Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Bits: last day to get 2400 Avios with a LEGO purchase, do you have unclaimed BMI miles?

News in brief:

Last day to get 2,400 Avios with a £60 LEGO purchase!

A quick reminder that today, Monday, is the last day to earn 1,000 Clubcard points (worth 2,400 Avios or 2,500 Virgin Flying Club) when you spend £60 on LEGO at Tesco Direct.  Smaller order will attract 500 Clubcard points (1,200 Avios or 1,250 Virgin miles) for spending £30.

You should take a close look at this deal if you have kids or are expecting to give any presents to a child soon!  LEGO makes a great gift or can easily be resold on eBay.

Full details, and a few interesting sets to consider which are also reduced in price, are in this Shopper Points article (click).  The home page for the £60 deal on Tesco Direct is here and the home page for the £30 deal is here.

‘Click and Collect’ delivery to your local Tesco store will be free as you are spending £30.  The deal ends tonight.

LEGO plane

Do you have any unclaimed BMI Diamond Club miles?

Long term readers of Head for Points will have lived through the acquisition of British Midland (as was) by British Airways and the integration of Diamond Club into British Airways Executive Club.

If you were not taking your frequent flyer miles so seriously a couple of years ago, it is possible that you may have had some BMI miles which you had forgotten about or which you assumed had expired.

This is not the case.  They were frozen and are still accessible using your old Diamond Club credentials at www.diamondclub.org

I received this email last week from a reader:

I used to have the old BMI Diamond Card but forgot about it, and all the points I had. It turned out that I had a balance of over 40000 BMI points which I could convert to Avios. I was under the impression that these points were to be expired as I had not used the account in five years, and I thought the scheme had closed!

I doubt this guy is the only one.  If you think that you may have once had a BMI Diamond Club account and have a record of your account number somewhere, it is worth taking a look at diamondclub.org to see what is there.  Any balance can be moved to BA via ‘Combine My Avios’.

Comments (50)

• Andy says:

I still earn via my diamond club visa whenever I can’t use amex.

• Dan says:

As a total novice – does anyone have any views on which Lego sets sell best on eBay? Or is it much of a muchness?

• harry says:

you could do worse than look up something like bestselling lego on Amazon

er – what has happened to UK education?

you younger guys are meant to be smarter than us thanks to internet savvy

• Simmo says:

I’ve really struggled this time round, still have 2 sets left from the 20 odd I bought!

• harry says:

not very hfp apart from the fact that money is money, points = money

but recently Amazon closed down its UK car parts business

about 5-10p in the pound

so some of us picked up a few bits lol

• Andy says:

So glad I read this post, I’m now 27,500 avios points better off! Thanks

• Genghis says:

And Santander. £38 from a work Hilton stay a few weeks ago.

• Genghis says:

This article for some reason reminded me ask my MIL about coming into our household account. There’s another 10k avios into the mix. I guess the goodwill of giving her a few Mr Muscle squeezies worked.

• harry says:

Genghis there’s no better MIL than a MIL who can’t speak your language! 🙂

I can speak her language but she can’t speak mine.

We get on famously lol

• Andrew Schofield says:

All,

When I log in to the diamond club website it does show that I have quite a few thousnad miles. I click on the ‘transfer’ button it takes me over to my exec club login and as soon as I log in it says ‘Combine my Avios is not available at the moment. Please try again later’ – I have tried twice now on 2 different occasions so am assuming this is a ‘me’ problem not the site.

Anyone have any ideas as to what the issue might be and how I can fix it?

Thanks

• Genghis says:

The tool can be temptemental. I find Google Chrome works. Perhaps try going to BAEC directly?

• harry says:

yep exactly that – just go to your BAEC a/c and pull them over that way – always works in my experience

• Alan says:

Yep as others have said, no point in going to the Diamond Club site, just go direct to BAEC and initiate the transfer from there – you can also do IB and Avios.com transfers there.