Bits: Which? magazine writes about HFP readers, the BA Amex Premium card lives!

News in brief:

Which? covers the end of Royal Mint commemorative coin purchases

In the past I have written about Royal Mint offers where you could buy commemorative coins at face value – using a miles earning credit card – and then pay them into your bank account.

I was always cautious of such deals because it was often tricky to find backs that would accept them.  Eventually the Royal Mint intervened and told banks to stop taking them.

The story was picked up in Which? magazine this month (thanks to James):

Which? magazine commemorative coins

Is Amex still issuing the BA Amex Premium card to new customers?

If you can remember the peak days of Busted, McFly and Natasha Bedingfield, you might also remember the British Airways American Express Premium card.  It looked like this:

rsz_pic_premium_card (2)

It offered 1.25 Avios per £1 (half way between the free and Premium Plus cards) and required £15,000 of spend (half way between etc) for a 2-4-1 companion voucher with an 18 month validity (half way between etc).

It was only half way successful and was quickly withdrawn by American Express.

However, this comment was posted at Flyertalk this week.  A Premium Plus cardholder who wanted to downgrade – presumably after triggering his voucher – was offered this card as an alternative to the free one.

I doubt this was a random agent who had decided off their own back to relaunch a card last seen when they were still at primary school, so it is possible we may see more efforts by Amex to bring it back.  I know that Amex has continued to re-issue new BA Premium Amex cards on expiry to the few people who still have one.  Thanks to Andrew.

LAST DAY: 2,400 Avios for £60 LEGO spend, plus other active Tesco bonus deals
Paying tax this weekend? Remember credit card fees have been slashed!

Comments

1. harry says:
    • harry says:

Annex B p14

• Yeah, it appeared about a week ago – consensus here was that it looked a bit rubbish but no harm having, it doesn’t seem to require spend to be on the card.

• Just a thought – question for the collective wisdom here 🙂 I believe most insurance policies (at least all the ones I’ve ever had to wade through) have clauses along the lines of “if you’re covered by multiple policies, we may only pay our share of a claim”. So is there a risk that having a bunch of freebie / bundled / not-so-good policies from credit cards etc might actually cause problems if you ever had to make a claim on your ‘proper’ policy? Can you take a credit card (or other product) but refuse the bundled insurance?!

• I know of the sort of clause you mean – I don’t see how they could force you to use some of the cover from a free policy like this though.

• When asked if I have any other cover I always say no and conveniently forget that I probably have something via my current account or whatever. What happens, for example, if Amex insurance insist you split the claim with Supercard (who gave you insurance you never asked for) but Supercard has a £500 excess?

• Quite agree!

2. Harry says:

The face value commemorative coins can however easily be used in any machine that takes UK coins, as indeed can Gibraltar sterling coins. Not great if you have thousands but very useful for smaller quantities, especially at stores that allow you to convert coins into notes or store vouchers.

• The “face value commemorative coins” can be spent as normal coins. Why on earth would you separate these out just to pay 8% to coinstar?

Gibraltar / IOM / CI / St Helena / Falklands coins can just be put into a bag with other coins and paid into a bank.

3. Hi,
    A random amex question.

I have business amex card, if I also apply for personal amex gold, would I get 20.000 bonus points?

Cheers.

• Funtime says:

I emailed Amex CS some time ago about this and was told no.

However, sometime ago Amex said that business cards were for solely business use and not for personal use so may be worth a call?

• So, does that mean any business Amex charge card or credit card can’t be used to pay for a families holiday so then not be able to use priority Pass?

• Oliver says:

Hello I have the green Amex corporate card. I got a gold card no problem

• But is that Green card from YOUR business or given by your employer?

The question relates to self employed business Gold and a personal Gold. You probably would not get a bonus – some do but I know those who didn’t.

4. OT bits – Revolut now allow top-ups via Visa and MasterCard – http://revolutapp.tumblr.com/post/148205788442/acceptingcreditcards

1% fee for using credit card to top up, but then £500/mo allowed in ATM withdrawals with no fee. Card is free to get and no additional credit check. You can hold balances in a variety of core currencies and swap between them for free. Exchange rates seem decent and update live.

5. Not sure if I read this right but is it the case that if you cancel once you have triggered the 2-4-1 voucher the voucher remains in your account to use until it’s natural expiry?

• Nick Haley says:

correct! just as long as you have some form of Amex (BA AMEX) card to pay for the tax on your ticket I think you’re good to go.

6. Nick Haley says:

Just me or does anyone prefer this light silver card colour to both the premium dark grey or the dark blue free one? Perhaps it’s having come from / weened myself off the Platinum!

• I think it’s just you!

Not many people stuck in the time warp of credit card colour = importance, I don’t think it gets you that far anyway unless you are seriously important

7. Like many other commenters I recently downgraded from the BAPP card after receiving the news about the fee increase, this one would have been tempting.
    After downgrading I noticed that my online account shows that I only have a small amount to go before hitting the 20k target needed for the 2-4-1 voucher on the free card and should hit that before my renewal. Does anyone know if it’s possible to get two vouchers per year this way?

8. I also downgraded from the BAPP card today and was offered the £95 intermediate card – with the explanation it’s not on the website and only available to existing card holders. I was informed the Companion voucher validity is 12 months not 18 months as the above article states. I elected the free card I have just earned my voucher, and taken out the Gold charge card referred by my partner.