Bits: BA bacon roll news, 1200 Avios with My Little Pony, win a trip to LA with Hilton

News in brief:

Exciting British Airways bacon roll news

According to the latest newsletter sent to members of the British Airways ‘Future Lab’ survey panel, as a result of their feedback bacon rolls will soon be available in the Heathrow Galleries Club lounges until 11am.  The same goes for their vegetarian equivalent.

This is the most positive news to come out of British Airways for some time!

Slightly disturbingly, Future Lab reported that a “business case” had to be prepared in order to sanction an extra hour or so of bacon rolls, but luckily for us it was approved.

my little pony mane-iac mayhem

1,200 Avios with My Little Pony

Tesco Direct is running a good extra Clubcard points offer with My Little Pony.

You will get 500 Tesco Clubcard points (worth 1,200 Avios) when spending £30 on My Little Pony before 2nd April.

The list of available boxes is here. The Shopper Points article covering the deal is here.

The Boss Baby Hilton win trip to LA

Win a trip to L.A. with Hilton and The Boss Baby

Hilton and DreamWorks are running a competition giving away a family trip to L.A.

All you need to do is sign up for Hilton Honors (although I assume most HFP readers are already members) and fill out a form on the Hilton / The Boss Baby website – click ‘Go back to see the boss’.

The trailer, also on the entry page, has echoes of a horror movie to me but it is apparently a fun family film if you are looking for somewhere to take the kids this Easter!

Get up to 50,000 Avios when you open an ISA or SIPP via Nutmeg
Why Norwegian Reward is a more valuable scheme than it first appears

Comments

1. rams1981 says:

OT BA 2 for 1. My mum and dad with Bronze status were booked to go to KL last night. As bronze they were able to select seats a week in advance and check in on the day. I checked the flight yesterday afternoon and it was pretty full. Was worried they may have issues but my dad said they were fine. Phew. My Mrs and I go to KL in a few weeks and hope for similar success.

• Genghis says:

Checking out the BA seat map, it looks like we’re the only people in the F cabin coming back from KUL in just over a month’s time.

Where in Asia are you off to :rams1981?

• rams1981 says:

Fly to KL. then hop straight on to a flight to Sri Lanka where I’ll be for a week. Then to Vietnam via KL for 8 nights. Then end in Malaysia for a 5 nights. SL was added on and not originally my plan. We are from there and the Mrs wants to visit an aunt with her dad. Currently booked Hilton in Hanoi, Intercontinental in nha trang with points.

My parents have a place in KL so we save on hotels there and for parts of SL trip at least.

• Genghis says:

Sounds like a nice trip. If you’ve not been to Vietnam before, you’re in for a treat!

• The Original Nick. says:

rams1981, I was at the Hanoi Hilton Opera 2 weeks ago. Very friendly staff, and nice hotel. Was upgraded to a suite too.. Go to the lounge about 5.45 because it gets very busy so people have to sit outside by the desk and wait for a table.. The old quarter is 10 minutes walk.

• rams1981 says:

great tip, thanks @The Original Nick.

I was emailed soon after booking a link to request room upgrade to suite for free as I’m diamond so fingers crossed that comes off.

• James67 says:

CV3V recently been at IC Nha Trang so may have sone tips.

• I stayed at the IC Nha Trang in January, it’s a great hotel. Really helpful staff, great rooms and try the seafood buffet.

Also go to Lanterns restaurant, hotel can reserve a table, also Tan Cafe which is a hidden gem.

• For taxis stick to Vinasun, although they still might go the scenic route. I’m guessing Uber will be in Hanoi, if so that would be my preference. Uber in Saigon were great, arrive in seconds and no taxi ride was too short.

Have fun trying to cross the roads, after a few days you will be doing it like a local i.e. not even looking.

Also see if you can force a smile from the Vietnam immigration staff, I failed.

If your on Vietnam Airlines then enjoy the great old fashioned service.

• the real harry1 says:

my delightful colleague Veryan was an early adopter – went to Vietnam in 1996 – came back & said how good it was – I was tempted but never bit

• James67 says:

The problem is there are even fake vinasun cabs. Our tour guide showed us how to spot them but I don’r recall the details. For anybody needing a tour guide or car in Vietnam we had great service from levietnamcycletours, they are extensively reviewed on TA.

• rams1981 says:

thanks @CV3V, very helpful.

2. Dynamo says:

OT: Is the Cathay Lounge still the best option in terminal 3 for a BA business class passenger who also has a priority pass? Or have things advanced in the last couple of years at other lounges?

• the real harry1 says:

No1 traveller is pretty good but often crowded – very pleasant light & airy lounge with plenty of different little nooks etc, food good but limited to 1 freebie before you have to pay – plenty of salad etc for free, though. Club Aspire opened last year and is great but a bit dark & pokey IMV – good choice of booze incl Guinness & Peroni – food buffet style & unlimited, good stard.

Both reviewed on HFP

• Cathay – unless you want something a bit more ‘fun’. The Qantas lounge also looks good but not open until later in the year.

