500-1000 bonus Avios or Amex points with £25 amazon.co.uk gift card purchase!

A fantastic new Amazon offer has been launched by American Express.  It is available for many – but not all – British Airways American Express, Amex Gold and Amex Platinum cardholders.

You will find this offer on the ‘Offers’ tab of your British Airways American Express / Amex Gold / Amex Platinum statement page online, or in the app.

Amazon

There are a few versions.  You will hopefully see some combination of:

Get 500 / 1,000 Avios / Membership Rewards points when you spend £25 at amazon.co.uk before 17th September using your BA Amex / Amex Gold / Platinum card

It isn’t clear who gets what and you may have got nothing if you are very unlucky.

It is limited to the first 30,000 people to register so I recommend you sign up immediately, although the limit does not seem to have been reached yet.  You have until 17th September to make a purchase and have it post to your Amex account.

There was some confusion over the wording of the offer.  It says “purchases made with Market Place Sellers, Amazon Prime or subscriptions to Amazon Prime” do not count.  Secondary terms and conditions also implied that gift cards would not count, even though American Express has no idea what you bought.

I did a test purchase on my own Amazon account for a £25 gift card.  I AM an Amazon Prime customer.  Within 2 minutes of making the purchase I got an email from American Express saying “Congratulations, you have earned 500 bonus Avios – if your transaction meets the offer terms”.

The 500 bonus Avios have now posted to my account.  See below (click to enlarge):

Amex Amazon screenshot

I have also repeated the process on my wife’s non-Prime account with the same result.

This means:

gift card purchases do count

even Amazon Prime customers still earn the bonus on gift cards

This offer should be a no-brainer for qualifying BA Amex / Amex Gold / Amex Platinum cardholders, especially if you have the 1,000 points version.  £25 is a ludicrously low purchase limit for earning 1,000 Avios or Membership Rewards points.

As I found, purchases of Amazon e-gift cards count.  These can be bought online via this link and added to your personal Amazon account via this page.  The balance is used automatically on your next purchase.

You obviously don’t need to purchase a gift card if you have a £25+ purchase you need to make.  However, to avoid any issues with ‘Market Place sellers’ and the like, the voucher seems the easiest way to go.

If you making a purchase at Amazon, we are always grateful if you use our HFP Amazon link which is here (click) or use the gift card link above.  We earn a small commission on your purchase which helps keep us ticking over.  Thank you.

Bits: Luxury Travel Diary auction deals, £8000 of free BA flights for joining a supercar club!
IHG brings back its generous 'Accelerate' offer for Autumn

Comments

1. Kris Schimmel says:

No offer on either card for me ;(

2. Just confirming that this offer DOES NOT work on marketplace. I placed an order last night and it hits the statement as ‘Amazon UK Marketplace’.

With the above article I guess the strategy is to buy a gift voucher, then use the gift voucher to pay for marketplace items.

3. Just a note to say thanks for the tip on copying the offer ids to redeem on another card, seemed to work a treat for this and the 500 MR for general spend at Post Office & Shell, etc.. I might also get to use the 3000 MR Hilton offer too. 😀

4. the real harry1 says:

Amazon – you can also get £5 giftcard credit when you top up £20 in store https://www.amazon.co.uk/b?ie=UTF8&node=13829821031

use your Amex card @ PayPoint (same as you pay your council tax) for the Amex points on top

• We’re still trying to test this but Anika can’t find a PayPoint with a modern scanner that can handle the bar code ….

• Doesn’t it not work on the co-op?

• My local Co-Op was fine…the cashier just used the regular scanner. It didn’t work initially, but after folding the paper in half/catching at the right angle it all went through.

May be best to print on thicker paper/download the barcode to a phone to make sure it can be read easily?

The £5 is credited as a voucher that can only be used against Amazon purchases, can’t remember the expiry date but maybe October/November?

• Amazon sends you a SMS with a link to the barcode. That’s what I’ve done.

The promotional credit expires at 11:59 pm (GMT) November 30, 2017.

In time for black friday/monday…

• the real harry1 says:

just worked fine x4 – paper printout scanned perfick 🙂

code sitting there – dummy buy = Promotion Applied: -£5.00

• I’ve done it fine at my local off licence.

• the_real_a says:

I used this at the weekend and the top-up and £5 credit was available instantly.

