Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Bits: cheap Avios in-store with Tesco printer ink, good Miles & More Economist deal

News in brief:

Tesco running a new IN-STORE printer ink deal

Until next Sunday, Tesco is offering 480 Avios (ie 200 Clubcard points) with every HP printer ink you buy in-store.  The cheapest is £7 as you can see here.

This is 1.45p per Avios if you throw the cartridge in the bin.  If you eBay them or use a ‘£x off £y spend’ coupon you may have got in the post recently, it gets more interesting.

You can find more details – plus ways of escaping the Tesco Grocery delivery charge – in this Shopper Points article.

11,400 Miles & More miles with an Economist subscription

Lufthansa Miles & More miles are hard to earn without flying.  You can’t even buy them.

What you can do is buy Starwood Preferred Guest points and transfer those to Miles & More.  When you transfer 20,000 at once you receive a 5,000 miles bonus, so 20,000 SPG points = 25,000 Miles & More.

This is why this new Economist offer is more interesting than usual.  Via this link, you get 11,400 Miles & More miles for a £179 Economist subscription.  That is 1.57p AND you get all the magazines.

If you know anyone in the US, you could order a subscription for them and pay just $190 (£131).  A Canadian address costs you C$190 (£101).  At £101, and with a number of Canadian relatives, I am tempted.  The deal ends on 31st May.

Comments (26)

• harry says:

Address changes are free & quick with the Economist, ie easy enough to switch your subscription back to a UK address

• Waribai says:

Can we please not go down the road of suggesting people buy stuff and chuck it in the bin? Maybe it’s just me that feels uncomfortable with such terminology!

• Rob says:

Obviously sending them off to recycling / Oxfam is more sensible but I’m not sure you were meant to take it literally!

• Waribai says:

Haha….I do take much of what you say literally thus have amassed a large stash of points!
        I must admit I used to be the first one down the dump but these days as I often try to unload unwanted stuff in a good condition (read printer ink!) at one of the more ‘generic’ London markets with the bric a brac stalls East Street, Elephant and Castle etc. I find stallholders there often take anything in a reasonable condition!
        Childrens toys etc we still take to the charity shops are they are often gone by the time we walk past 30 minutes later!

• The_Real_A says:

I’m sure the receptionist at our Canadian office was thrilled with her subscription last year…

• Matt says:

My sister-in-law in Montreal genuinely was happy, until I cancelled it and kept the Avios..

• mrsilver says:

Again? Really?!

• Idrive says:

I have purchased the Economist Deal with Lufty in Sep2014, do you think I could reapply or the M&M number will be an issue?

• Rob says:

May well be an issue – unless your status changed and you got a new number.

• idrive says:

Yes, I think so too…Status? what is status with M&M? ahah, no way! I have flown some 4/5 supercheap segments..:-) but have to admit that SAS seats are very comfortable! and very nice flights!

• Andrew* says:

Wasn’t reading comments late yesterday so repost appreciated…

Still worked fine; thanks!

• Mr Dee says:

Very good offer thanks

• Rob says:

Thanks. That was meant to be in the article today but the Tesco deal appeared at 10pm so I junked it.

• sohan says:

That looks interesting. Do you have to change to Points & Miles to get the offer? If so do you lose out that many HHonors points?

• Rob says:

Yes, you need to switch. You may well get double points as well, on the base points bit, although that isn’t guaranteed.

• Rik says:

Outrageous offer – can only be used if travelling with a 5-15 year old. Yet another example of those who choose to have children being pandered to, and given something not available those of us with a social conscience , who considerately decide against filling up an already over-populated planet, etc, etc. Yours enraged, a Daily Mail reader.

• Thomas says:

Couldn’t have said that better myself!

• Oyster says:

You seem to have forgotten about:
      2 together railcard
      Senior railcard
      Network railcard
      Student railcard.

Sorry for the non Daily Mail response!

• Tilly71 says:

Just a thing to remember, the hp inks are not the best deal around even with 200 pts. I found a duo pack on amazon of hp black and colour inks for £10 less than Tesco selling separately or as a duo.