BA domestic Club Europe – book with Avios today, check existing flights

As we revealed exclusively on Head for Points two weeks ago, British Airways will launch Club Europe business class on domestic flights from 1st April.

Some behind-the-scenes work was going on yesterday to get things ready.  No domestic flights could be booked for travel from 1st April.  Normal service was meant to resume at 8am this morning.

First …..

If you have an existing domestic sector booked, take another look at it.

You may find that it now shows Club Europe.  This is especially likely if you are connecting to or from a premium class flight in London.

Anyone with a standalone Business UK ticket should also be upgraded.

British Airways club europe domestic flights

Secondly …..

Take a look at your seat allocations over at ba.com.

As of last night BA had not rearranged seating on existing bookings.  However, I would expect it to be done by the time you read this.

If you have an existing domestic booking and were sat towards the front of the aircraft, you are likely to have been moved towards the middle or back.  You may want to check and move yourself if you aren’t happy with where you ended up.

If you were moved into Club Europe, you should check to see if the window or aisle seat you have been given is suitable.  If you are travelling with other people, check that they are still near you – remember that Club Europe seating is 2×2 rather than 3×3 in Euro Traveller.

Thirdly …..

Avios redemption seats for Club Europe on domestic flights should be available from 8am today when the booking system reopens.

I would expect two Avios seats in Club Europe to be showing on every flight.  If I’m right, this is a great opportunity to bag yourself some seats for peak dates – Edinburgh during the Festival, anything you may need for Christmas, New Year, Easter or Bank Holidays etc.  Yes, you’ll be paying 9,000 Avios each-way but that is still probably a better deal than paying cash.

Cash tickets for business class – which we assume will earn 80 tier points return – are pricing at around £199 at ba.com.  If you after a quick tier point run, they may be worth a look.  If you’ve got more time, however, you can get weekend breaks to certain European destinations for similar money and which are likely to be more fun.  A key difference is that these domestic tickets do NOT appear to require a Saturday night stay.

How to earn 20,000 Avios points - or other miles - as a sign-up bonus with American Express Gold!
Bits: Virgin closes HK Clubhouse, 1500 Virgin miles with Worldhotels

Comments

1. Stu R says:

This is probably why I got a whole bunch of MyFlights notifications about changes, and now all bookings showing cancelled domestic segments, and on BA.com too, even though the cancelled segments are identical to the replacement ones …. there had to be an easier way?

• Lumma says:

Same here, logging into manage my booking, they give you the option to accept the new flights (even though they’re the same) or get a full refund. Could be handy if anyone wants to change flights for free

• Just had an email from Iberia cancelling my domestic leg from London Edinburgh on 19 July. The Malaga London leg seems unaffected however, after logging in there’s no alternative offered “service not available” and an “accept changes” option, that’s it. Looks like a call later. My domestic leg on the F flight I have on 4 April was booked into X. BA 1479 now showing as cancelled and has been reassigned as BA 1479, same flight / same times but I’m still booked into X. No idea what’s going on. Same with the return flight on 16 th.

• I’ve found the online system rarely copes with connection flights and changes. A phone call is normally needed, it seems silly from BA’s point of view that they don’t sort out the IT, that would surely be cheaper than all the call centre activity!

2. Meanwhile, prior to 1st April any more news on what (if anything) happens for pax on regional connecting flights on the same ticket as a CW Avios redemption?

• Stu R says:

I’m afraid these will surely always be in Y as they are ‘free’ domestic connections, you don’t even get to use the lounge at your origin unless you have status [rolls eyes at BA] ….

• Andrew* says:

Did a trip in F last year with a domestic connection, was ok to use lounge at NCL before flight south…

• I do a CE weekend to Europe every year and always get in the Manchester lounge on the way to Heathrow. It might be moot now though, I am not paying 18,000 avios in future for a 40 minute flight!

• Not true StuR, we used EDI lounge on our way out to MLE, I was downgraded to WTP, but I was guested in by my wife as she remained in CW.

• That’s not right, Stu – there’s no entitlement for same day connections to CE flights, but it is allowed for CW and F. Never known there to be an issue with those tickets for my folks (who don’t have status).

• trickster says:

Always been fine for me on CE redemptions.

• You often do, but I believe it’s not guaranteed in the same way – lots of reports of issues at LHR, rarely any problems at outstations.

3. Simon says:

Existing MAN-LHR-JFK with the LHR-JFK in First, we are now assigned row 7 on the MAN-LHR leg, and row 6 on the return. This is an existing Avios and 2-4-1 booking.

• Grimz says:

I have CE confirmed now my EDI-GAT leg of my EDI-GAT-ORL 241 booking but no seats assigned unless we pay for them.

4. Mark R says:

Booked Abz-Bcn reward flights yesterday was pricing at 30k miles return in economy, 45k Miles return in club Europe. Where as before it was 36k as uk domestic was economy before going to club Europe for the European sector

5. I have an economy avios return to Edinburgh booked over may bank holiday and the app now shows two separate flights each way in club Europe but still with the original exit seats that I reserved in et (exit seats)

Checking for seating shows only up to row 4 available, so I expect to be in et.

Suppose it’ll sort itself out at some point.

6. Lumma says:

Ot but related in a way, anyone have any recent experience of what ba do if you skip the last leg of a flight with them. I have MAN-BOS via LHR booked and I’d ideally like to not bother going back up to Manchester on the way back. Quite likely to be just using hand luggage so won’t have to worry about checked luggage.

7. bdm82 says:

My EDI-LHR-NYC Avios 241 redemption has booked into eurotraveller for domestic leg

• peter19 says:

I also have this allocated into the euro traveler bucket. I was tracking flight prices for an American trip and its shot up over £1k last night!

• Ditto, my connecting flights on my long haul trip are still in ET, but my short haul trip booked for April is CE on all sectors. Maybe they think we are getting enough perks on the CW leg!

• It’s starting to look as though the connecting flight cabin has been allocated under the lounge access rules, e.g. my Man-Heathrow-Prague flights in April are all on the same day, all qualify for CE. However, connections to my CW flight to GCM later in the year are on different days to the long-haul segment (we’re flying Man-Heathrow the night before, then as the GCM-Heathrow is overnight, the connection is the following day).

That’s the only explanation that’s making any sense to me at the moment!