3. OT:
    1) Rookie error – Just booked MAD-BOG Iberia using Avios (32k Avios + £78) for the last reward seat for a week either side. Flight leaves at 12:10pm. There are no (sub £250) Iberia flights that would make it to MAD in time from London. Best course of action if I want to get my bags checked through from London to Bogota? BA have reward seats available on a flight to MAD that lands at 09:40, and I could book those on the Iberia website if that makes it more likely that baggage could be checked through? Any ideas?

I’m not sure any flight lands early enough in MAD (from London) to permit me to collect baggage and check-in to the 2nd flight with sufficient time..

• I’d be going the night before on that one….

• Genghis says:

+1. There are some cheap hotels around MAD

• Big problem/advantage of MAD flights is that you can’t get there for same-day connections on the outbound. The one hour time difference is the real killer – but also the big risk of fog at Heathrow, LCY etc.

BA won’t interline on separate tickets – so no protection if there are delays ex-LON and no through checking of baggage.

You do, of course, save UK air passenger duty by not having a through ticket – and that more than pays for a night in Madrid.

I would also look at Easyjet etc from LGW or Stansted. Cheap as chips.

Cheap hotels near the airport – and a great train service and metro into the centre of town, so well worth staying there. Not much slower than waiting for an airport hotel shuttle bus.

IB has a great lounge, so no need for breakfast at hotel. Being Spain, I don’t think they put breakfast out until about 9/10am!

• Got a night there en route from CNS to LIS via HKG and AMS in May (don’t ask!). Any recommendations for hotels handy for MAD airport but also sightseeing in Madrid would be appreciated.

• If you like art the Prado is a must but don’t try and do it all in one go! Or the Baroness Thyssen gallery if you prefer modern stuff (though it can’t compare to Velasquez and El Greco…)

• Thanks all. I think I will have to take the flight the night before and crash in an airport hotel.

Took CE LHR – LIS on Tuesday. Svc excellent inc. food (tall mug!). Irritating (lack of) service at the Elemis spa at LHR T3 lounge. Six first/biz passengers queued in line for 15 minutes waiting for the sole member of staff to return, when we were informed there was no availability for the next 3.5 hours anyway. If there’s no space fair enough, but just put up a sign saying so…

4. mycity says:

O/T sorry cant find this answer, im trying to use my Lloyds upgrade voucher to book a one way flight for two in Business, there’s no conections, but it wont let me it keeps asking for a return flight despite me clicking for two flights outbound, anyone had this issue?

• Genghis says:

Need to call to make a one way booking

• mycity says:

Thanks Genghis, ive just confirmed this with Avios, im sure a while back you could do it online, agent told me no issue over the phone

• Glad someone mentioned this as I was hoping to book outbound with avios.com plus Lloyds voucher then inbound on BAEC! Must now remember that I need the full amount of avios for both legs before my flights are released!

• I’m assuming avios offices aren’t open in the wee hours but correct me if I’m wrong.

• Klaus-Peter Dudas says:

Yep. Same. And ask not to pay the booking fee as you can’t book online. They didn’t charge me after initially saying I had to pay when I booked the same

• Yep, have to call for connecting/open jaw flights too – never been charged a fee.

5. Prins Polo says:

I used the new “secret door” in the new First Wing yesterday. Wow. Discussed with a few friends and we were all impressed. We unanimously agreed this is the only positive development involving BA in the last decade – among a myriad of “negative enhancements”…

6. OT – following on fromy’day article, when is the best time next year in 2018 to visit Japan for the cherry blossom season, would 15th-22nd APril 2018 be too late? Never been to Japan, so not sure how long to spend there?
    Was thinking of combining with PEK like Rob has, however, wasn’t sure if it was too cold in China that time of year?

• the real harry1 says:

Osaka (Osaka) 29-Mar 2017- 5-Apr 2017
      Hikone (Shiga) 4-Apr 2017- 9-Apr 2017
      Kyoto (Kyoto) 30-Mar 2017- 6-Apr 2017
      Kobe (Hyogo) 29-Mar 2017- 6-Apr 2017

• Genghis says:

Not sure how long to spend there? Depends what kind of things you want to do, experience etc. Japan is a fantastic country. China (much) less so IMO after our 3 week holiday there last year.

• Genghis says:

You’d catch Hanami on northern Honshu / Hokkaido.

• the real harry1 says:

isn’t that possibly like saying go up to Edinburgh in May to catch the daffodils, primroses & tulips?

• Genghis says:

It’s one place I regret not going while in Japan. Wild bears, quality onsen and walking.

• the real harry1 says:

well I regret not going to Shetland, must be lovely there, but you only live once 🙂

• James67 says:

Masses of Dafs around Dawyck gardens last week, looked fabulous in the snow…I kid you not!

7. O/T are there any virgin ISA deals going to be happening seeing as the new financial year is fast approaching?

• James67 says:

6000 to the end of April last time I checked. However, take care, last year it rose to 12000 a few months later so I’m holding back for a while.

• the real harry1 says:

same here

• I was thinking that it might increase also.. didn’t get a chance to do it last year but will definitely be keeping an eye open.

8. the real harry1 says:

that Boss Baby bears an uncanny similarity to you, Raffles

• Peter K says:

Nah, Raffles looks younger. Must be all the sleep he gets in 5* hotels

• That’s those cool new pix that Qatar Airways gave us for nothing from the photographer on their Business Travel Show stand this year (see ‘Contact Us’).