Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Bits: BA cuts Club World baggage allowance, Hilton flash sale, Luxury Travel Diary auctions

News in brief:

British Airways to cut Club World baggage allowance

British Airways is to reduce the luggage allowance for Club World passengers.  All tickets issued after 10th May will only allow you to check in two suitcases, each weighing up to 32kg.

The current limit is three pieces of luggage.

Any tickets issued before 10th May, irrespective of the travel date, will operate under the old rules.

Gold Executive Club Members will still be entitled to an additional free bag.  A third piece of luggage will now cost £120 if pre-booked online or £140 when purchased at the airport.

Waldorf Astoria

Hilton flash sales for the USA and Asia

If you are heading eastwards this Spring, Hilton is running a flash sale for the US, Caribbean, Canada, and Latin America.

Bookings must be made by 4am on Thursday (ie midnight Wednesday Central Standard Time).  Pricing details can be found here at hilton.com.

The maximum discount is 25% which is not huge but certainly better than nothing!  If you have existing Hilton reservations in North America for the next two months you may want to recheck them.  You will need to sign up for Hilton HHonors (free) if you are not already a member.

There is also an Asia-Pacific flash sale which I will cover tomorrow as it runs for a few days.  The discount here runs to 40% – full details are here if you want to take a look now.

Conrad New York

More Luxury Travel Diary auctions closing

The Luxury Travel Diary site dropped me a line about another wave of its luxury auctions closing this week.  These are often worth a look as there are often deals to be had.

Some of the cooler lots, although these are not closing this week, include a seven night holiday for six in Costa Rica and some interesting safari deals.

As usual, it is worth having a look to see if anything takes your fancy.

Comments (86)

• Genghis says:

I don’t really understand why one would really want to take so much luggage! If travelling for work or leisure, one case plus hand luggage is more than sufficient. Perhaps if you’re moving home internationally and want to take loads of stuff with you rather than get it shipped…

• Leo says:

+1. 3 cases = nightmare.

• John says:

Every American seems to do it. I wonder what exactly is in there when I see them struggling on the tube.

• Brian says:

Going by dirtyneedlebluesky’s comment, they are probably bringing in all the American groceries that they can’t get in Europe. Another thing I simply don’t understand – why go to another country and take all your home comforts with you? Isn’t the point of travel to broaden one’s horizons? And are these American groceries really so superior to their European counterparts that it is worth lugging them halfway around the world???

• Danksy says:

I’ll ask my wife… she packs 3 cases, but only ever uses half of one… Then she insists on washing everything that hasn’t been used… can’t find anything to where!

• Andy says:

we take 3 and come home with for, plus our carry-on’s

• Lady London says:

I do have very good reasons for needing as much luggage as I can get. One good reason is all the presents I carry when I go to see family on the other side of the world. There are many other good reasons too. Luggage allowance is even more important than class of travel for me. I definitely choose my ticketing carrier/first outward leg, and routing (via US or via Asia?) accordingly.

If you tend to need to carry a lot of luggage like me, the overriding luggage allowance conditions that apply for travel to or from North America are well worth familiarising oneself with, if you need to carry a lot of luggage. These regulations mean that if your ticket is to or from North America then the first ticketing carrier i.e. which airline’s code is on the first outward flight on the ticket, has the luggage regulations which will override any other airline’s luggage rules for all the flights on the rest of your ticket including BA’s. This can work for or against you. The outward segment does not even have to be on an aircraft belonging to the ticketing carrier – just which flight code is used on the first segment determines which luggage rules apply throughout the ticket. This override applies only to tickets falling under the North American luggage regulations.

Whatever, the most generous luggage policy gets my business and this is another nail in BA’s coffin for me.

• Gavin says:

Obviously never seen a flight come in from Lagos!

• flyforfun says:

When the US dollar was 2 to the GBP, I went out with 1 case and came back with 3. The savings I made on clothes and other items meant it was worth it, despite the hassle.

I’ve also known people who were moving countries fly the premium cabins so they could bring more stuff with them. I lad who’s parents had split up and got taken to South Africa with his mum as a child, built up enough miles for a one way F ticket when he turned 18 and moved back to start university here. He was just on his limit for each bag!