8. As is normally the case with this airline no courtesy email to advise me that they have changed my seats on my upcoming flight. Fortunately I use
    My flights app and I have an email alert from that showing that I have been moved from row 1 to row 4 on an ucoming flight.
    Note to Bloody Awful BA. I have flight bookings with Garuda later in the year and they have changed twice since being made. On both occasions Garuda emailed me before “my flights ” picked up the change. Something I have never known from BA in any class or any change. It’s pathetic.

• Mr(s) Entitled says:

I get a phone call from Qatar but we know BA set a lower bar.

• the real harry1 says:

have you disabled/ not enabled emails from BA?

I get emails about changes incl checking in, flight time changes etc

• I almost never get any notification emails from BA, apart from seat bookings (pointless, I know, I’ve just made them!) or the useless ‘before you travel’ ones from a week to many months before travel (timing seems random). Never had any useful ones re flight changes, etc.

• Ah, but if you change your seat assignment yourself on ba.com BA sends you an email to inform you that your seat assignment has changed and that I was you who changed it. They don’t go as far as telling you what seat you’ve changed yourself from or to, but hey ho, that’s BA for you.

9. If I go into an existing domestic redemption booking in the app it’s now listed as club europe on the first screen. Got all excited at the free upgrade but when I click through it then says euro traveller and the seat selection shows the back rather than the front of the plane. Still some teething gremlins in the system.

10. Andrew says:

When will the planes actually be being changed to CE seating ?

Ie if flying domestic on 30th March, after a long haul in F… will we be sitting at the front in CE, but before it’s actually officially open ?

• James Black says:

yes, I sat at the last row on F ticket before after BA cancelled my flight and rebooked ticket for me!

• the real harry1 says:

I hope you don’t fondly think you’ll get a better seat! 🙂

11. James Black says:

Sadly, my silver member ended on 1st March, can not choose seat now.

12. Does this mean that I will get free refreshments on my connection to CE from Manchester at the end of April?

Also, if you now book a ET connection to a CE or CW flight, will you still be able to use the lounge at Manchester or will you now have to book CE for the connection to get this perk?

13. Then again, I’ve just checked my booking and all it says is that the Man-Heathrow leg of my journey has been cancelled, no emails or any other info. Hopefully they are still in the process of updating their systems as this could be a disaster!

• Yes, like other members I was alarmed this morning to see our LHR-GLA-LHR flights showing in red as Cancelled but when I click on the booking it shows “replacement” flights with Note New Flight times – which are identical. Seat allocation has been changed from row 10 to row 4 (economy) for the return but is currently “unavailable” on the outbound flight. It does seem their IT system has made a bit of a meal of introducing domestic CE.

14. GregB says:

My LBA – LHR in May has changed with no problems.

15. peter19 says:

Price discrepancies this morning showing on BA website following the changes last night . E / PE / J.
    Example fare of a 3 sector flight. UK Domestic/ US International/ US internal – one way i should add so not return.
    E: £1348
    PE: £ 750
    Biz: £1418

16. Rosalie says:

I have just checked two separate bookings made for June and December leaving Newcastle into Heathrow for onward long haul connections and they have both been changed to Club Europe. What makes it more special is these were avios redemption bookings using 2 4 1.

17. DougB says:

Just booked a couple of return CE flights from EDI to LHR in May and on the booking it advised that tier points / miles could not be shown but after it was booked I went into the account and it was showing a total of 1500 avios (silver) and 40 tier points for the return rather than the 80 I was hoping for…

• That may change. I doubt the system has been updated yet.

• DougB says:

nice one – thanks Rob

• joelyp says:

Doug,
          I did the same on a newly-booked £199 NCL-LHR return in May, 40 TP total (20 each leg). Noticed that only the front 3 rows on the NCL flights each way were CE.

• joelyp says:

Just off the phone to BAEC. Took them 15 mins to check, but all CE UK domestic bookings will accrue 40 TP each way, no matter what paid class. She agreed the system had yet to update.

18. xcalx says:

I had the 1215 LHR- LBA cancelled and re booked onto the same flight but my cancelled 0910 from MAD to LHR has been changed to 0820, leaving only 30 mins between my arriving MIA-MAD flight. The 0910 is still showing as available on BA for Avios bookings. Phoned IB says he will TRY to get me back on the 0910 and ring me back later.

19. Arnold Judas Rimmer says:

EDI-LHR portion of redemption booking in F to/from San Jose in November showing on ba.com as “Euro Traveller” – (although on first accessing this morning that flight was shown as “cancelled” in the summary box) while the LHR-EDI return portion is shown as “Club Europe”. Both segments on “my flights” still showing as “Economy”.

Presumably my F ticket will still enable access to the lounge at EDI. Flight is showing as a 767 – but since in the so-called “Club Europe” section they cannot “blank out” the middle of just two seats in the 2-3-2 layout then presumably the seating for most will just be the same anyway as for those in goat class down the back – so all “CE” gives you is the ghastly BA “breakfast”…

• Stu R says:

No, you don’t get access to the lounge for your domestic leg as it’s technically a ‘free’ segment and books only as economy. My boss and his wife were denied lounge access on a recent redemption in CW when they tried to access the lounge in GLA. Tell me if you know different ….

• I’ve always been able to get into the lounge at Glasgow when flying to Heathrow to take a CW redemption. The ticket has not always reflected this but the staff at the desk have always let me in. The same applies for priority boarding. It wouldn’t surprise me though if they’ve clamped down on this!

• I’ve always got into the Manchester lounge when connecting to a CE or CW flight. That may change now that the domestic connections themselves are separated into ET and CE.

• You are entitled to lounge access for connections to long haul CW and F tickets, but not to CE ones.

• You do get lounge access, the only scenario in which you dont is if the connecting CE flight is shorter than the domestic flight i.e. a GLA – LHR – CDG in CE wouldn’t get lounge access. Someone can correct me on this, or word it better.

But for long haul in CW or F you get lounge access on the domestic leg, always have the long haul boarding pass ready just in case.

All in accordance with the oneworld lounge access rules, which i am happy to show to lounge staff come the day i get refused entry!

• I don’t understand that, I’ve never been refused lounge access when on J or F flights From London connecting via Glasgow or Edinburgh. Gareth has covered the rules below, so you’re definitely entitled to lounge access on the domestic leg.