5. The Amazon offer to receive £15 off a £25 spend if you part pay with Amex MR is still active until the end of Oct. Though it can’t be used for gift cards. Offer code is AMEX16SWP.

• I’ve tried using that code, but it says it “can’t be used with this order”.

• the real harry1 says:

must be Amazon-supplied item/ you must part pay at least 1p with MR points

• Nope. Still not working, even though I have enrolled the card and have an Amazon item on the basket.

• the real harry1 says:

is it a newish a/c?

istr we used it pre-Xmas 2016 (offer has been around a while!) and Amazon prevented new a/cs after then to be opened to take advantage

• @the real harry1 No, it’s an old account. Maybe I’ve used this before a while ago..

6. Having not had this offer, or the shell/whsmiths/post office offer (or Airbnb and trainline) I called the BA Amex customer service team to enquirer why. They are apparently going to look into it, but the representative believes I wouldn’t be negatively selected (or not selected) for offers.

It seems odd that I have not got any of these, but my spending is of a decent level (more than enough for the 241 voucher each year – I know I should look at alternative cards). I believe my spending is high and therefore there is no need for Amex to give me money back when they don’t need to incentivise me.

If I hear back, which is unlikely, I’ll share my findings.

• I didn’t have any of the offers currently that most other folk seem to have on any of our cards. Phone CS to be told I was a ‘high spender’ with Amex ( ha ha! Just make the 10k annually and move on) and the offers were to ‘incentivise others. I suspect we are no where near the spend of some HfP ers. Look forward to your findings @Ross

• I am a heavy user. I made the £20k of purchases on the free BA Amex in 8 months with work expenses alone… I said the the CS rep what you were told – why would Amex incentivise me, they know I’m good for the spend…

• barnaby100 says:

We also didn’t get this on any of our 6 amex cards. I think we would be high spending so not sure if that is why

• the_real_a says:

If you have used your card in these places previously then you are unlikely to get the offer. Just like cards previously registered on Amazon didn’t get the £5 offer from a couple of months ago.

7. In regards to the hilton offer, get 3000 MR if I pay and stay by a certain date, will Amex actually have any idea when I stay? For example would I be likely to get the points if I pay upfront for a stat early next year?

• I paid upfront for two nights over the bank holiday weekend and didn’t get the 3000 MR. I think they are sticking to the pay at checkout wording.

• Has the charge hit your card yet though? Lots of hotels don’t charge until near checkin (or even checkout). Worth calling them and asking them to charge your card.

• Hi Alan – yes it has. Of course there’s always the chance that there’s been a mistake somewhere.

8. I didn’t get this offer but this looked like a good deal!

THAI AIRWAYS – Spend £1,000 or more, get £100 back

9. Slightly O/T, but I got a targeted offer on the only Amex card that I have not linked onto TfL contactless, for 5% off all travel (contactless) until 30/9/17 (valid every time). Quickly added the offer and added that card to my Oyster account for contactless travel!

Interestingly the terms of the offer says:

•Offer is only intended for the targeted recipient of this Offer.

So Amex must be getting smarter on these being manually added

10. Amex have increased this offer to 30,000 registrations from the initial 20,000.

• Very thoughtful of them to let non-HFP readers have a chance.

• Loooool you kill me Rob

• 25000 unique visitors a day including the email list, multiple Amex cards per reader …. 20000 is not a stretch 🙂

• How is the 25k calculated? If I visit the site from my mobile, work PC, mac and iPad is that 4 visits (per device), prob 3 (per IP address)?

• The 15k which is non-email does, yes, have duplication due to duplicate IP addresses. You can offset that by Twitter and Facebook people who don’t visit the site unless they see something interesting in their feed though. And most casual readers will only visit from one device.

11. Amex rep said to me that I wasn’t included in the offer because I had already taken up a different offer and it wouldn’t be fair on other customers. I let him know my opinion of that approach!

12. I’ve had the offer put on supplementary cards (both Plat and BA Blue), however, while the offer has ‘triggered’ after £25 ‘proper’ Amazon spend, the points don’t show up on the primary card account.

13. Is the copying of someone else’s code legit? I see you can do it but is there going to be ramifications for this? Amex is a big provider of the means to get free travel, hotels and money off perks. I don’t want to queer my pitch with them. What’s the consensus?

