BA Sale

Bits: Amex Gold / Plat £15 Amazon discount still works, what happened to BA’s LCY-JFK A318?

News in brief:

£15 Amazon discount code still working

Amazon is still offering a £15 discount Amex Gold and Platinum cardholders.  This deal is meant to run until 31st October.

This offer is a promotion to encourage you to link your Membership Rewards account to your Amazon account, with the option of using your points to pay for Amazon purchases.

You can save £15 on your next Amazon order of £25 or more as long as you part-pay with Membership Rewards points.  This is what to do:

If you have not already done so, link your Membership Rewards account with your Amazon account by visiting this page on the Amazon website

Buy £25 of items on amazon.co.uk (these must all be sold by Amazon and not third party merchants, and excludes digital content, including digital gift cards.  A product with is ‘fulfilled by Amazon’ but sold by a third party will not count – it must be ‘sold and fulfilled’ by them.)

Enter code AMEX16SWP at check out

You MUST select your Membership Rewards-earning Amex card as your payment card (you cannot use gift cards or any other payment source)

Part-pay for your order using Membership Rewards points.  The sneaky option is to redeem just 2 points for a 1p discount.  This saves you ‘wasting’ MR points on a low value redemption.  You will only get 0.45p per point and you shouldn’t waste more than 2 of your valuable points on such a poor deal!

This offer is limited to one £15 discount per Membership Rewards account, so if you took advantage of the deal over Christmas then you can’t do it again.

The Amazon link above (and here) pays HFP a small commission if you use it – consider your 2017 HFP sub paid!

Amazon

What happened to the British Airways A318 that flew London City to JFK?

British Airways dropped one of the two London City to New York JFK services last year.

You may have been wondering what happened to the aircraft.  Readers of a sensitive nature may want to look away now.

The plane has been leased to charter company Titan from the end of May.  This is their marketing leaflet – click to enlarge:

Titan A318 ex British Airways City Airport

If you need an A318 with 32 fully flat seats for the weekend, you know where to go.

That isn’t the whole story, however.  After two years, Titan will have the option to buy the aircraft from BA.  In the medium term Titan intends to convert it into an ‘all economy’ aircraft but this article implies that the original configuration could be reinstalled if, say, someone wanted it for a global music tour.

Good deal: Virgin credit card bonus now 10,000 (White) and 25,000 (Black) miles
BA wi-fi pricing revealed as in-flight trials begin

BA Sale

Comments

1. mark2 says:

Re the Amazon offer.
    I just checked my email addresses and found another raely used Amazon account so 2 X £15.
    It does not work with supplementary cards.

2. Dave H says:

O/T flew out of Standsted on Sunday on one of the CityFlyer flights, there were a grand total of 18 passengers. When I booked, due to the flight times and the same seat throughout the aircraft, seemed pointless to go for Club Europe. I had booked seats in row 8 but was moved to row 13, turned out the curtain was back to row 10 although there were only 4 pax in the club section! We had two CSMs looking after us and we were served breakfast which was quite good, with a melon selection, yoghurt, juice and water, coffee or tea and a hot panini

3. Solar says:

Last summer on a golf trip to Spain, the Jet2 737 from Manchester was replaced with a Titan A320. It was brand new, and the onboard service was really excellent. It was a very comfortable place to spend a few hours to ALC.

• TimS says:

Titan offer a decent quality product, but my god they charge top dollar for it!

However, if you need a plane at short notice and have the money to pay for it they would be towards the top of my list of go-to operators in the UK! The last time i looked into it i seem to recall they offered a guarantee of under 2 hours from order confirmation to wheels turning. All crew had to be based within 30 mins of their STN office on rostered standby days i think.

• The_real_a says:

Tim any idea how much a charter 737 is just out of curiosity?

• Stuart F says:

How long is a piece of string. It’s not a simple matter of cost per hour, it matters where you want to start from and go to. If neither are the operator’s home base then you’ll also pay for positioning legs to get the aircraft to you and/or back home.

Then factor in that airlines will not be interested in dealing with you as a 1-off charter, there’s just too much risk, they will want you to go through a broker who will assume the risk and, of course, take their cut.

As a guide I was quoted £25k to fly 80 pax from North Scotland (not the home base) to England (not the home base), a touch over £300 per passenger but that was having to pay for 2 empty positioning legs but at a time I chose and it was just a one way. A return would no-doubt be much more economic as you’d get 2 useful legs while still paying for the 2 useless (to you) positioning legs.

• TimS says:

As Stuart says, it really depends on lots of factors.