• wrong – lounge access is (or should be) provided – seems you came across a grumpy or illiterate dragon

just like your luggage would have been F allowance on same flight

• Gareth Oakley says:

I’ve never had a problem with lounge access on the domestic leg when doing First redemptions. Oneworld lounge access policy says it’s fine:

“First and Business Class customers connecting on the same day of travel, or before 6am the following day, can access the lounge when travelling between an international long haul (a oneworld international long haul flight is defined as an international flight marketed and operated by any oneworld carrier with a scheduled flight time longer than 5 hours) and an international short haul or domestic flight (and vice-versa).
      Lounge access will be determined on the international long haul ticketed flight (either First of Business Class) regardless of the ticketed class of travel on the international short haul or domestic flight.
      You must be prepared to show your boarding pass or itinerary showing travel in First or Business class on the international long haul flight, in order to access the lounge before your international short haul or domestic flight.”

I expect you won’t get catering on the Euro Traveller domestic leg though

20. Gareth Oakley says:

I now have a mix of Club Europe and Euro Traveller on the same 241 redemption? MAN-LHR is in Club World connecting to First to ATL, return a few weeks after inbound from Toronto in First is in Euro Traveller.

21. John W says:

All – there is something wrong with BA website for Domestic flight booking .

Just logged on and tried to book LHR to Newcastle . The Club Europe price up is £94 and economy is £307 !!! . Return journey the same . I guess this is because of the changes made last night ?

Tried other dates in April and it is the same !

22. Now I’m confused. My CE booking for April is now showing as CE on all legs. However my CW booking in August is showing ET on the domestic legs. The only reason I can think of is that the domestic sectors are the day before and the day after our CW flights, but who knows?

23. Kinkell says:

we have 3 trips booked. April is 241 CW to USA but domestic showing as economy. Paid CE to Tallinn in August, still domestic in economy. 241 CW trip next year to Caribbean, domestic showing as CE. Will need to phone….like everyone else. Bookings plastered with red putting the fear of God into me! Several alerts from My Flights, zilch from BA.

24. Chris says:

Any word yet on the tier point situation?

Our domestic legs on a CW return GLA-LHR-YUL have new seats now and state we are in CW, but the amount of tier points for the return journey still sits at 360.

No email yet from BA or myflights, but we are not going till June. I suppose they work with the soonest flights first.

25. It’s starting to look as though the connecting flight cabin has been allocated under the lounge access rules, e.g. my Man-Heathrow-Prague flights in April are all on the same day, all qualify for CE. However, connections to my CW flight to GCM later in the year are on different days to the long-haul segment (we’re flying Man-Heathrow the night before, then as the GCM-Heathrow is overnight, the connection is the following day).

That’s the only explanation that’s making any sense to me at the moment!

26. Margaret says:

Just checked and my seats have been moved to 2A and 2C on a LHR-EDI flight which is a connection from JFK on a Premium Economy flight. Does that give lounge access at Heathrow?

27. Thanks, needed a whole 20tp to retain silver and was looking at a JER return in ET. Managed to book a CW to EDI and returning ET for £170 which should more than give me the 20 tier points and has the benefit of repositioning me LHR – LGW one night too without a fuss on the coach/train…

28. Brian says:

The BA website says my rebooked flights are in Euro Traveller.

The BA app says they are n Club Europe.

No idea what’s going on!

29. Jame67 says:

Just off the phone with a BA supervisor who confirmed the following:

1. Free domestic connections on existing longhaul premium cabin redemptions have been allocated ET seats.

2, These can be upgraded to CE if we wish for 4500 aviis plus fees including £35 change fee (doubt many of us will pay that for an empty middle seat and some food. Remember lounge access is a OW benefit so unaffected).

• Peter Taysum says:

Given that BA have changed the rules, if you did want to upgrade could you not state that, and politely ask them to wave the £35?

• My domestic connections on redemptions (on 4 different flights) have been allocated CE and I was able to select my seats (oneworld sapphire status) in Rows 2 – 6.

Mind you there are 2-4-1 bookings so who knows what will actually happen, probably get put on a megabus.

• Jame67 says:

Odd, why would they transfer some donestic connection flight, which were all Y, to CE and others to ET? Were original donestic connection flights booked into different classes and if so, why? Mine were originally booked into X, what about yours?

• the real harry1 says:

couldn’t help but laugh @ this thread tbh – all these people getting their knickers in a twist over nothing much – I’m sure it will all be clearer in a couple of days

the IT bods have made the switch, there are a few teething issues – simples

• Jame67 says:

Harry, I’m a true Scot so you need not worry about my kniickers!

• the real harry1 says:

we had a couple of places up Kinlochbervie, Durness

• Jame67 says:

Wow, must have been an adventure getting up there.

• My domestic connections booked into U. Don’t underestimate how bad BA IT can be, they might be doing all this manually!

• Jame67 says:

Yes, this is what’s interesting, why some domestic connections originally got booked into U and mapped to CE while others were booked into X and mapped to ET. For Harrys benefit…curiosity killed the cat, I’m not much fussed so long as I can still use the lounge which is a OW benefit anyway.

30. Jame67 says:

It’s looking like front 5 rows only are being allocated to CE on domestic routes. I’m curious how this will be managed and developed (for both revenue and redemoption flights) on flights like late Friday or early Monday when they could almost fill the plane with CE.

31. I’m pretty sure this will have been run on booking class, maybe with a few separate rules thrown in, and as original class was based solely on inventory at the time of booking, this would explain the discrepancies you’ve found.

And James – a lot of flights with moveable curtains are set up with a default seat plan to begin with, but inventory is set up so it can sell in either cabin. The curtain can be moved any time up to and including the day of travel, so if it needs to be moved to row 10 on a Friday night it will be, and anyone with seats in 6-10 in that scenario will be moved back. This happens in Europe already.

32. OT :

4500 avios for subscription for Times Literary Supplement
    subscription costs 115 gbp so not a great value obviously if you dont need the magazine itself , but posting case could be useful for somebody

33. Justin says:

Find myself in the same situation a few other posters above.

Avios booking in First with domestic connections. Domestic leg currently showing Club Europe on the app, but Euro Traveller on the website. Spoke to BA but they’re going to call me back after they double check what their policy is.