• I won’t be writing an article on it, put it that way …..

• I wouldn’t recommend copying a code from a non-household member. ie only select an offer from another account that you are also a supplementary cardholder on. I want to keep things sweet with Amex, hence why I haven’t shared any offerid numbers on here.

• Hi Cate, forgive me, but what does your query mean? (copying others code) – Rob seems to know…but I have no idea, sorry!

• Nothing to apologize for Geoff but Rob’s word (or lack) is good enough for me.

• You need to remember that my FCA authorisation curbs what I can write about regarding exploiting loopholes offered by finance companies.

• The offer code isn’t specific to your Amex card but personally I think we should try and keep things a little opaque rather than posting step by step guides, esp now Amex CS has gone downhill on the adding offers front and it’d be nice to avoid them recoding things to block this quirk of the system…

14. Two hopefully helpful comments to those wondering why they’re not given all the Amex offers.

First, this kind of marketing offer is normally supported (read: funded) wholly or mostly by the retailer, who will have a ‘target’ customer in mind. Amex will select these customers to serve the offer to, rather than risk opening it up to everyone and annoying the retailer.

Second, marketing results best practice says that in order to show how effective your offer is, you need a ‘control group’, so some of your ‘selectees’ above will not be served the offer – basically they can then assess the spend by the offer group to see how it performs relative to the control.

If Amex CS agents give offers out willy-nilly, the retailer gets annoyed, and ‘benefit analysis’ is inhibited.

So annoying though it is, not every customer can have every offer.

15. Timothy Arnold says:

Hey all,

Might already have been said but appears that the offer ends on the 17th rather than the 19th as the article suggests. I got 1000 MR offer on the Amex Plat.

Save to Card to get 1,000 bonus Membership Rewards points on spend of £25+ online at Amazon by 17/09/17

Spend must be billed to your Card account by 17 September 2017 to be eligible for this offer

16. So annoying that the people paying high fees for their cards don’t get any priority over the free or quasi-free cards

• Then you do it wrong if you cannot get money for value out of the perks of premium cards. Not necessary AmEx will earn more money on BAPP than a normal BA card. If played right one can get a lot more value out BAPP.

• I do think Amex could offer a more compelling earning rate on the Plat. I like the benefits but put a lot of spend onto other cards not issued by them due to the poor ongoing earning rate.

17. I got a congratulatory message by email like 10 days ago but no Avios so far…
    Has anyone else experienced the same? Who should be held responsible: Amazon, AMEX or BA?

• Same for me, received the congratulatory email, when I bought the gift card 11th August
      ( and have since spent the gift card ) but no avios received as yet

• the real harry1 says:

I’ve had 3 success emails but no points so far – early days yet, it was only Monday – but the online Amex a/c says ‘redeemed’ in Offers (just checked 1 but I assume same for all)

The people to call are Amex, but I’d give it a few days

• Ok, let’s wait, perhaps until the next statement

• I got 500 Avios today at last

• Was this for a primary of supplementary card?

Has anyone had success, without intervention of AmEx customer services, with a Supp receiving the points for this, or the 500 points available with the “everyday spend” offer? [I think it the retailers were WH Smith / Shell / Post Office / Ocado]

• Primary

• the real harry1 says:

our 3x 1000 points posted fine (Amazon) – 1 a/c was a supp

but the 500 points from Post Office didn’t – it was contactless – no success email and the deal is sitting there unredeemed

I had a hopeless agent called Jeff on chat this morning who said sit tight they’ll post in time – obviously not so that’s another wasted 15 mins tomorrow etc

• I bought real stuff! A book and some garden supplies from Amazon itself (not third parties)

• Received the 1000 avios into my account today!

18. Nicholas Lee says:

Hi there,

I just wanted to see if you had any idea why the Amazon 500/1000 deal on Ecards didn’t work on either my BA Amex, or my Gold Rewards Amex.
    Also, Do you do any personal one on one services?

Cheers,

Nick

19. Just used the £15 offer code, details are here. Valid till 31st october 2017. First 33k customers

• the real harry1 says:

FYI, rule 9 doesn’t seem to apply

9. Limit one promotion code per Membership Rewards eligible card.

back in December, when the rest of us used this promotion, it was possible to use the same Amex card on multiple Amazon a/cs – you might want to give it a try if you have more than 1 family a/c