It’s back – the only FREE and fast Avios reward finding tool you need!

Those of you with long memories may remember the short lived “Avios Flight Finder” app.  This was an official app from Avios Group which was meant to be a quick way of checking reward seats on British Airways flights.  The problem was that it used cached data, and the results it showed were not accurate.  It was eventually withdrawn.

Smartphones were less common at that point (2014) so Head for Points reader Tim created “BA Redemption Finder”.  This sat at www.baredemptionfinder.com and was a desktop site.  It used the same data feed that Avios was using for its app, so it suffered from the same issues over accuracy.  However, it was lightning fast.

When “Avios Flight Finder” was withdrawn, Tim’s site died as well.

Now it’s back, using the BA app data feed.  “BA Redemption Finder” is, easily, the quickest way of checking Avios availability for British Airways flights.

The best bit is the site is free.  It is a website not an app, but is optimised for both mobile and desktop.

It is simplicity itself.  Type in where you want to fly from, where you want to fly to, how many seats and what cabin and you will see – instantly – full availability for the next 355 days.  On mobile it looks like this:

BA Redemption Finder

Here are some results for two Club World seats from Heathrow to Tokyo – on the actual site, you get the full year on one scrolling screen.  The left column is outbound, the right is return:

BA Redemption Finder 1

and

BA Redemption Finder 2

It gets even better.  You can set up email alerts.   Set a date range, route, class and number of passengers and you will be notified when seats become available!

There are a few issues with the site, but none are major:

It cannot handle connections, only direct point to point searches

It does not show oneworld partner airlines – so it is best used to check availability when you want to use an Amex 2-4-1 voucher.  If you are not using a 2-4-1 voucher you should use ba.com instead as it will show you Qatar, Finnair, Royal Jordanian, American etc as well.

There is still a slight delay on the data feed, but very modest – Tim said no more than an hour

It does not show the extra economy Avios seats made available to BA Gold members

These are mainly trivial points, however, in the context of what is an amazingly fast and usable site.  It will take a while for me to be certain how accurate it is, but on the few checks I’ve done so far it has been fine.

You can take a look at BA Redemption Finder here.

The site is totally free to use.  Tim is happy to accept voluntarily monthly donations, and in return your availability queries will be checked hourly instead of daily – increasing the chances that you can grab any seats which open up.

LAST CALL: Get 15,000 American Airlines miles with the MBNA Visa card
Important dates for your diary - offers about to close which you shouldn't miss

Comments

1. Slightly OT,

Does the BA CW availability on BA.com differ from that on Avios.com? I’m late to the party with the Lloyds avios rewards cards, but have used BA for quite a while. A colleague with both has commented that this may be the case.

• No, it is the same. There used to be a difference a few years ago but for the last 3 years or so it is the same.

2. Jas Gill says:

O/T

A massive thanks to Rob and all those who contribute regularly to this site; it has helped me immensely to exploit all avenues of earning points.

I am writing this while on a lounger at the Domes of Elounda. The week long stay has been made possible through the knowledge gained from HfP. We received an upgrade to a stunning 2 bed villa, and all associated benefits, as Marriott Gold members. The seven night Marriott travel package must be one of the sweetest redemptions possible.

Once again, many thanks all from a very contented Gill family.

3. What a great support system.

Almost perfect, just needs to add a way to find one way or open jaw trips.

Thank you so far though, keep it up.

• Yes. How to just do one way trips?

• Tim Rogers says:

Thanks so much for your kind words Kevin – great that you like the tool. I’ll be looking at adding better support for one-way and open-jaw trips soon.

• Yes a great piece of work – used it this morning. Almost life changing! 🙂 Many Thanks.

• Easy to “work around” this. Just put in two trips – one a return to /from the airport of your arrival and the second to / from the airport of your return. I did this this morning for a trip to Delhi, returning form Mumbai and have monitors on both.

• Exactly my route for early next year!

I’m a bit late to this thread, but if you’re still reading Tim:
        I’m looking for F to open up for the outbound, but I specifically want BA0257, and I keep seeing availability on the other flight (BA0187?). What are the chances of being able to set alerts for a specific flight if there are more than one per day?

4. Joseph Heenan says:

OT: On my amex gold I seem to be getting an extra 1 MR per pound when I spend at easyjet, described as ‘Preferred Rewards Gold Airline Bonus’. I can’t find this documented anywhere via google searches; anyone know if it applies to all airlines, is it a permanent offer? If I’d been aware of it I’d have put more airline spend onto this card!

• Natalia S says:

it’s for all airlines.

These are T&Cs:
      “one additional point for virtually every full £1 spent and charged per transaction directly with airlines over the phone or online via their official website or affiliated mobile apps (only transactions made directly with the airline will be included for bonus Membership Rewards points, including but not limited to flights, car hire, package holidays and insurance. Bookings made with other travel agents, comparison sites and affiliates will not be included for bonusing)”

• So frustrating the more expensive Plat card doesn’t have any MRs for this 🙁

• Airline spend earns an extra 1 point per £1, it applies to all airlines.

