.com?

• Rob says:

If AA can see it, the BA call centre should be able to see it. Or, alternatively, AA is showing phantom availability and it will crash during the booking process. No reason not to use AA though.

• Luca says:

What is the best German airport to do a back to back to?

• Rob says:

To be honest, given the high number of frequencies, I’m not sure I’d bother. Hamburg and Frankfurt have flight every couple of hours. Easier to fly in, head to the lounge and then leisurely get the next one. Just came back from Hamburg yesterday but for the life of me can’t remember if they segregated me when I arrived! Back there on Saturday anyway.

• Peter Brown says:

I did this in June from Duesseldorf.
    On the return, I asked for my checked luggage to terminate in LHR as I was returning that evening DUS-LHR anyway and it would save them fuel and hassle for me.
    When I was in DUS, I received a call from BA asking if everything was in order – they were about to send the luggage to DUS!
    Now, if I hadn’t had my telephone number clearly marked and I hadn’t been able to answer the call, my luggage and I may have crossed paths over the English Channel.
    Next time, and there _will_ be a next time, I might add an explanatory note to my luggage, stating my intentions.