Bits: BA cuts Club World baggage allowance, Hilton flash sale for North America and Asia, Luxury Travel Diary auctions

News in brief:

British Airways to cut Club World baggage allowance

British Airways is to reduce the luggage allowance for Club World passengers.  All tickets issued after 10th May will only allow you to check in two suitcases, each weighing up to 32kg.

The current limit is three pieces of luggage.

Any tickets issued before 10th May, irrespective of the travel date, will operate under the old rules.

Gold Executive Club Members will still be entitled to an additional free bag.  A third piece of luggage will now cost £120 if pre-booked online or £140 when purchased at the airport.

Waldorf Astoria

Hilton flash sales for the USA and Asia

If you are heading eastwards this Spring, Hilton is running a flash sale for the US, Caribbean, Canada, and Latin America.

Bookings must be made by 4am on Thursday (ie midnight Wednesday Central Standard Time).  Pricing details can be found here at hilton.com.

The maximum discount is 25% which is not huge but certainly better than nothing!  If you have existing Hilton reservations in North America for the next two months you may want to recheck them.  You will need to sign up for Hilton HHonors (free) if you are not already a member.

There is also an Asia-Pacific flash sale which I will cover tomorrow as it runs for a few days.  The discount here runs to 40% – full details are here if you want to take a look now.

Conrad New York

More Luxury Travel Diary auctions closing

The Luxury Travel Diary site dropped me a line about another wave of its luxury auctions closing this week.  These are often worth a look as there are often deals to be had.

Some of the cooler lots, although these are not closing this week, include a seven night holiday for six in Costa Rica and some interesting safari deals.

As usual, it is worth having a look to see if anything takes your fancy.

How to use Avios for domestic Japanese flights - with no taxes!
Five frequent flyer perks I still get as an old-timer but you can't!

Comments

1. Jordan D says:

Disappointing to see that BA are cutting the CW baggage allowance – have not seen it trailed anywhere else. 3 x 32kg + 1 x 32 kg (Gold) was extremely useful, when travelling with my wife recently when they applied the extra bag to the booking so we had 4 x 32 kg per passenger, a total of 256kg uplift.

Handy for bringing back items to furnish our house.

• I have just booked a long haul flight in J on SQ, the luggage allowance is 40kg total. BA is extremely generous.

2. Jordan D says:

Separately: every time you mention Luxury Travel Auctions on here, I seem to lose the item I’ve been successfully holding onto in the bidding … You clearly drive a lot of their traffic!

3. who needs that much luggage? Skiing 4/5 weeks per year and travelling with a lot of equipment I can appreciate 2 sets of luggage but 3…?

• People have homes abroad and go to places such as Barbados for the season. I’d be interested to know what proportion of J passengers use their full baggage.

4. We have only started to fly business class since coming across Rob’s advice first on paidtoshop and now here. Even a second bag we have only used once and that was because we knew we would revisit an orphanage in Sri Lanka, the kids loved all the brio train track and other stuff that filled the extra case. Meant we only needed to buy a couple of sacks of rice locally.

5. Adrian says:

I wish we could take less luggage, my wife takes pillows, hairdryer, kettle and on one occasion even sheets! I guess she likes home away from home!
    Rob you say gold still get an extra case, do silvers still get an extra case too? Thank you

6. dirtyneedlebluesky says:

Although I am only Silver I did contact with BA before I traveled (at the airport and via the contact centre). They confirmed the website is worded poorly/very unclear but a Silver member would also benefit from an additional bag (maybe this does change with the new rules).

Who needs 3 bags? – I’m not sure. Who would like 3 bags? – someone like me. Maybe even 4. Having just completed a trip from North America yesterday I brought back 3 checked bags full of American groceries that either aren’t available here or cost at least 3x the price.

As a first time Club Word user the baggage allowance was the highlight of the experience I really can’t say how disappointed I was with the product. Comparing to Qatar (and even some North American airlines) the experience is shocking. From the layout of the cabin (just who designed & approved this?!), to the standard and presentation of the dinning experience. Qatar even have it right with the private shuttle buses to the plane.

7. Perhaps someone noticed that the luggage allowances for CW and First were the same and decided to differentiate the products.
    I have never used the enormous allowance although it is handy not to have to worry about the last few kilos. Being old now it is a struggle to handle one case and as soon as you start travelling on trains and internal flights you hit lower limits. My wife spent the whole of the last holiday worrying about these limits, but it did save her having to find something else to worry about.

8. Mikeact says:

I use three to include charity items for kids in Nepal. Two are very large and the third fits inside nicely for the journey back home.

9. OOH! nice reductions in Japan at Hilton. Wonder if it is too decadent popping over for a week just to use up the avios burning a hole in my pocket….

• I can’t see much value in Japan. Standard rates are the same. Maybe depends on which hilton?

10. Very much Off topic, does anyone know if Melia Gold status through Amex Plat qualifies for the 3 X 20% off vouchers?

My account has been updated to Good but nothing in the post and no mention of vouchers at login.

I’ve got Accor and Carlson cards through but nothing from melia.

• I’ve just received my Melia Gold card in the post and the brochure that it was attached to clearly stated “3 discount vouchers for 20% off stays (1)” – the small print then said “(1) can be redeemed in one calendar year”. No actual vouchers provided, however if you login to your account and click on ‘My Promotions’ you should see the following – “20% discount
      Here is your 20% discount code which you can use for 3 different bookings during the calendar year.
      The discount applies to each of the bookings.
      Book with this code
      Valid until 31st December 2016
      Non-refundable reservation, changes and cancellations are not allowed”

11. Lee Harris says:

Great news on the Hilton deal. And it works into early summer, too – not just spring. I had a hotel booked in Manhattan for June 23-30, and it’s $400 cheaper with the flash sale. I checked if it would work for my next trip in August to Kansas City, but it doesn’t extend that far.

• Annoyingly the non-refundable hotel room I have booked for this weekend is £60 cheaper in the sale. Oh well, I would have been having kittens if I hadn’t booked it by now!

• Contact the hotel directly and see what they can do. I’ve done this a couple of times with Pullman hotels – in both cases, they have issued me a credit for the difference for use during my stay. They can’t change the rate, since it’s non-refundable, but having the difference for bar drinks or restaurant spend is not a bad alternative. And you’ve got nothing to lose by doing so.

• Thanks for the tip. I booked it through an agent, not direct (had gift vouchers to use) so I doubt they’d give me anything. Will bear it in mind in future, though.