• Justin says:

Update: BA phoned back to tell me they’re still not completely sure which cabin I should be in and will get back to me this afternoon. Confusing for everyone it would seem.

34. chris1922 says:

OK, so my GLA-LHR-BOS F redemption is in ET for the short hop to Heathrow. What are the chances of this being upgraded to CE if I put a call in to YouFirst ?
    Don’t fancy paying 18,000 Avios (2×2 legs)
    Do I definitely get lounge access in Glasgow ?

• Justin says:

From what I’ve read, you should get local lounge access for your connection regardless of cabin but I’ve been refused before and couldn’t be bothered arguing.

• For same day long haul premium cabin you’re fine for lounge access. It’s only the domestic connections for CE tickets that have issues.

35. Kenny says:

Seems like the system is still being updated as our flight shows latest flight information/ rebook on the app and cancelled on ba.com but when we click through on both we have allocated seats and looks like the booking is still valid with changes still showing as requiring a fee.

36. Steve Shaw says:

I can’t see a return domestic allocating 40TP each way, more like the Business UK 20TP.

37. Steve Shaw says:

From internal comms:

“The airline will automatically upgrade customers to Club Europe who have already booked in the top five economy fare classes (C, D, R, I and U), as well as those booked on a Business UK ticket (J and Y classes).”

38. Michael Jennings says:

Right, I have a return London to Edinburgh flight booked for November (Out from LHR and back to LCY). It’s the cheapest available fare, doesn’t connect to anything, and I have no status, so I am really not likely to be first in the queue for an upgrade.

If I go to the BA app on my phone, it shows my existing Euro traveller itinerary, and also shows a Club Europe itinerary on the same flights, which is shown as having been cancelled.

If I go to the BA website, it shows my existing Euro traveller itinerary, and also shows an additional Euro traveller itinerary on the same flights, which is shown as having been cancelled.

So, I guess there isn’t any problem – I am still booked on exactly what I was booked on yesterday – but also a bit of a mess.

39. Peter Taysum says:

Lovely that BA have chosen to contact us, and advise us what they are doing. Oh, yeah they haven’t bothered… Lovely of them to ask me to see if I’d like to upgrade any of my flights. Oh year…

My flights alerted me, and like the above red everywhere.

Online won’t allow me to upgrade (don’t know if system reset) may try calling later, but off to Iceland tomorrow, and busy getting organised for that.

Interestingly, I’m “Club Europe” tomorrow from NCL to LHR (according to the app) in 1A and 1B (!)

My connecting Club Europe flights seem to be going into Club Europe for NCL to LHR, but I’ve also suffered by booking flights with overnight stays in LON so will be Eurotraveller for those. It didn’t matter as (was) Gold so was in 1A; now need to reconsider…

I guess wait for the dust to settle…

40. gumshoe says:

My LHR-EDI-LHR booking in August appears to have been reticketed overnight. The BA website says both legs have been cancelled and I’ve been rebooked on to new flights (which are actually exactly the same).

The website also says I can cancel for a full refund (O class booking). Can I really, given that nothing has actually changed?

41. Peter says:

I think the app is knackered…..it’s showing my EDI-LHR on 31st March as Club Europe (connecting to F).

My LHR-EDI on return (connecting from CW) is showing as CE on the app, but ET on the web site. I believe the website.

42. What a shambles.
    On the BA.com website, my 6 return flights are shown as cancelled with alternative flights of the same time, flight number and seats, which I guess, I need to confirm.
    SURELY there must’ve been an easier way of doing this??

43. Derek says:

Definitely looks like there are lots of teething problems. I’m booked EDI-LHR-HKG though BAH with First on longhaul and J-Class domestics. Depending on where you look, some pages show my original seat of 6F and some say I’m now in CE 1A. If I try to move 1A to 2A, the website says it can’t be don’t and to contact the Service Centre. More curious, I’m traveling alone but on this flight says I have 2 seats reserved (presumably New and Old).

It appears remedial/ preparation work ahead of today hasn’t fully completed or worked. I’ve message BA on Twitter to have a look at it, rather than wait in long queues.

This will definitely be a moving picture!

44. trickster says:

Looks to me like this has put up the cost of a CE RFS booking from the regions.

Previously when looking at MAN > LHR > LIS it was coming out at Avios plus £255 each in CE.
    It’s now looking like £280.17 on the journey summary page, but then £300 when you click continue?!

• Huh, how are you getting £255 copay for BA shorthauls??

The RFS fee for CE is £25 per segment, or less if the actual taxes and fees are less.

BA doesn’t have carrier surcharges on short haul flights, so RFS fee should be £50. If you aren’t eligible for RFS, taxes are £26 and fees are £31.82.

45. My booking all looks fine. Domestic leg of my journey shows my seats allocated to row 2 in CE and I can’t check in on the connection anyway because it’s in WT+.

BA confirmed via a twitter message that I will have lounge access before my CE departures (subject, of course, to availability).

46. One other benefit is club europe baggage will now apply, so you get 2 pieces rather than one. The changes appear to be based on booking class..

Original booking class: J, C, D, R, I, U => Economy to Club Europe
    Original booking class: B, H, K, M, L, V, N, Q, O, S, G, X => Euro Traveller. It seems that the original sector might be cancelled and new one added.

Y class bookings will be converted to J and also be CE. Same with new sector.

On redemptions, U is CE and X is ET

47. Hi, sorry for the off topic question, how often do we see an Amex rewards –> Avios transfer bonus? I’d like to cancel my gold card as the anniversary is still 6 months away (for the 10k additional points), but wouldn’t wanna miss out on a potential transfer bonus deal.

Thanks!

• the real harry1 says:

short answer: never

• “these days”

They used to be very common – and BA still runs them outside the UK. As Amex has stopped doing ANY bonuses for UK members I get a feeling Amex may be behind this.

• the real harry1 says:

yep Jack used current tense

I reckon he could have used future tense as well & the answer will probably be the same

• Thank you guys, understood. I guess I’ll go ahead and transfer the points.

48. Darren says:

Avios redemption flights to/ from LHR-USA in Sept, travelling CW out and F back.

My connecting domestic flights from BHD are showing as cancelled and then added again as new flights BUT I’m still in ET on both new domestic bookings.

