Bits: win £50 for our 200,000th comment!, 100% bonus buying IHG points, SAS / Avis deal

News in brief:

Make our 200,000th approved comment!

+++ We’ve reached 200,000 comments (200,389 to be precise). We will announce comment number 200,000 tomorrow +++

At some point this morning, approved comment number 200,000 will be made on Head for Points.

This is a slightly crazy and very impressive achievement – especially as well over 199,000 of them have been polite and thoughtful.  And at least 198,000 have had no mention of Harry’s ‘place in the sun’ …..

Thank you to everyone for your contributions.  The site genuinely would not be the same without you.

You can go onto a site like Fiverr and buy yourself thousands of fake page views, Twitter followers or Facebook likes.  Online readership statistics can be faked in a hundred different ways.  What you can’t fake, however, are 200,000 comments, and whenever we have a marketing meeting we always point to the discussions on HFP as the best measure of the success of the site.

Anyway …. we’re going to send a £50 Amazon voucher to whoever makes the 200,000th comment.  Unless it is me or Anika.  Or the person did not give their real email on the comment form.  Anyway, we will decide on a winner and let them know!

InterContinental Times Square

100% bonus when you buy IHG Rewards Club points

IHG Rewards Club – the InterContinental, Holiday Inn, Crowne Plaza etc scheme – has brought back its ‘100% buy points bonus’ promotion.  It is as generous an offer as you will ever see for IHG points.

The page to buy points is here.  The deal runs until tomorrow night, 29th September.

(Remember that you may have a ‘buy points’ offer as part of your IHG Accelerate target for this quarter.  This is a good opportunity to buy a small number, although you need to buy 5,000 to receive the 100% bonus.)

Here are the standard purchase rates which do NOT include the bonus:

• 1,000 – 10,000 points for $13.50 per 1,000 points
  • 11,000 – 25,000 points for $12.50 per 1,000 points
  • 26,000 – 60,000 points for $11.50 per 1,000 points

You receive a 100% bonus with any order of 5,000 points or more.

With a 100% bonus, you would be able to buy 120,000 IHG points for (at current exchange rates) £515.  This assumes your credit card has 0% FX fees.

Here are a few examples of how this deal may work.

At the top end of the IHG Rewards Club portfolio, you have InterContinental properties which top out at 50,000 – 60,000 points per night. That’s what you would pay for InterContinental Le Grand in Paris or the InterContinental Amstel in Amsterdam.

With a 100% bonus, IHG is effectively selling you a night at a 50,000 point property for £230 all-in.  A 60,000 point hotel would be £275.  At the bottom end, the points for a 5,000 point PointBreaks night would cost just £23.

You should look at this if you have a ‘buy points’ target for your Accelerate promotion – although it makes more sense to buy 5,000 and get the bonus than buy 1,000 for no bonus.  If you are topping off your account, it is also a good deal irrespective of the exact cents per point cost.  The maximum number of points you can buy per year is 120,000 (ie 60,000 plus the 60,000 bonus).

You can buy via this link.

PS.  The image above is of the InterContinental New York Times Square.  IHG and the owners of the hotel are currently heading to court – the owners want to drop the InterContinental brand, and IHG is insisting on $175m of compensation if they do.  You might want to be careful about making any reward bookings here for late 2018 although there is no short-term risk of rooms being cancelled.

Good SAS EuroBonus deal with Avis

We don’t cover SAS EuroBonus much on Head for Points, although the scheme is an American Express Membership Rewards airline partner.

Until the end of October, SAS is running a very attractive Avis deal.  Take 2 x 2-day Avis rentals before the end of the year (to be booked by 31st October) and you will receive a whopping 12,000 EuroBonus miles.

That won’t necessarily get you far, but you could do a top-up via Membership Rewards.  You can get a night in a Radisson hotel for 20,000 SAS miles for example – that is how I got my free night at The May Fair in London 18 months ago.

Using them for flights is less attractive.  You need 20,000 SAS miles, plus taxes, for a one-way European flight on any Star Alliance airline.  That said, if you stretched the definition of Europe to its far reaches then it still may be an OK deal if the taxes made sense.

Full details are on this page of the Avis site.

Bits: good BA Club World US fares from Leeds Bradford, BA call centres reprieved
Which BA European routes do not offer lounge access?

Comments

1. OT: I have hit the £1000 for 10k SPG points and they have just been transferred out of my Amex account but not yet showing in SPG. Am I safe to close the account now or should I wait until they reflect in my SPG account?

• I always wait to be on the safe side. Usually if they leave your Amex account overnight, they hit your SPG around 4-5pm.

• Thanks for the heads up Genghis! Will leave it a day. Hoping I can get it cancelled before the £75 fee gets taken!

• There’s normally a 4-5 day gap between the points posting and your first statement being generated so plenty of time.

• OT @Genghis: IIRC this is your Scottish weekend..,enjoy.

• Good memory. Almost 🙂 It’s next weekend. Cheers
          Rob from Barra Island Tours had to cancel (for understandable reasons) so I’ve had to find a replacement. Hopefully they’re as good.

• I knew it was around the return from my current trip thus making it this weekend or next. I’m sure your replacement tour will be just as good, in small communities like that most pride themselves in being very hospitable.

• Rob cancelled on me (he had a better offer), but he get Rob from Barra taxis instead who was really good, stopped off at the 2 shops (general store and toffee shop) and got the low down on the island. Tonight i just finished eating the pack of smoked salmon i bought whilst there, the tablet was ate same day. Hopefully you will get a decent break in the weather.

