Earn TRIPLE Avios with Accor – at least 7.5 per €1 (but make sure you choose Iberia)

Last week we covered a triple miles promotion that Accor is running with Flying Blue and Miles & More.

An Avios version has now launched.  This allows you to earn triple Avios on every stay.

The stay period is generously long – up to 30th June.

There are two other positive points:

the last booking date is also 30th June, so the promo will still work on last minute stays, and

there is no minimum stay requirement

This promotion is running with both Iberia and British Airways Executive Club.  You should sign up to the Iberia version!

Accor Sweet Pillows

Why?  For historical reasons which predate Avios, Accor has a very generous deal with Iberia Plus.  Accor points convert at 1:1 into Iberia Plus Avios.  They only convert at 2:1 into British Airways Avios.  You will earn twice as many Avios by selecting Iberia rather than BA as your partner for this offer.

This is what you have to do:

Take a look at the promotion rules here

Change the settings on your Le Club AccorHotels account from earning points to earning miles

WARNING:  If you already have a pot of 3,000+ Accor points, they will be converted into Iberia Avios immediately.  If you want to save your existing points for a hotel discount voucher then do NOT take part in this promotion.

Select Iberia Plus as your preferred airline – NOT British Airways!  (You will obviously have to open an Iberia Plus account at iberia.com if you don’t have one.  New members of Iberia Plus must wait 90 days before they can transfer Avios across to British Airways or avios.com)

Book and stay before 30th June.  Existing bookings made before 27th March do not count and should be rebooked.

The ‘triple Avios’ is based on what you would earn as a ‘Classic’ base level member, ie 2.5 points per Euro.  This means that you would earn 7.5 Avios in Iberia Plus per €1 spent which is a very attractive rate.  Status members would earn even more.

(Note that the earning rate is lower at Ibis, Ibis Styles and Adagio.  You only earn 1 per €1.  At Adagio Access you earn 0.5 per €1.  This means that a ‘Classic’ member would be earning 3 Avios per €1.)

This deal could work out very nicely.  Let’s imagine that you are spending £500 at a Novotel for a week.  That would be €600 which would earn you 4,500 Avios in Iberia Plus.  A status member would do even better.

Everyone who earns bonus miles during this promotion will also be entered into a prize draw with the chance of winning 40,000 Avios.

Is this promotion better than taking Accor points?

You should be clear about what you are giving up when you take part.

Accor points are worth 2 Eurocents each.  You can convert them into €40 Accor vouchers whenever you reach 2,000.

Under this Avios offer, you will be receiving 3 Avios instead of earning 1 Accor point.  This means that you are buying Avios at 2/3rd of a Eurocent each, which I think is a very good deal.

It is also worth remembering that €40 of Accor hotel voucher is not worth as much as €40 in cash.  You also need a minimum of 2,000 Accor points before you can turn them into vouchers, whereas this Avios offer kicks in however few points you earn.  Unless you are Avios-rich and would prefer to take the Accor vouchers, I would go with Iberia.

Full details of the ‘Sweet Pillows World Tour’ offer can be found here.  Registration is not required.

Which hotel chains let me collect Avios points?
Bits: £1350 Etihad business to Asia, win a Caribbean holiday, Etihad 20% transfer bonus

Head for Points is sponsored by:

Magazine montage

Up to 30% off in Hilton's Winter Sale

Click here to find out more and book

Comments

1. Rashad says:

OT

I am 30TP short to reach BA GOLD, i have missed my club BA flight from OSL to LON, doing QR OSL to BKK and hence 40TP lost/short.

I have not called BA yet, but has anyone ever contacted them to say that they actually have paid for the missed flight and provide them with a reference number if needed, would they consider this or do I actually need to take flights? Have not got long till 8th of May though and everywhere is expensive to flight. This is the closest i have ever got to GOLD and dont want to miss this chance so any advise is appreciated,

• Peter Taysum says:

You can try – but you are supposed to actually “fly” and most schemes don’t accept if you haven’t taken the flight; but politely trying isn’t going to cost you anything more than the time of a phone call. Rob has noted that domestic flights for Club Europe are now going to earn 40 Tier Points – so you may find a “cheap” flight LHR to MAN or NCL etc that would give you the 40 Tier points you need in Club Europe. Good luck.

• If you didn’t fly due to a BA issue then you can apply for original routing credit (this happened to me when the JFK-LCY plane went tech, I flew JFK-LHR but still received the higher TPs that used to be available on the LCY route when I requested them). You can also normally get a two week grace period from BA where earnings in your new year count towards your old one. I’d call BAEC to confirm they will offer you this then make sure you fly by the end of that extended period.

• Rashad says:

Thank you both. I’d did not fly BA OSL- LHR due to Qatar flight was delayed about 5,5 hours in Doha due to torrential rain, so not BA fault at all. I’m really counting on that 2 week grace period, I have LAN club flight highlighted by Rob from Madrid to Frankfurt bagged it for £150 on AmEx £50 rebate on £200 spend.
        Anyone knows how to add BAEC number to the booking, LAN website is a bit shitty, can’t even add booking

• Have you tried Finnair website? Sometimes more functional for adding FF numbers than some other sites.

2. Peter K says:

O/T Just had an email saying that Virgin Atlantic is following the BA route of peak and off-peak redemptions.

• They did that a few months ago – not sure why they are telling people now!

• Robby says:

Off topic, can I pls check with those more knowledgeable that my churning strategy is right. I originally had BAPP, earned 2-4-1, referred my wife, cancelled my card, took out Amex gold, earned original spend bonus. My wife just got her 2-4-1 as well. Am I right thinking that I should now upgrade from Amex Gold to Amex Platinum after referring my wife to Amex Gold and cancelling her BAPP. Any comments appreciated.

• the real harry1 says:

there’s no ‘right’

• Genghis says:

Upgrade to plat then refer your wife for plat = 20+1+18+35+2= 76? But at more cost.

Vs refer wife for Amex gold then upgrade = 9+2+22+20+1=54

• Robby says:

Thanks Genghis. If I get the Amex Platinum, and give my wife a supplementary card, do we both qualify for the Hilton Gold card status. If she’s making stays without me, does she earn gold status through being a gold member?

• Yes, you both get a free Gold.

• xcalx says:

Also add 5K for applying for sup card.

we just got 18 plus 35 plus 2 plus 5 = 60

• I replied to their email asking why they are penalising me for having children. It’s been logged into their CS database with a ticket number. Awaiting the humoured response.

3. richard says:

Rob
    I would just add, the auto-convert to Iberia will kick in for amounts under 3k (don’t know the threshold sorry). It just converted around 2500 when I turned it on.

4. O/T just got the upgrade to amex plat, how do you activate the hotel status? i.e. hilton gold? both for me and supp card holder?