One-offs would be done via brokers.

Charter prices are driven by the age of the aircraft, the location of the operator, the route (and whether it is one way or a round trip), the availability of fuel & its price at each airport, landing/airport charges, parking charges (especially if a round trip is required), seating config & service level requested, hot/cold/no refreshments etc all play a part.

Key factors would be availability (both of the aircraft & of slot pairs) and the amount of notice given for the charter.

Someone like Small Planet (Polish/Lithuanian operator) would be a lot cheaper than someone like Titan (Uk operator) for example

• Nick says:

Solar, could you confirm which Titan plane you flew on and how you knew it was ‘brand new’? They only have two A320s, one built in 2005 (via Air Deccan and Sri Lankan) and the other in 2011 (via Silkair). If you have any info that counters that already in the public domain can you please share it with us?

• Solar probably means brand new to Titan.

As it was replacing a Jet2 aircraft, it was probably actually their white-tail A321 (rather than a 320), which only joined Titan’s fleet in March 2016 (acquired from Niki).

It would have appeared “brand new” as Titan will have renovated it prior to re-entering service. Sometimes people also assume white-tails are brand new & awaiting first livery, rather than re-painted acquisitions.

• Solar says:

Yes you are right, it was probably new to Titan. The interior was certainly new.
          I fly a lot on these types of short-haul and usually search the details of the aircraft out of curiosity.
          I flew on a Ryanair brand-new 737 (delivered the week prior) and my god the seats were uncomfortable. I had a numb backside on the 50 minute flight from NCL to DUB!
          I’d hate to think it was used for somewhere like the Canary Islands!

4. rams1981 says:

OT @genghis

Cancelling plat Amex. I’ve just transferred the points out. Do I need to wait for them to hit destination accounts (SPG and Nectar) before cancelling?

• Alan says:

Based on the experience Liz had in a similar situation I’d definitely wait until they hit before cancelling – for the sake of a couple of quid in extra fees I’d feel happier they had made it across to the destination account!

• Genghis says:

Agreed. I’ve always waited for points to hit the account before cancelling.

5. rams1981 says:

Agreed thanks guys

6. Genghis says:

Where’s your referral link? 🙂

• the real harry1 says:

is there one on it? not mine, I hasten to add – just saw it when looking for something else (football schedule, I think)

if there is a campaign link there, looks like they would do a deal with HFP as well, then

• the real harry1 says:

sad thing is: I still can’t get value out of 10 visits @ £11.50

I can’t get guests in on a ‘free’ pass. I don’t need a lounge coming back from our place in the sun – the airport is great and the lounges are dark, empty & unwelcoming – plus I can’t imbibe a few as I’ll be driving LHR—> Cornwall.

So max I can get out of it with 5 hols a year to Europe is 5 decent lounge visits in London

if only the 10 visits were transferable (same as DP), I’d be up for it like a rat in a drainpipe 🙂

actually we’d get 2 of them per annum minimum

7. the real harry1 says:

Looks like everybody got the ‘Amex Gold / Plat £15 Amazon discount’ back in January apart from Mark2 🙂

I got it 4x – same card works on all Amazon a/cs, as you say, supps can’t get it

• Amit says:

How long does the amazon account have to be open? Used mine already on the one account I have

• mark2 says:

Have got it now thanks (via Rob’s link) on two Amazon accounts. Must open a couple for the wife ready for next year.
      The downside is that only one account is Prime so carriage to be paid.
      Also many things that I buy on Amazon are actually sold by others.

• the real harry1 says:

try out a free month of Prime then cancel – all easy, takes seconds online – can be done once a year per a/c

8. Shaun says:

I keep trying to buy an assortment of goods on AMZN however it refuses to take my code, says “the promotional code you entered cannot be applied to your purchase”

Any advice?

• Alan says:

Have you made sure that all products are definitely sold by Amazon and not just distributed by them?

• You may find that the code has actually been applied even though it says not – someone else had this issue yesterday.

9. Hi

I have spent almost £10,000 on my free BA Amex card but I do not expect to reach £20,000 so I was considering upgrading to the paid card. Will the amount I have spent still count with the upgrade or will it start again?

thanks

10. Lucas says:

Did anybody use successfully the code? I tried with few products shipped and supplied by Amazon and no luck…

• Yes, it is still working OK. I’ve had messages from readers confirming it and, of course, it is still being heavily advertised on the Amazon website on the page I link to.

• Did you apply the £0.01 of membership reward points first before applying the discount code? That caught me out for a while, but then I tried the MR first and it worked.