• Haha tablet is lethal – great fun to make (I remember doing it as a kid), but a scary amount of sugar to add to the sweetened condensed milk 😉

• We did the tour with Rob from Barra Island Tours last Wednesday. He asked us beforehand if we would share the car with another couple which we agreed to do so that halved the cost of the tour. He was great! We had a fab day! We thought it might have been someone from the HFP community but they didn’t know anything about airmiles!

2. alan howes says:

Rob,

My only comment is that I really enjoy reading your posts which are very imformative.

Alan

3. Jena Palisoul says:

Thanks for sharing the IHG bonus. I also checked my Accelerate promotion and have an additional bonus offer for purchasing points making it an even better deal. I usually save their points for the points saver 5000 per night deals. Lots of free nights for very little cost. Granted these usually aren’t fancy, but they do… Basically, everyone should check their Accelerate promotion too!

4. Most comments ever on a HFP post?

5. OT: I am exploring my options for a flight to Tokyo. What is the cheapest option to get there (which airline)? I am also looking into which FF program offers the best miles redemption from London to Tokyo.
    Your opinion does count!

Thanks

• Almost certainly Virgin Atlantic using ANA. I discussed this in my article on Virgin partner redemptions last weekend. Massively cheaper than using BA / JAL.

You might want to price up Madrid to Tokyo on Iberia as the IB reward chart can be cheaper than the BA chart for some destinations, and taxes will definitely be a lot lower.

• Watch out for hotel costs in Tokyo, very expensive, good place to use up any hotel points you have.

6. Great site

OT cannot add my virgin flying club to my membership rewards account?
    New card doesnt seem to want to take the membership number?

• Happened to me, may have something to do with details not matching exactly with address. Worth giving amex a ring and they’ll sort it for you.

• Having similar problems with Hilton; is it just the name, email and post codes that needs to match or the whole address line by line?

7. Genghis, how many comments of the 200k do you think are yours!?

• I really appreciate Genghis’ input to hfp.

But if I was his employer or line manager I certainly would be having a quiet word with him.

• Haha – Maybe he’s the boss!

• 🙂 even the boss has a boss. In my work it’s not how much time you spend at work but what you deliver. I deliver.

• I wish I had a postman who would deliver

• John Wallace says:

Genghis ,
          I think you add value to this site too with your vast knowledge , along with a few others such as Harry . I have taken your advice this year on more than one occasion . Thanks for your constructive contributions !
          This is why this is a great site . Rob and Anika plus some great moderators !

• the real harry1 says:

heh heh! we had a brilliant bean counter called Bob – he sorted out all the regional finances & acted as a trusty who would presumably spot frauds (we had a lot of autonomy & loads of money flowing)

when we had the intensive meetings about how our country was doing, Bob did his stuff then was free to do what ifs and other scenarios – he sort of bashed out stuff on Excel I guess that would have taken me hours, but Bob in minutes – plus better, well, tbh professional as opposed to [email protected] – minutes, though, if not seconds

so not too surprising that Genghis’s week is done round about Monday lunchtime, so to speak 🙂

8. The Original Nick. says:

O:T, my 9000 Avios have just hit my IB account from the Avis competition..

9. Ha – so have mine! I’d completely given up on those. Interestingly they’ve posted as +9,000, -9,000, +9,000 but the net result appears to be the same!

10. David Ward says:

Buying points? . I look at weekends when there are 1000 bonus points for £5 ish and add them into my booking. Checking against my and my wifes IHG accounts. ( we only use hers for the additional easy points!) Points monitoring – much better rewards than playing suduko!

11. Alessandro Behling says:

Fantastic achievement !!! With the quality work you do to help us out for our cravings for points, it’s hard to believe a different outcome would be possible, we all salute you !!

12. Here’s bumping towards 400 comments. Well done Rob. This site is flying high 😉
    Mucho thanks for your help!

13. On the IC Times Square – unless you are Ambassador you are far better off at the Crowne Plaza Times Square. We’ve just come back from a week there and as a Spire member, we were upgraded to a top floor, Times Square view room (that was much bigger than the IC room we had a year or so ago), given $10 breakfast buffet vouchers and two $15 drink vouchers as well as a late check-out. At IC we were given zero extras. Add in the fact the CP is 10k points per night cheaper and I don’t know why you would choose the IC.

Thanks to Rob as always for the site – the trip (Club World and 6 nights at the CP) came to only £1k – and that was the CW taxes!

• the real harry1 says:

you forgot the points have a value…easily done…

• They do, but the bank only says £1000 has gone out so that counts as only costing £1000 to most of us! 🙂

• the real harry1 says:

sure, it’s pat on back time for getting a cashflow-cheap holiday/ flight – I do admire that

so no problem with OP, I guess it’s why we all strive to get cheap points

still – convertible points (eg Avios) = tangible alternatives such as wine, so worth bearing in mind all these points are currencies (I only say that obvious truth because so many people think they’re free, esp as it happens holders of Tesco points)

• I would hope holders of Tesco points who are buying lego and ink don’t think that…

• the real harry1 says:

those, no

but I shudder to think of the % of Tesco points that get exchanged in store @ face value for weekly groceries

my guess would be 50%+ of all Tesco points, now that the big Clubcard Boost has gone

14. Can I convert American Express points into virgin points? If so how long does it take? Do I have to tfr them before I close the card?