5. OT, I have just applied for a free BA Amex card and am awaiting for the decision. If I were to upgrade to the Premium paid BA Amex card, will I get the extra bonus ie, 25,000 avios instead of 5,000 or is it too late to upgrade and get the bonus for the premium card as I have already started the application process?

• If you ring Amex they will say No, you can’t, because you have probably already been accepted (they just haven’t told you yet) and so you technically have a BA card and so technically need to cancel the free one and wait 6 months. Whether this would work out in practice I don’t know but that is what they tell people when this happens.

• If you have just done it in the last day or it might not have yet got to the processing point. We halted a downgrade for my daughter recently by calling up, and put a delay on it. We needed the BAPP insurance cover for a trip. So l would call them ASAP and see where the application is. Definitely worth a call. Shame to miss out on the higher bonus.

• Genghis says:

What benefits of the BAPP travel insurance were you relying on? From memory it’s v limited.

• We had booked the kids flights on BAPP, so wanted to keep,the card until their trip finished. Covers l think missed connections etc..bags. Agree,mitsnnotmgreat but was enough cover for them. Now dropped down to BACC anyway until it’s time for my referral to BAPP.

6. hotaeke says:

OT: Do you get free breakfast through Hilton Gold on the Conrad St James in London?

• Yes, Waldorf Astoria doesn’t give free brekky but Conrad does.

• hotaeke says:

Thanks for taking the time to reply, Rob, To top it off, can you ask for a room upgrade when enjoying a reward night (through Hilton Visa £750 spend)?

• Axel Heyst says:

Yes, once you’ve made the booking and it’s on your hilton reservations account you will probably an upgrade offer that is slightly better that what is available to the general public.

I’ve done it on a reward night booking at Park Lane

• We liked the Park Lane very much even though the exec lounge needs a bit of TLC. We were at the Conrad a few weeks ago and we’ve stayed at better travelodges….

• Brilliant Cate! LOL

• I used 2 x vouchers for Conrad St James (his and hers) back to back with a paid night (and a £50 off £150 Amex offer or something).

I know London, used to live near in Pimlico and asked for an upgrade. Nothing free but we got a suite (could have been a large junior) with separate living room and a bed for junior plus Exec lounge and (importantly) full breakfast on all 3 days for only 2 nights of upgrade at about £60 or so each night ?

As breakfast for one would have run half of that and we made good use of the Exec lounge it was a steal.

I’d pick up the phone and call them to be honest, followed by an email.

7. OT – does anyone know how much 33,000 IHG Rewards points is worth. I’m trying to figure out if its worth me hitting my Accelerate target with a one night stay at a hotel which will cost be around £85.00.

• I’d say that is worth it. Just did a stay for £45 to hit my accelerate bonus.
      Depends how you spend them though.

• Genghis says:

0.4p min so say £132. I’d be looking at £80 mattress run to make it worth your while.

• Peter K says:

Is agree that it depends on how you spend them. You’ll get back 0.25-0.4p per point back. So at worst you’ll break even at £85.

• Thanks for replies. If I have the following Accelerator challenges, do they stack?
        I have stay once, get 1000 points, Book Bonus Points package, get 3600 points, spend $39 on food and beverage, get 900 points. I get my overall bonus of 25,000 for completing four of five challenges, of which I already have one with the sign up for the IHG credit card.
        So I was thinking that if i stay one night booked on Bonus Points package rate and eat in the restaurant in the evening to said value, that should count as 3 challenges ticked off from one stay and the larger bonus should be achieved. . Am I correct in the way I’m thinking?

• Genghis says:

Yes. But bear in mind the $39 F&B is excl. VAT and at a rubbish internal exchange rate. Perhaps expect to spend close to £40 (allowing for VAT and a 10% difference in exchange rate to current spot).

• I think you should work it out based on what you could redeem for. With 30000 points you could get 3 nights in a 10000 point hotel. If there is a 10K hotel you need to stay at, it doesn’t matter what the paid rates are, you have basically bought 3 nights there for £85.

2 nights at a 15000 point hotel is also good, 1.5 nights at a 20K point hotel is starting to push it for me. If you only want to redeem for 30K+ hotels then you need to work out how much you value your time, and whether those hotels are really worth that much, and whether you think the mattress run itself has any value (e.g. If you would really have paid £25 for themattress run, then the points are actually only costing you £60)

8. OT:
    Has anyone successfully managed to get a payment card from Scottish power to use at the coop? I hate not being able to use amex for any bill.

9. Just to add that if you do sign up to the elite version you can run multiple queries at once, in case you’re keeping your eye on various routes.

• Tim Rogers says:

You can run multiple queries with the free version too actually – but I really appreciate the financial support of taking the elite membership, and in return, you’ll get alerts up to once an hour so you’ll be ahead of the crowd!