I’ll give it a few days to hopefully allow BA to get it all sorted and then contact BA if I haven’t been moved to CE.

• Darren says:

Just noticed… The app is showing CE… , But once you click through to the website (e.g. to select seat) it presents as ET.

• Why do you expect domestic CE?

ET would be correct assignation.

• Kinkell says:

Well, as someone who books business class redemptions with 241 vouchers, why would I want. Economy restricting me with luggage and benefits that I am trading. Avios for? All my previous redemptions with domestic connections to CW/ F long haul have included higher luggage,lounge access etc.. My forthcoming trip has us in ET, which is not what we booked, booked a year ago, there was only 2 choices:HBO or seat with checked bags. And, on our domestic and CW legs, the paperwork tells me I get 3 bags at 32 Kgs per pax.
        Disappointed with this,but I’ll get over it.

• I think there’s a slight misunderstanding here – if you’re on one ticket and have a CW or F flight then you’ll still get lounge access on your domestic flight (as per Oneworld rules) and you’ll still get the same baggage allowance as you had (standard rules – the higher CW/F allowance carries through for and from the connecting flight). Where the introduction of domestic CE will make a difference is when it comes to short-haul travel, where lounge access was a little more hit or miss (esp in London).

49. My HBO fare showed as CE this morning (EDI-LHR) and I was down the back.

50. Bryan says:

O/T – when you downgrade from a BAPP card to the standard BA card – do they do another credit check?
    I am trying to cycle BAPP and PRGC along with my partner – so just hit the spending target with my BAPP card and will need to wait another month before referring her to BAPP card as she is/ we are using up the 2k spend to trigger the bonus on her gold card. If there is no credit check I will downgrade, if there is a credit check then i will swallow the 16 pounds or so for another month of BAPP.

Do you think downgrading now, then cancelling I’m a month after i refer my partner is acceptable – or will i somehow annoy the Amex deity?

Thanks

• Downgrading counts as a new application, but Amex has only ever credit checked me once – when I applied for my first ever Amex 5 years ago. I’ve since opened about 10 Amexes and never been credit checked by them again.

• the real harry1 says:

unlikely to credit check you again – but possible

there’s no Amex deity – there are Amex employees whose KPIs include new sign-ups

51. douglas says:

It looks like avios economy seats have been switched to business in a big way, all the seats I can see avios availability from edi to lhr are in business (8seats on one flight) with zero in economy, whether or not this is a predictor of future availability who knows

52. Kinkell says:

Phoned CS to clarify all the red notices on my bookings. 1 booking using 241 CW long haul. Domestic in economy. She Stated this was the booking class made at the time. Given I had to phone up to get domestic connections added on, I was completely unaware, and given no option other than what the agent booked. I always thought that your connecting flights and benefits were equal to the highest class of cabin you travelled in..( and on through ticket) ..has always been the case on all previous 241s, and, is the case on a 241 we are booked in for next year( and the agent just did it …..I was none the wiser!).

Our CE trip to Tallinn has suffered the same……..still in eurotraveller from Inverness.
    Oh, and the App has us in CE for all domestics, but the agent says it’s wrong!
    Not the end of the world as BAEC Silver, but a bit miffed! Rather this than be downgraded on my long haul CW trip.

53. Andrew says:

It’s suddenly made an Easter trip to Scotland affordable.

Just the other day a return flight in economy was circa £600. Those £600 economy fares are still available, however, with the loading of the Club Europe fares you can choose to upgrade for £350 less.

• From London?

You would contemplate £600 from London to Edinburgh?

• Andrew says:

Yes, it is not unusual for there to be £600+ BA return fares between London & Edinburgh at peak times.

Would I contemplate it? It isn’t always my choice, work sometimes demands travel at short notice. For leisure, my diary is usually planned up to 12 months in advance to take advantage of keen fares.

54. Lewis Watson says:

Does this mean business UK no longer exists? Can I expect flights from Edinburgh in club to go up as first sector is now club rather than economy?

55. Looks like for now at least you can only book a CE, CW or F flight with a CE domestic connection. Good way for BA to force customers to part with even more avios & cash for not living near London.

• PaulW says:

Long all connections stil free surely, though probably not CE?

• PaulW says:

Or rather long haul 😉

• On redemptions they already charge extra taxes/fees on them, albeit no extra Avios – will be interesting to see if those go up or stay the same. For short-haul hopefully you’ll be able to mix classes as you wish to help with availability.

• They are very far from free (£)

Do you mean free from ‘avios’ alone?

56. Judge says:

I was quite excited about Club Europe starting for domestic connections, but I’m afraid it’s turned into a nightmare.

Cash CE tickets from the regions to the continent have become ludicrously expensive (e.g. more than double the ex-LHR fare), and 3-4 times the cash ET fare (e.g. Vienna ~£190 economy, ~£720 CE for dates later in year). I would be quite happy to revert to booking the domestics in ET and international on CE, but you can’t do mixed class cash bookings like this on the BA site (you can do it on redemptions though).

So it looks like I’ll no longer be making cash CE bookings, which I do a lot at present. Now it will be all cash economy bookings, or reward bookings (mixed class or all CE). If my cash bookings become no-service economy flights, I may as well change to other airlines that will often be more convenient from the regions (e.g. direct instead of connecting) and cheaper.

In effect this will be losing revenue for BA, not gaining as I presume they hope to do! Do they just want rid of us pesky regional customers altogether?

I understand they needed to do something with connections to premium cabins as a result of the change to short haul catering, but would it not have been easier just to keep Domestic as it was with a free drink and snack?? Or to give a cash or Avios credit to all premium-connecting passengers to allow them to purchase a drink and snack?

This whole short haul catering thing has been poorly thought through by Cheapo-Air Alex.

• You can probably do mixed class with a travel agent or on the phone with BA, though I appreciate that it probably won’t be worthwhile

• You forget BA have A LOT of corporate expense clients flying domestics, especially out of EDI (why do you think there are so many GGL etc based there) who pay silly £ regardless. They are the real target. Meanwhile the average Joe can do as they please, or be naive and pay up.

57. Chris says:

Now we’ll find out who has a generous travel policy if your employer will pay for J for a 30 min trip to MAN!

• I used to have ‘all J, everywhere’ in my City contract. The price is probably similar to a fully flexible Business Class rail ticket.

