Bits: Virgin and BA sales ends today, airberlin bidding, 50% off mytaxi in London

News in brief:

Virgin Atlantic and British Airways sales end today

Today, Tuesday, is the final day for the current Virgin Atlantic and British Airways sales.

I won’t go through the deals again in detail.

The Virgin Atlantic pricing – which is more aggressive than BA for Upper Class in most cases – is discussed here and the sale site is here

My discussion of the best BA deals is here and the BA sale website is here.  As usual, booking a ‘flight and hotel’ or ‘flight and car’ Club World package can be cheaper than just booking a flight.

British Airways sale

airberlin sale process nears completion

airberlin announced yesterday that Lufthansa and easyJet have been chosen to enter into final negotiations to acquire the various parts of the airline.

The two airlines have until 12th October to reach a final agreement.  It isn’t entirely clear who wants what, but the company stated that 80% of jobs should be saved.

The easyJet bid appears to be for planes and crew – and potentially landing slots – rather than specific routes.  Lufthansa appears to be taking Niki, the Austrian subsidiary, as well as other unspecified short-haul assets.

All long-haul flights will end of 15th October with the aircraft returning to the leasing companies.  If Lufthansa wants to continue long-haul operations from Berlin or Dusseldorf it will either need to use its own aircraft or to enter into new leasing deals.  I still find it bizarre that the ‘national’ airline of Germany does not offer long-haul flights from the national capital.

IAG, parent of British Airways, has failed to make the final round of bidding.  It is now 100% certain that airberlin will cease to exist as a member of the oneworld alliance even if the brand does live on in some form.

50% off London taxi rides with mytaxi for the rest of the month

mytaxi – previously known as Hailo – is putting the boot into the demise of Uber in London by offering 50% off all London taxi rides taken before the end of September.

There is no small print, except that you must pay with a credit card stored in the app instead of paying the driver directly.

Full details of the mytaxi 50% offer are here.   Thanks to Daren for this.

PS. Before anyone asks, no, I have no idea when mytaxi will start awarding Avios again to new customers!  All old Hailo customers who migrated to mytaxi ARE still receiving Avios points when they ride.  mytaxi has also said that it will start offering Avios to new customers ‘soon’.  It isn’t clear how long ‘soon’ is, however …..

NEW! Earn Avios at Best Western - and how to get a status match
ARCC: a new way to keep your Amex points when cancelling Gold or Platinum

Double Rewards
AMEX Gold 20,000 bonus points

Comments

1. Im trying to book some IHG reward nights at the Bora Bora Resort Thalasso Spa.
    Had no luck in trying to work out what time of day they release the Rooms .

Been looking on Flyertalk without any joy for any Tips.

Any help would be much appreciated I realise this is a very sort after redemption.

• There is no rule on when IHG release rooms except that a hotel MUST release 5% of rooms (whether that is 5% of all rooms or 5% of standard rooms is unclear) for rewards.

As IHG pays almost the cash price when a hotel is 95% full there is no reason for a hotel to restrict redemptions at peak times unless they believe such guests spend less on food, spa etc.

2. the real harry1 says:

O/T £5 off £20 @ Superdrug – they sell Amazon giftcards (and many others)

3. Morning all – quick question. I am 10 tier points away from silver is there anyway (apart from taking a flight) to get the extra 10 needed? I am going away at Christmas and wanted to get into the lounge. Thanks.

4. OT Hilton: I was of the impression that all reward nights at Hilton are flexible but the cancellation notice can vary between properties. For the first time yesterday I encountered a reward stay that could not be changed or cancelled without losing all the points. Always worth checking the terms carefullh before confirming a reservation, especially when using tbe app where they can be less obvious.

• Yes I noticed this with a Conrad booking being around 7 days to cancel without losing points.

5. Even after a 50% discount, MyTaxi are more expensive than Uber or a mini cab to Heathrow for me. They quote £71 full price for the ~10 mile trip. No thanks!

6. the real harry1 says:
    • I’m fed up with the Lego offers, all the family children are past the age for it and I haven’t got time to re-sell it!

• the real harry1 says:

same here tbh but there must be people who need toys for Xmas or fancy a bit of fun trying to sell them & get their money back = [nearly] free points

Lego the corporation is having a rotten time this year – gone out of fashion & sales are down – so I don’t reckon these offers are going away anytime soon

• Wally1976 says:

I dipped my toe in for the first time with the last Lego Friends offer. Already dreading the hassle of eBaying them in a few weeks – really haven’t got time – and wishing I hadn’t bothered! Hopefully it’ll be worth it. Went for it mainly because I kicked myself for missing the great inkjet cartridge offer a bit back.

