Bits: Avios launches targetted Super Boost promo, Lloyds brings back refer-a-friend!

News in brief:

Avios launches new targetted Super Boost promotion

avios.com launched a new promotion yesterday to encourage you to increase your Avios collecting this spring.

Super Boost is a targetted offer which has gone to a minority of members.  None of my family have received anything.  If you didn’t get it, there is nothing you can do about it.

You need to opt in by the end of February and then collect a specific number of Avios before the end of April.  Irrespective of when you register, all earning from 1st January counts towards your target.

The bonuses are based on your previous earning activity and vary sharply.  For example, I saw one offering:

1,500 Avios for earning 18,000 points or 3,000 Avios for earning 25,000 points

but another reader got:

200 Avios for earning 400 points or 400 Avios for earning 600 points

Quite a difference!

Avios from all air and non-air partners count towards your target.  There is no leeway on the receipt of Avios, however – they must be in your account by 30th April.  If you have the Lloyds credit card, check what date your points hit to ensure that you don’t spend unnecessarily in the final month.

The easiest way to hit your target is probably from a Tesco Clubcard conversion although the cut-off date for the next voucher run is Thursday 26th January.  This means that you will struggle to do anything quickly to earn additional points this quarter.

Be careful about crediting British Airways flights to avios.com because you not receive any elite status bonus that BAEC would give and your tier points will be lost.

Bonus Avios will be credited to accounts by 31st May.  The full terms and conditions are here.

Lloyds Avios Rewards credit card refer-a-friend bonus is back!

I wrote an article yesterday moaning about the loss of the refer-a-friend bonus on the Lloyds Avios Rewards credit card

This definitely seemed to have died. I saw two separate tweets sent by Lloyds to Head for Points readers confirming it.

And then, a few hours after my article appeared, it was relaunched!  You can, yet again, receive 4,500 Avios points when you are referred for the Lloyds Avios Rewards card.

Meanwhile, I have been sent a document showing potential plans for the future of the Lloyds Avios Rewards card.  More on this tomorrow …..

50% off in the Corinthia Hotels annual sale - and status benefits via GHA
Paying tax on 31st January? Remember HMRC credit card fees have been slashed!

Comments

1. Rebecca says:

I got:
    a) collect 500, receive 200
    b) collect 2000, receive 400

I’ll probably collect way over 2,000 as I put my daily spending on it. Better than nothing but not so much to shout about!

2. Steve Smith says:

I concentrate on Choice rewards rather than Avios although I do have both. I await with interest what will happen with Lloyds because if the Amex card is dropped I see little incentive to continue unless they hike up the MasterCard offering in terms of points

3. Haven’t received anything but partner has – not worth any extra effort IMHO.

Looking at the email I suppose the ‘balance growing hints and tips’ means we are going to get flooded with marketing.

4. Avios must like me for some reason then.
    Looking at what other people have been offered I am happy to be offered.
    Collect 8000 receive 4000 & Collect 12000 receive 5000

5. I see that the Caffe Nero rate has changed to 1 per pound from 10.

Offer Collect 2000 receive 400.

• Showing as 10/£ on the website now – and what I got this week (plus 2 HR points and 10% Amex!)

• There was some discussion about this a couple of days ago. It looks like the earning rate drops after a couple of uses. T&Cs state (vaguely) that the earning rate is based on previous purchase behaviour.

6. James67 says:

OT: Just curious, is HFP avoiding the promotion of anything related to Virgin and Flying Club? There seems to have been very little coverage of late or is there nothing much going on?

• Virgin Atlantic’s new website is terrible, I know that.

• Their “Sale” seems to be as underwhelming as BAs “Unforgettable” one..

Have a look at VS FB page, lots of comments on the FlyBE hookup.

As for HFP coverage, see here…

• James67 says:

It goes up and down as would be expected but I just thought that very recently there was a notable absence of posts. I know Rob has to weigh up the relative merits of the issues he can give time and space to but wondered if there was another reason. Coverage of Virgin is not so important to me personally as I use it only to top up hilton points.

• Since the new Virgin website was launched, the marketing team has stopped sending out details of Virgin promotions. (Long story.) If they had, I might have covered it. I also haven’t seen a single comment on here saying it was great – if they had I would have dug into it. I will now go and have a look!

• James67 says:

Thanks Rob, the marketing failure on their part is interesting in itself. Agree with everybody on the website. Only things I have seen of note are the 7000 miles on ISA through end of this month. There is also something on triple miles too, I guess to match the current BA promotion but it seemed to be tied up with mile booster which I’m unfamiliar with so it might not be anything new at all

• Thanks for miles booster bonus offer will go look.

Also VS Cust Services are taking ages to reply to a complaint I put in over a month ago. Not best pleased with lack of response, puts you off booking again…

7. Anthony Telling says:

Mine were:

1) collect 8500 – bonus 2000
    2) collect 11000 – bonus 4000

8. Genghis says:

Just been on avios.com chat to enquire why I might not have received an email:
    “I can see from your account that you do have marketing emails requested on your account, so you will receive offers from us. The Superboost offer is only being sent to selected customers, so you may not receive an email.”
    Oh well…

• Nothing in our house either – despite one opted into marketing.
      Is there a link to a superboost page? And what happens if you access it without an invite (I know the T&C mentions eligibility but…..)

• Thanks for letting us know Ghengis.

• You aren’t necessarily missing out on anything you know….well maybe 50 avios.

9. Derek H says:

My offer was collect 8500 and get 2000 free or collect 11000 and receive 4000.

• And they offered me a quarter of that….11000 get 1000. Do you not collect much with avios normally and they are trying to entice you? Just trying to see their logic

10. OT but has anyone had the 18k Avios for an Avis rental post yet? I’ve had the 700 but not the 18k bonus.

11. Just had an email from avios – been offered Boost only ?!?

12. OT – am helping out a friend looking to fly on Avios to South America and I have suggested redemptions from Madrid through Iberia Plus. Low taxes, good availability.

He doesn’t yet have an Iberia Plus account, and hence will need to set one up and earn at least 1 Avios before being able to transfer more across and book (I think 90 day rule only for transferring out of Iberia Plus?)

My question is what is the quickest way to earn the 1 Avios required to “activate” the account? Unfortunately he doesn’t have an Amex gold card. And must be something better than paying EUR54 to buy 2,000 Avios?

13. Iberia Plus Store is fiddly and I’ve had mixed results with tracking, but some successes – bought a new diary last year through MoleskineES at 20avios/Eur which did post in the end (but was about 2 months)

14. When using the online shopping portal, do you get the same points when using BA and avios or is one better than the other?

• Mostly but not always – worth having a check each time, sometimes bonuses differ in their timings, and the odd merchant only appears in one or the other.

15. No boost, super or otherwise here