58. John Ritchie says:

Was checking in online for a BA RFS flight tomorrow ABZ-LHR, and saw some Oct flights I had booked had been cancelled. Phoned in, confirmed glitch in system, not cancelled. 10 mins later get text from BA saying tomorrow’s ABZ-LHR flight had been cancelled. Glitch again ? Phoned in nope really was cancelled. Accepted alternative flight leaving 2 hrs earlier. Unable to check in online for alt flight. 3rd call to BA. Have to check in at airport. After approx 1 hr on hold. BA are just awesome. Even though BA are getter me to LHR earlier does EU 261 still apply? Assuming reason for cancellation isn’t extraordinary.

59. On your last point Rob – is it possible to write a separate article on the Saturday night rule? It appears to be such a relic which only BA still applies. Or am I wrong?

• BA drops it when faced with competition. I imagine the Saturday night rule on long haul economy will soon go, given that Norwegian does not impose one.

• Good point re Norwegian! Many other airlines have dropped it long ago. Perhaps it’s still a cash cow for BA from business travellers flying midweek and paid for by their employer

60. Martin says:

Some discrepancies with it. I have a long haul redemption EDI-MIA back MCO-EDI, outbound in F and inbound in CW. My outbound domestic has now booked into CE but my inbound domestic is ET. We’re not flying till Sept but If it doesn’t rectify in a few days I’ll need to call them

• Which aspect exactly do you believe requires to be rectified?

For clarity, the domestics attached to an Avios long haul redemption ‘should’ be assigned as ET, so your outbound domestic is current erroneous (not that that should concern you, its BA’s error, nothing more)

• Well that depends on booking class of the domestic. On redemptions, U is CE and X is ET

• Yes, but that is now old skool. My point remains valid for flights on/after 1st April 2017. If you wish to disagree, I strongly suggest you converse with BA.

• Martin says:

If I book a business redemption tomorrow for travel after April 1st my domestic will book into CE (U) and my long haul into CW (U), why should t existing bookings do the same?

• Will it? Have you actually tested this?
          BA provide a ‘free’ (that is, free of Avios, not £) domestic connection to LH redemptions. Domestic will in future equate to ET as of 1st April.

• Martin says:

Yes I checked it last night before posting here

61. Derek Scott says:

Here’s what’s been emailed out to Travel Agents today:

“February 2017
    For travel from 1 April 2017, Club Europe will be introduced on all BA mainline and BA CityFlyer UK&I domestic services. We are also replacing UK Domestic with Euro Traveller as the economy cabin.

This change aligns our cabins across the shorthaul network and enables customers connecting to or from a longhaul destination to enjoy a consistent premium experience throughout their journey. Domestic customers will be able to benefit from lounge access, more personal space to work or relax, complimentary food and drink, dedicated check-in desks, priority boarding and a generous baggage allowance of two cabin bags and two checked bags.

The Club Europe cabin features a 2:2 configuration with the middle seat kept free. From 28 February, all UK&I domestic routes will start to show 2-cabin configuration, Club Europe and Euro Traveller. Once this conversion has taken place you will be able to see both cabins available to book in the schedule display.

Existing bookings on UK&I domestic services

The following changes have taken place for customers already ticketed on UK&I domestic services for travel from 1 April 2017:

Original booking class: J,C, D, R, I , U
    New booking class: No change
    Cabin change: Economy to Club Europe
    Changes to itinerary: No change
    Changes to seating: Reserved seating will remain as booked or an equivalent seat booked in Club Europe
    Changes to baggage: Now eligible to 2 pieces. Ticket will still show 1 piece but BAGA keyowrd will be updating to show 2PC.
    **********

Original booking class: Y
    New booking class: J
    Cabin change: Economy to Club Europe
    Changes to itinerary: Y sector will show UN status. J sector added as TK status

*************

Original booking class: B, H, K, M, L, V, N, Q, O, S, G, X
    New booking class: No change
    Cabin change: No change remains in Economy (Euro Traveller)
    Changes to itinerary: Original sector will show UN status. New TK sector added with the same booking class
    Changes to seating: Reserved seating will remain as booked or an equivalent seat booked in Euro Traveller
    Changes to baggage: Remains as 1 piece

**********

Emails or SMS messages have NOT been sent to customers but please reassure them that their flight is not cancelled – the status has been changed to enable our systems to disclose the correct cabin they are travelling in. We will automatically revalidate the BA-125 ticket for the affected sector(s). Other carrier’s tickets will need to be revalidated or reissued for the ticket to match the itinerary.

Reserved seating

Meal requests
    Please check if customers travelling in Club Europe have any advance meal requests.

Paid for excess baggage
    Club Europe customers may check-in two bags (max 32kgs each) Customers already ticketed in J, C, D, R, I or U classes will now be eligible to 2 pieces, although their ticket will still display 1 piece. The BAGA keyword should have been updated to show 2PC. Domestic customers now travelling in Club Europe who have already paid for an extra bag may have the one extra bag refunded.

Redemptions
    For new bookings for travel from 1 April, U class is now for Club Europe on all domestics with the applicable Avios to pay. Customers already booked in U class will be sat in Club Europe, no extra Avios charged. X class customers are booked in Euro Traveller.

Business UK fares
    These fares will no longer exist after 31 March 2017. All J class customers booked for travel from 1st April will now be seated in the Club Europe cabin (see table above) All Y class customers already booked for travel will be converted to J class and also seated in Club Europe. The Same ticketing terms and conditions apply, which match those for Club Europe Plus Flex fares

Voluntary changes – for customers booked to travel up to 31 March who want to change their departure date for travel from 1 April
    Commercial fare rules apply with any difference in fare and taxes paid by the customer. For J, C, D, R or I class, these will need to be re-booked into a comparable Economy booking class and the itinerary re-priced. If you rebook into the same class as original then these will be re-priced into a Club fare. Bookings originally made in U Redemption class will need to be re-quoted into X, otherwise if they continue to be booked in U the higher Avios amount for Club will need to be charged plus higher APD.

Read our ‘Club Europe available in the UK’ factsheet

• Very helpful to see what BA have sent out directly, Derek – thanks. Esp the bit about not informing pax (although this does seem a bit stupid on their part given the confusion it has caused!)

