Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

First two BA strike dates announced – and what you can do to prepare

Unite has announced the first two strike dates for British Airways mixed fleet cabin crew – Sunday 25 December and Monday 26 December 2016.

The current plan is to operate all long haul services.  Services from Gatwick and London City will not be impacted at all.

The following short haul routes are at risk of cancellation on 25th and 26th:

• Stuttgart
  • Stavanger
  • Venice
  • Vienna
  • Warsaw
  • Zagreb

Passengers booked on these routes currently have the option of:

requesting a refund for their flight, or

transferring to another BA flight on a different day or

flying to another city within 300 miles not on the list above

BA will not move you to a different airline at this stage.  That would only be an option when your flight is definitely cancelled.

The official guidance on rebooking can be found here.

Comments (85)

• JamesW says:

I’ve been on a few BA flights where the crew already seemed to be on strike 🙁

• the-very-real-arry says:

heh heh must have been at the end of a shift

my lot on Friday were a real pleasure

• Godfrey says:

This shouldn’t be a problem for the savvy traveller… In nearly every case the alternative options (Business and first) are better and mainly cheaper than BA. Across the pond AA have stepped up and with 4 across in business, all forward facing, better food and now very good lounges. Even United’s new business cabin beats BA. For flights to Australia, Asia and the Middle East you only have to look at Emirates, chauffeur transfers, 4 across, better food and wine, great lounges and Qatar and Ethiad are close behind, but still well ahead of BA. I’ve been GGL for ten years and having switched, its like having a new girlfriend after a divorce… you finally see what you were missing. BA are continuing to reduce their service at nearly every level and think we will continue to fly the flag….but let’s not forget It’s a Spanish flag!!!!

• EU Citizen says:

That’s amazing news, my Christmas with my family just ruined. Original destination listed, all other airports within 300 miles also listed, they couldn’t make it any worse.. keep my fingers crossed..

• Lady London says:

Does anyone have the feeling that BA are using Ryanair as a benchmark as to how to pay their cabin crew? If so, are BA just being realistic?

• Mr Robert Goldsmith says:

I would like to point out to all that we are still in a free market and all have a chose how we book with, I you feel that BA are being unjust with some of there staff stop doing business with them,
    After all this is not a British Company they only operate using our flag to gain confidence in this very competitive business BA is a Spanish Company so don’t feel any patriotic loyalty as it means nothing to this company.
    I am a frequent air traveller around the globe with Business and Pleasure and believe me BA will never be my first chose.

• Richard says:

I agree Robert but when flying to the US sometimes BA is the only direct option.

• the-very-real-arry says:

Formed in January 2011, IAG is the parent company of Aer Lingus, British Airways, Iberia and Vueling. It is a Spanish registered company with shares traded on the London Stock Exchange and Spanish Stock Exchanges. The corporate head office for IAG is in London, UK.

• uk1 says:

>>Do you actually employ any staff or are you working the system? Pay the wife a salary from my limited company or the classic pay less tax/NI as a self employed contractor?<<

Gosh … you really DO have a chip on your shoulder!