Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

How to pre-order your BA duty free for at-seat delivery (and earn Avios!)

I would be fibbing if I said that I had never bought any duty free items on a flight, but I’m rarely in the mood – especially when trying to keep two children under control.  The pre-order service – known as ‘buy before you fly’ – from British Airways is therefore worth a look, and very few people know it exists.

Pre order duty free

You can go to this website before your flight, and select duty free items at your leisure from the High Life Shop.

Your items will be delivered to your seat, and you will earn 2 Avios per £1 on your spending.

This is only available on long-haul flights, with ‘selected’ routes excluded (I can’t find a list of the excluded routes).  You need to order at least three days before you fly.

This method also allows you to compare prices before you fly, so you will know if you are genuinely getting a bargain or not …..

Comments (19)

• Nick Burch says:

Not available on BA 1 through 4 at least

• Jhk says:

Beter TO fly with a non uk pound or us$ airlines because with The euro you are 30% cheaper

• ee says:

We pre-ordered some spirits ex-Hong Kong, and when the goods were delivered the CC member was unsure whether we had to pay (again) on board. I got the feeling they see relatively few pre-orders. She swipped our Exec Club cards, but the points never properly came through.

• Jason says:

I’ve bought on flights, giving them my BAEC number, and the points never showed.

• square1 says:

Not sure why you say it’s only for long haul. It’s advertised as available for pre-order on the European flights as well.

Certainly not duty free, within EU – it’s duty PAID – but the prices are good eg 1 litre Smirnoff Blue 50% ABV £14.

• Rich says:

You wont be able to buy Smirnoff Blue for that price Duty Paid (intra EU)- I don’t think you can buy much (or any alcohol) on EU routes

• Rob says:

I just copied what the terms and conditions said!

• square1 says:

Just a quizzical one: I see the promo here:
    Part 3. 10% off online orderes delivered onboard – High Life Shop July newsletter

1. Offer available for all online orders excluding tobacco and clearance items.

2. Offer is valid until Friday, 23.59 PM GMT, 10.07.2015.

3. Offer cannot be used in conjunction with any other promo code available at http://www.highlifeshop.com.

Now, why would you run a July promotion ending on 10 July? Probably the July newsletter is the one that comes out in June, right? So it is over. Or is it US date system? Ie Oct 07 2015?

• Think Square says:

7th October isn’t a Friday, so that’s one possibility ruled out

• Jerry says:

Gordon’s is £14 a litre on board and £15 a litre in Morrisons currently. DF Gordon’s is 47% while domestic is 37.5% but it’s hardly a saving for all the carrying around.

• Paul says:

What an utterly pointless service! Why can’t they focus on punctual departures, fixing the hand baggage farce on short haul and pre ordering of the meals. On so many levels they are behind the competition and yet you get this rubbish.
    Flew with them on their monopoly route to Glasgow last weekend. Lounge was disgusting and flight late again. I have not been on an on time BA service this year!! Can’t wait for new lounge in T5 to open ( hope it will take priority cards) as BA need some competition on the ground and in the air.

• Steve says:

I used this same service on KLM earlier this month from AMS to SFO. I didn’t know when the items would be delivered to my seat so I just left it.

After the meal service the purser announced to the whole plane “Would Mr Steve please make himself known to the cabin crew, we have some articles to give to you and we cannot find you in the plane”.

Considering I was still in my assigned seat as well as three others from my family in the same row, they couldn’t have looked at the passenger list too closely.