• Derek Scott says:

The only logical reason I can think of for not contacting customers direct, is to avoid the contact centres going into meltdown as emails or SMS messages land. By allowing customers to find out as they check their bookings online in the coming weeks, it spreads out the impact, when they have to deal with spikes in calls each round of strike announcements will be causing.

Crisis management, in effect!

• Haha possibly – I like your faith that they’ve actually thought about passengers 😉

62. Peter Taysum says:

From the regions it looks like NCL AMS on KLM or PAR on Air France is looking much more attractive; if I’ve got to change I prefer AMS (though prefer Heathrow lounges)…

Night

63. the real harry1 says:

BA is such a stealing cheat: ‘Reserved seating
    The Club Europe cabin is located at the front of the aircraft. Customers with seats already booked in the front rows who now have a cabin change into Euro Traveller will be allocated a seat further back in the aircraft. If the new seat is not suitable then any paid seating requests may be refunded and any free seating may be changed dependent on availability in the Euro Traveller cabin.’

So a passenger has paid to sit at the front but has an economy ticket. He gets moved down back but BA don’t give him an automatic refund of the seat booking fee? Only on request means BA is acting like a thief.

64. Justin says:

For my upcoming redemption flights, long haul in First with domestic connections (X fare bucket) which ended up in the new Euro Traveller cabin after these changes: spoke to BA and they have moved us into the Club Europe cabin for no extra Avios or APD (although there was the £35 change fee).

Seems you have to have to be a bit proactive though as if you were originally booked in X for your “free” domestic connection (back when it didn’t matter which fare bucket you were in), you won’t be moved automatically. I’m happy with my booking now.

• Kinkell says:

Personally, I think BA should be moving all their pax that are on connecting CW/F flights into CE automatically. not sure I want to part with £35 for complimentary G&T ! Status does get you a few perks which will do me, but I am narked about it!

• Justin – I’m on the phone with BA at the moment with exactly the same scenario as you. Domestic X class connecting to a First redemption.

Interestingly BA are refusing to do for me what they have done for you – instead they have charged me an additional 7500 avios to upgrade the domestic sectors into Club Europe (for me and companion on the Amex voucher). Worth noting no additional APD, no change fee.

Complete lack of consistency – this seems to have caught the call centres out by surprise.

• Justin says:

Wow that’s worrying! The agent I spoke to did explain they were struggling with the changes and did have to put me on hold for 10 minutes while she found out how to handle the request – she specifically said she was finding out if the change would require Avios or not and came back saying not. It’s a shame these bookings haven’t been updated automatically, which should have addressed the consistency issue.

There’s always the hang up and call back later option!

• Anon8 says:

I tried to do that yesterday and BA didn’t have a clue what I was talking about and didn’t even know about the introduction of CE on to domestics. As it is only one leg of my return journey this time I really can’t be bothered to change this but my travels later in the year I may consider changing for a £35 fee. I just wish they would work consistently – fat chance.

This is a copy of an email I received today:-

We are making some changes to the experience we’re offering on flights within the UK that will affect your upcoming booking with us.

From 1 April, we’re introducing our business cabin, Club Europe, and changing the economy cabin from UK Domestic to Euro Traveller to align with our short haul network.
      What this means for you
      Don’t worry, your flight will depart as planned but the name of your cabin will now show as ‘Euro Traveller’, e.g. on your boarding pass or signs at the airport.

All other elements of your journey will stay the same, such as your baggage allowance, free seating, M&S food options and, if you’re a Member of the Executive Club, your Avios and Tier Points.

We have already adjusted your booking and you can view it in Manage My Booking.

If you want to make any changes to seats you paid to reserve, please contact us; if you’d like a refund, please apply online.

If you have requested disability or mobility assistance, we will make sure your request remains unchanged in the system.

• So, you spent the £35 change fee for what exactly?

You would have lounge access before. So £35 for an empty seat beside you? Or for a drink onboard?

Am I missing something?

65. Artimus says:

I just spoke to BA (11:18am GMT) and was informed that due to my BAEC status, the domestic leg of redemption ticket will be upgraded FOC to CW (no change fee or Avios required) to match the long haul ticket class of First.

66. I had booked LCY-JFK in CW and then JFK-LHR in F as a redemption, including Domestic connections to/from MAN. The CW leg is U class and F is Z class, whereas the domestic connections were X class. Just checked MMB and as expected I’m in Euro Traveller for the MAN flights. Do you think there’s any hope of me calling BA and asking to be moved to CE? Presumably if I went to book the same redemption now, I’d automatically be in CE considering my onward class of travel, so it seems a little harsh!

• Justin says:

Yes – phone them and ask them to move you into Club Europe. Going by this thread, mixed reports and they may or may not charge a change fee but it worked for me.

• Kinkell says:

Right! I’m on it! I phoned yesterday and agent was having none of it! According to her I was staying in ET come what may.

67. chris1922 says:

Just to mix things up a bit, I’ve just called to move my long haul F redemption domestic shuttles to CE rather than ET, and was told it wasl possible, but additional taxes are due, cicra £88. No mention of avios or change fees. Sigh. No consistency what so ever.
    I’ll call again and try another agent I think.

68. UPDATE

Just had a call from BA Customer Services saying that in fact they were wrong to charge me 7500 avios to upgrade – this should have been done free of charge as the booking was made before these changes came into place.

So – if you have a domestic X class (redemption ticket) connection onto First / CW – you should get automatically upgraded in to CE for the domestic sectors with no additional avios, APD, or change fees.

Hope this helps!

• chris1922 says:

Glad you’re sorted Adam, but I’m not holding my breath for when I call back. I’m also an X, and an O fare class for my two shuttles to/from an F redemption.
      I’ll report back later.

• damian says:

I have redemption flights GLA-LHR connecting to Boston next day (first class) in July, retunr flight BOS-LHR (club) then LHR to GLA.

We have been upgraded to club europe on the return domestic leg, but still in euro traveller for the first leg GLA-LHR.

I called and was told that my flights were the same as booked, they offered to check for upgrade with avios but then said there was no availability.

Bit annoying as we would have been guaranteed lounge access in glasgow if in club europe. never mind – might try again in a few weeks.