• Yuff says:

The seaplane to Rangali has a strict limit of 25kg per passenger so I’m governed by that 🙂
        Ps I like to take as little as possible anyway 😉

• Alan says:

I must say that’s the only time I’ve done it. BA Gold got me 50% extra luggage allowance with QF, so I got 70kg in F – would have loved to have had the BA allowance as that would have been 96kg even under the new rules! Normally I don’t even go over 20kg on a single bag, when flying ex-EU from the regions you would end up paying a lot more for your positioning flight if you took lots of luggage!

• Ralphy says:

Managed to pack a summer segment on the Gold Coast and a winter segment in NZ for a one month trip, regularly washing my smalls when I shower; my bag was 0.5kg over at 32.5kg, no problem for BA who kindly tagged it as 32kg. Who would need more?

• John says:

Women.

• Susan says:

Well this woman managed 4 weeks split between hot Sydney and cold Dunedin with a 15kg carry on and moderately large handbag. And that included shoes for hiking and partying. It can be done 😉

• Genghis says:

I think my wife needs to take some lessons from you. I like to travel HBO but my wife doesn’t so we end up ‘wasting’ time with checked in bags.

• Andy says:

if you don’t want to go out dressed up at night of course

• Lady London says:

and if you’re spending your days in just a thong… 🙂

• Susan says:

Andy – what makes you think we didn’t dress to go out? Lots of dinners and entertaining but frankly most people don’t give a stuff what anyone else is wearing as long as it is clean, tidy and reasonably appropriate for the setting. It’s easy to change the look of a plain dress/outfit with a selection of costume jewelry and a few different scarves/wraps. One bagging does take a bit of laundry and effort and won’t suit everyone but it works for me 😉

• Kathy says:

Last time I did a longish holiday (a 16-day escorted coach tour in America) there was one couple who had a small hand baggage case weighing just 7.5 kg between them. Yes, between them. The tour guide gave a prize each tour to the person with the least luggage, so had weighed them all – she said it was a record!!

Of course, they had to find somewhere to do laundry every few days….

• Oli says:

r.e Hilton FS – The NZ offerings are really quite slim unfortunately although Aussie looks good over the coming months. Remember the additional 1.5% that needs to be paid at the hotel will still be added on top.

• Alan says:

Just to say if you pre-pay in advance you won’t be charged the 1.5% fee, only when paying on-site at the property (had lots of stays last year). I’ve had fantastic upgrade at all my Hilton NZ stays – and I’ve been to all of them 🙂

• Susan says:

Well done, we stayed at the Hilton Adelaide recently and got “upgraded” to the same type of room as we’d booked “but it’s on the club floor so you have lounge access” – which as Diamonds we would have had anyway. Great views from the lounge and very nice breakfast.

• Alan says:

Agree, nice lounge at that property – I also found it in a good location for walking about the city 🙂

• Jordan D says:

Disappointing to see that BA are cutting the CW baggage allowance – have not seen it trailed anywhere else. 3 x 32kg + 1 x 32 kg (Gold) was extremely useful, when travelling with my wife recently when they applied the extra bag to the booking so we had 4 x 32 kg per passenger, a total of 256kg uplift.

Handy for bringing back items to furnish our house.

• James says:

I have just booked a long haul flight in J on SQ, the luggage allowance is 40kg total. BA is extremely generous.

• Jordan D says:

Separately: every time you mention Luxury Travel Auctions on here, I seem to lose the item I’ve been successfully holding onto in the bidding … You clearly drive a lot of their traffic!

• Swede says:

who needs that much luggage? Skiing 4/5 weeks per year and travelling with a lot of equipment I can appreciate 2 sets of luggage but 3…?

• J says:

People have homes abroad and go to places such as Barbados for the season. I’d be interested to know what proportion of J passengers use their full baggage.

• Zoe says:

We have only started to fly business class since coming across Rob’s advice first on paidtoshop and now here. Even a second bag we have only used once and that was because we knew we would revisit an orphanage in Sri Lanka, the kids loved all the brio train track and other stuff that filled the extra case. Meant we only needed to buy a couple of sacks of rice locally.

• Adrian says:

I wish we could take less luggage, my wife takes pillows, hairdryer, kettle and on one occasion even sheets! I guess she likes home away from home!
    Rob you say gold still get an extra case, do silvers still get an extra case too? Thank you