• Actuall, one thing you can do with them is to donate them to charities which distribute Christmas presents to deprived families. I’ve done that a couple of times, if you were going to donate anyway it’s not a good use of the Lego.

7. MyTaxi charges £10 minimum most of the tkme so that 50% off is not such a good deal unless you wanted to take a long ride.

• yep myTaxi is terrible… but that’s the black cabs’ fault really.

• Actually the 50% off is taken off after the minimum fare is applied. So for example my usual route is between £16 and £18 and so I’ve been paying between £8 and £9 with the discount.

So if you take a really short trip you could be paying £5.

8. OT

Anyone been to muscat? Views? Looks beautiful. I’m after sun somewhere quiet but we have a 4 year old aswell. Don’t intend to go anywhere as such happy to potter about a nice hotel/pool.

• Yes and it is lovely. We stayed at the crowne plaza which was decent and has its own beach area too.

• Not been – but booked in the last WTP ex-eu sale for peanuts.. My kids have kids now so staying in adult only Al Husn but maybe you should have a look at the shangri la al wadi resort as it well suited for smaller cost centres.

I used Rob’s contact Emyr at bonvivant for a stand out booking with a free room upgrade and $100 resort voucher.

• Check out our review of the Hilton Salalah resort (not Muscat, elsewhere in Oman) which is only 5,000 Hilton points per night!

• Unfortunately it’s very difficult to get to SLL if you take the BA flight and don’t have time to spend a night or 2 in muscat as well.

• Alan Young says:

Staying there for 7 nights in November and using Qatar miles to get there. Not sure if there is a Duty Free shop on Arrival though like Muscat. Anyone know? QR has now reduced the connecting time to just 45 mins, so a possibility of missing the connection now.

9. Rob says: ‘ I still find it bizarre that the ‘national’ airline of Germany does not offer long-haul flights from the national capital.’

You may as well ask how many SWISS l/h flights there are from Bern, QANTAS l/h flights from Canberra, Air Canada l/h flights from Ottawa. I’m guessing it’s the local situation, referencing population, catchment area, relative prosperity, distance to other airports.

Or perhaps LH are waiting until BER is ready. 😀

• I have flown from Ottawa to London on Air Canada, although it did stop at Montreal to my wife’s consternation, and it was in 1995.
      But I see that there are still some direct flights.

• ThinkSquare says:

I find it bizarre that the ‘national’ airline oif the UK only offers long-haul flights from one corner of the country

• All sorts of reasons for this, of course.

1) Berlin only became the capital of Germany during the 1990s.

2) Berlin is not a business centre in the way that Frankfurt, Hamburg, Munich or even Düsseldorf (Germany’s fashion capital) are. I do not think that Köln/Bonn ever had long haul business flights either.

3) LH frequently told tour operators to Germany that the runway at TXL was too short, but that flights would be offered from BBI when it opened in 2010
      🙂

You cannot compare Berlin as a capital with, say, London or Paris. Germany has never been centralised in the way that the UK and France are.

• … but none of those cities are on the scale of Berlin.

• True, but until 1991 it was you guys who decided what Lufthansa can or can’t do in Berlin. At that time Lufthansa had already three major airports. FRA and MUC as hubs and HAM as the former home base and later home of Lufthansa Technik, which also was your decision. 😉 HAM is called Hamburg Airport, because it was under British administration. BA has been flying from London to Hamburg for the past 71 years, Lufthansa only for 62 years.

• the real harry1 says:

not really – the Allies had long lost control of Lufthansa by 1991 & years earlier – it was a series of purely West German decisions

you can hardly blame West Germany airline for not flying out of East Germany?

the Brits/ Yanks/ French lost that kind of influence in West Germany long before 1991

• Ah, good point!

• Although what’s different about Berlin is that it has a much higher population:

1 Berlin 3,426,354
      2 Hamburg 1,739,117
      3 Munich 1,260,391
      4 Cologne 963,395
      5 Frankfurt am Main 650,000

Whereas in the other examples the capital cities are much smaller.

10. Any info about referral rewards and would it possible to refer your spouse when having the Gold card!?

11. Morning
    Any thoughts on a Virgin reward seat sale?
    If I recall there was one last year at this time?
    Thanks