Seems as though different people getting conflicting advice

• Artimus says:

When I called, the customer rep did say she can provide the upgrade so long as there is availability and in your case there is none. She explained that in some cases, the automatic upgrades based on class have taken up all the CE seats. I suggest trying close to departure when some travellers might reschedule.

• Kinkell says:

Sorted! Phoned again.CS agent stated that it is now a standard instruction to any bookings made
          prior to introduction of the changes, where pax. have ended up in ET with CW,/F connections, will be upgraded to CE for free provided there is availability . Just my luck, no availability on o/b domestic, but now OK for I/b.
          I think I am a reasonably well adjusted Scotswoman, but by golly, the tartan knickers were in a real twist over this. It was the principle involved. Hope it all works out for everyone else

• Damian says:

So after being told there was no availability in Club Europe on that flight I decided to try a new cash booking and found i WAS able to book 4 seats in club europe….

I remembered there is a dedicated first class customer support line and called them. What a breath of fresh air! Very pleasant gent on the phone completely understood the issue and sorted it all out for us. He was able to book us into club europe. Before he checked he was also able to reassure me that we would have had lounge access in Glasgow anyway even though our connection was the next day (as it was within 24 hrs).

Absolutely delighted (And i had almost given up!)

69. 2nd change of seats for same flight and again am grateful to my flights app as BA don’t give a toss what you think and certainly wont communicate changes to the passenger. Their attitude is typical of a bloated monopoly who knows its protected from competition and the rigours such competition brings. The UK populace, and especially this living outside the bubble of the southeast have been really badly served by what this carrier has been allowed to get away with and people do need to vote with the their feet.

70. PaulW says:

Any comment on what WTP connections should end up. Kids have connected to ET whilst our J has connected to CE. Not really a problem but know on a pod booking we had made at Xmas last year the connections were closed in J. I also have another’s J connection that has gone to ET that was from avios.com so may have hassle changing it, have lounge access anywhere but some consistency would be good!

71. Phoned up customer service yesterday to ask for upgrades to Club Europe on our domestic connecting flights to Club World on a 241 redemption, but was told that Club Europe was fully booked on our flights. Checked availability last night on the BA site: wide open for outbound; fully booked for inbound. So I phoned again this morning explaining the situation, and the rep happily upgraded us to CE on the outbound. Not bothered aboun the inbound because we’re in the arrivals lounge at LHR anyway. Just have to see how we go on with out 241 redemption at check in now.

• Kathy H says:

Having read about other readers managing to change their 2-4-1 Avios bookings from ET/CE gave it a try and BA will not change my booking without adcol of Avios/tax and change fee. Yet again the lack of consistency is frustrating and annoying.

72. My ticket from London Gatwick to Glasgow was automatically upgraded from Domestic to Club Europe. It turned into a farce. BA claimed it was an error and chose not to honour their mistake in their unapologetic style. I felt the need to write about about my sorry saga here:

73. Darren says:

Free Upgrade to CE secured!

I have a 241 redemption booked from Belfast to Chicago CW via LHR, and back F out of JFK in Sept. Domestic legs were in ET (as booked before CE seats announced)

Called exec club yesterday (Friday) to request free upgrade to CE on domestic transfers from BHD to LHR. Agent really didn’t understand the issue, but as I had mentioned ‘upgrade’ he put me through to reservations.

Reservations agent was helpful and confirmed that upgrade was possible and that CE seats were available on my connections. Then put me on hold to check costs etc and came back advising they would need to calculate taxes payable.

I advised of the ‘standard instruction’ as noted in Kinkell’s posting, and the refund mentioned by Adam (thanks to both!) and was then put on hold for c. 5 mins while they checked with someone, poss. supervisor.

Advisor Came back to advise the upgrade to CE was fine with no charges, taxes, or avios, and apologised for having got it wrong.

Only fly in ointment was that my First booking got cancelled and reinstated in the process so I had to remember to go back in an select my seats.

Thanks to all for your info.

• Kathy H says:

Great result Darren – as per my above post I also mentioned the standard instruction and the refund of avios to make a case for my U/G but no no avail.

74. Robbie says:

We (gold and silver) had two 241 redemptions with domestic legs booked some time ago – one done online in CW is showing as U in domestic legs; one booked by phone is U in CW but has come up as X in domestic legs. Call centre now saying that U redemptions should book into U domestic – but if prebooked is in X for whatever reason (manual booking), change fee will be charged. So charge is £70 for a gnt and blocked centre seats. Not good. Not generous. And worst of all not consistent…
    Have just switched away from BA Amex card since 241 vouchers are becoming too much trouble.

75. Has anyone confirmed how many tier point CE domestic flights earn?
    My booking LGW-GLA was offering cash upgrade for £70. I paid over the phone as it wasn’t working online, but now the booking is only showing 20 TP. I was expecting 40.

76. Ben Hill says:

Beware! The app has a glitch at present which is amending some standard Domestic bookings to Club Europe. I have flagged this with BA yet have been informed that it is I who is having trouble using the app!

• John m says:

My boarding pass for tomorrow is showing as Club Europe. Might try to get into the lounge in BHD in the strength of that

77. Touma says:

I have 241 flight redemptions from gatwick to Grenada CW with domestic connections via Edinburgh, my flights were, as others, cancelled and rebooked as ET domestic. As an avid reader of HFP I took the advice of others and phoned although no joy with the first agent I asked to speak to someone else for further feedback and explained some of the examples quoted, they put me on hold for a few minutes and then they checked availability and both outward and return domestic legs were upgraded to CE with no further ado , so thanks everyone for posting their experience.

78. Andrew says:

I am also having same issue with flights booked using 241 in September – connecting flights from Edinburgh and refusal to change unless I pay for an upgrade with Avios and a change in taxes price.
    Not having any joy despite asking the agent to check a couple of times.

I assume the only route now is to make a complaint to BA?

I have also just booked a domestic club flight and was expecting to see 40 tier points for it but the booking is showing 20 points – not sure if this is just a temporary situation.

79. I booked Heathrow to Dublin 9/3/17 for travel 13/3 Business Class using Reward Saver, confirmation came as Club Europe.

I was refused entry to the lounge only explanation ” ticket not valid ” Ironically as I was waiting for flight BA asked for feedback on my experiance in the lounge !

All others aspects: Fast Track, seating , service & food were matching Business Class.

I have complained to BA & await their response.