Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Bits: Qatar deals from Edinburgh, Tesco delivery saver free trial

News in brief:

Qatar running good Business Class deals from Edinburgh

Qatar Airways appears keen to build up interest in its Edinburgh service.

There are some good deals bookable before 21st October.  These are valid for travel at any point in the next year, subject to occasional black out dates.

Edinburgh to Dubai is £1,250 in Business Class – a decent price.  Most of Asia and South Africa is around £1,800 – £1,900.

Until 18th October (tomorrow!), these combine with the NEWLOOK2015 promo code.  This takes the fare down to £1,156 for Edinburgh to Dubai.

To put these deals in context, the best sale deal on Qatar from Manchester to Dubai is currently £1,860!

You earn Avios and BA tier points when you fly Qatar and the Edinburgh service is operated with a new Boeing 787 featuring the latest business class seat which I reviewed here.  It is an impressive 1-2-1 layout.

You can see details of the Edinburgh deals on this page of the Qatar website.

Qatar A350

Tesco running 1 month free trial of Delivery Saver

This is slightly off topic for HFP but – given the Clubcard link to Avios and Virgin, and the fact that it is the weekend – worth a quick mention.

Tesco is currently offering a one-month free trial of Delivery Saver.  This allows you to receive your online grocery deliveries free of charge (minimum spend £40).  You also get all of your Tesco Direct orders delivered for free via their ‘next day delivery’ service (minimum spend £10), free delivery on Tesco Wine and F&F orders and first dibs at selecting delivery slots in the run up to Christmas.

You can sign up via this link.  You need to make a note in your diary to cancel after the one month trial is up, otherwise you will begin to be charged the standard fee of £3 to £6 per month.

Comments (43)

• Reney says:

Off topic, but would like some help.

This is the first time I have a priority pass and will be traveling from Terminal 3 at heathrow, there are two lounges listed on the website which do people recommend for early morning? Also the both state a dress code, I like to be comfortable on a flight, am I going to be turned away from a lounge if I am in trainers?

Thanks.

• Rob says:

Trainers are fine, don’t worry.

No 1 Traveller has a decent reputation in T3, not sure about Servisair. No reason why you couldn’t visit both of course!

• Roj says:

No 1 T3 is far better than Servisair, but can become too busy to let you in. Jeans, trainers, t-shirts etc all OK if you are just a nice polite clean fragrant person.

• James67 says:

I have seen some better dressed people begging on the streets than some of folks in the lounges, including myself at times,

• Roj says:

Reminds me of my first flight out to HK as one of a couple of grad trainees joining the bank, some unshaven scruffs in tracksuits seated near us soon introduced themselves as various senior people in the same organisation 🙂

• Rob says:

Oh I agree, I don’t look too great myself in an arrivals lounge at 6am, unshaven, probably wearing the clothes I slept in the previous night!

• David says:

Flew EDI-DOH-CGK last Monday in J. Flight was full in J and had decent loads in Y by the looks of the queues at boarding. Despite only booking 6 days in advance I was able to get £1,950 return (back into LHR) compared with over £3k LHR out and back.

A pleasant service and the 787 cabin felt very spacious with the central overhead bins not present.

• Peter Taysum says:

For Tesco delivery saver, there’s also the benefit that they GUARANTEE if you would have spent less without it, they give you the money back, so consider NOT cancelling…

• Brian says:

The brand match guarantee is valid anyway, isn’t it? Not only with the delivery saver…

• Darren says:

Think Peter is referring to the fact that after the year if it had been cheaper to use PAYG deliveries rather than Delivery Saver Tesco refund the difference.

• harry says:

The pre-order on games guarantee is just against their own (Tesco prices), not vs competitors.

BTW 500 points on various games still going strong = 1200 Avios, finishes 23 Oct.

Brian – thanks for Plymouth tips the other night.

• Andrew says:

I’m trying to plan my Honeymoon and was looking at EDI-DOH,DOH-DPS on 13-OCT-2016 and returning NRT-DOH,DOH-EDI 04-NOV-2016 which has fantastic pricing for similar searchable dates.

Here’s my issue, the Qatar offer site says they need to be booked by today 21-OCT-2015 with a Travel Period of 25-SEP-2015 to 14-NOV-2016 however the furthest ahead it allows you to book is 16-OCT-2016. Do you think the offer will be extended or is it just a typo?

• Andrew says:

The Offers are now bookable until the 4th November, hopefully they will extend again