• I seem to recall it was your site which helped me snag 2 x First to KUL when BA (re)launched the route.

10. Does anyone know of a iberia redemptions free tool ?

• Tim Rogers says:

I’m not aware of anything similar for Iberia – but in due course I’ll look at adding support to this tool.

11. This is good.
    Where does it get the data? I want to build something similar for travel inspiration.

12. Jonathan Martin says:

Excellent news – I’ve signed up for £3 a month. About the price of a fancy coffee in my local Costa – yet the pleasure I’ll get from this site is far greater 🙂

• Tim Rogers says:

Thanks so much for your support Jonathan – it means a lot and helps to guarantee the future of the site.

13. Great site. Well done to Tim 🙂

Does anyone know how to find out where BA fly first class. Need to use a 2 for 1 voucher and first would be better than business.

• Tim Rogers says:

Hi Lee! Thanks so much for your appreciate of the site – the best thing about running this is all the stories I hear about how it’s helped someone find their dream trip.

I’m not sure of an official list of routes on which First is available – I’d love to see it if anyone knows about it, as at the moment I’m having to deal with the error BA gives me back when I try to search on a route which lacks First.

14. the real harry1 says:

Tim Rogers – if I may be so bold to ask – how did you get the feed? & a word about your background in acquiring the skills needed to put this together would also be fascinating

thanks

• the real harry1 says:

btw about half-way thru 1984 (Orwell) but nothing sinister in my question

• Tim Rogers says:

Hi there! Good question.

As some eagle-eyed HFP readers have noticed, the data is the data that’s used in BA’s Flight Finder, both in the app on iOS and Android, and on the website. But my version works much, much faster, and email alerts make it more useful and save returning to the BA site many times a day to check for new seats.

I’m a software engineer by trade, and this is just a spare time project I’ve been working on to help the HFP community and hopefully make our shared hobby that little bit easier!

15. Richard Thomas says:

Great work Tim, I have signed up to the monthly contribution in the hope it will help you with costs of future enhancements.

• Tim Rogers says:

Thanks so much Richard – I really appreciate it! Do just let me know if you ever have any ideas, questions or comments – I’m always looking to make the site even better,

16. Al Nicol says:

Well done TIm, always great to see new travel tools. The data seems the same as at BA’s ‘Flight Finder’ on their website (which also gives full year availability). Is the email alert the cool feature here, or is the data more accurate/faster?

• Tim Rogers says:

Hi Al! Glad you like the tool, and hope it proves useful for you.

The data does match up with BA’s Flight Finder tool on their website. For one, it’s a lot faster (95% of searches are done within half a second, whereas the BA site seems to usually take 5-10 seconds), but the real secret sauce is the alerts, which are a big improvement on having to religiously check the BA site.

If you have any questions or ideas, do just drop me an email at [email protected].

• Hi Tim, we tend to be more date than destination driven, due to school holidays etc. Could it therefore be feasible to have the ability to input dates (and class) to see what destinations come up..?

• Tim Rogers says:

A few people have asked about this, so looking into it is definitely on my to-do list! Watch this space.

17. Great tool Tim but is this a quirk ?

LHR-SYD requires by necessity a change in SIN these days but your tool shows availability for X dates which isn’t there.

Ok, so I read the piece about it not handling connections but which piece of the LHR-SIN or SIN-SYD is giving the “false” positive ?

So I check LHR-SIN and that isn’t available. Then I check SIN-SYD and that isn’t available either.

So neither of the legs on the dates where the tool shows availability are actually available for redemption. Cash fares are available.

I was looking at first class.

Any thoughts ?

• Tim Rogers says:

Glad you like the tool! I’ve added it to my to-do list to look into this. I’ll get back to you once I know more.

• Tim Rogers says:

I’ve taken a look and can see that these results look a bit questionable.

The results I get back are supposedly for the whole route, and aren’t split up into LON-SIN and SIN-SYD.

I’ve taken a look at 25th December outbound and 25th January inbound in Business, and that example seems to genuinely be available. Can you give an example of a date, number of people and cabin where it seems to be wrong? That way, I can ask BA about the specific issue. Might be best if you email me at [email protected].

• What WOULD be interesting is if you reversed the process, which is something the BA app can’t do.

Eg …. where I can get 2 Club World seats departing on 14th February?

Would be very helpful around school holiday periods.

18. Dave Barron says:

Useful and simple to use tool – well done Tim.

Now what’s the chances of something similar for Virgin Atlantic redemptions?!?

19. 1nfrequent says:

Really pleased to see this site back again – used it when it was first up and I found it very useful. Best of luck with it, Tim.

1F

20. Ronster says:

Good evening Tim.

Can you consider adding an avios availability search, for other oneworld carriers to your program?

I would also love to see an option, to base searches on a specific aircraft.For example when BA run 2 different planes on the same route.

Thanks