Bits: We won 3 BTJA awards!, BA drops three routes, 30000 Nectar points with their Amex card

News in brief:

We won three Business Travel Journalism Awards!

As you may have guessed from the picture we ran yesterday, or our social media feeds, we won three awards at the 2017 Business Travel Journalism Awards on Thursday night.

This saw us fighting it out with, depending on category, Business Traveller, the travel sections of the national press, the B2B business travel titles and in-flight magazines.

We won:

• Business Travel Editor of the Year (Rob)
  • Best Newcomer to Business Travel or Meetings and Events Journalism (Anika)
  • Best Digital Strategy

We didn’t get Scoop of the Year, but 3/4 was way beyond our expectations.  Anika had to beat five other shortlisted writers in her category.

Here is Anika picking up ‘Best Newcomer’.  The judges said:

“The judges felt that the winner’s article was ‘interesting, engaging, on point and humorous.‘The author’s style was ‘really enjoyable’ with one judge claiming, ‘this was the one feature I remembered long after I’d read it’.”

…. and ‘Best Digital Strategy’.  The judges said:

“Of the winner, the judges were impressed with this website describing it as ‘refreshing’, ‘something I hadn’t seen before’ and ‘a website that I would use as a travel booker and as a traveller’.”

…. and ‘Editor of the Year’.  The judges said:

“Our panel of judges debated for a very, very long time about who should win this award. After much toing and froing, the winner was described as ‘a trailblazer’, someone who has ‘broken new ground’ and someone whose ‘leadership and entrepreneurship makes him a natural winner’.”

Thanks to everyone who left a comment on here or social media, we appreciate it.

British Airways cancels three short haul routes

British Airways has announced that three ‘Summer only’ routes will not be returning in 2018.

The routes impacted are:

• Kos
  • Montpellier
  • Biarritz (photo above, the plans for Four Seasons to take over that hotel have recently collapsed)

If you are already booked to one of these cities for next summer, you should contact BA to discuss your options.

30,000 Nectar points with the Nectar American Express card

We normally leave Nectar points discussion to our sister site Shopper Points, but it is worth highlighting this limited time offer on their American Express card.

Until 1st November, the sign-up bonus is increased from 20,000 Nectar points to 30,000.  You need to apply via the Nectar website to get this deal.

30,000 Nectar points is worth at least £150 off your Sainsburys bill, and potentially £300 if you hold on to them until a ‘1p per point’ offer comes along (although they are getting rarer).

The card is FREE for the first year and you can get the bonus irrespective of what other Amex cards you currently hold.

Full details are in this article.

Bits: 4500 Avios for new BAEC members in Germany, decent Virgin / Enterprise promo
When did BA hike the taxes on long-haul US economy redemptions?

Comments

1. You both deserve awards for managing to edit my mammoth Maldives article… 😉

Congrats and well done! 😀

2. Congrats!
    Will I get the sign-up bonus even if I hold Sainsbury’s cc nectar?

3. the real harry1 says:

Did you grab the chance to tell Calder he’s missing a trick or 2 on buying those full-price Avios? 🙂

4. Gin and Tonic Please says:

Massive congrats!

5. Steve-B says:

Well done Rob and Anika!

Data point (as there were a couple of posts about this recently) – I’ve just received my 3000 MR points for PRGC supplementary card holder – 42 days from application acceptance..

• How did you get the link to apply for this, can’t see it offered on my PRGC account.

• Steve-B says:

TripRep – it was a bonus offer that Amex were running back in the summer – it expired end of August if I recall correctly. I posted this as there has been some confusion over the timing for the posts to point – some folks now being told by Amex reps that it could be up to 90 days.

• thanks, also chatted with them to check, no longer running, sure it’ll come back in a few months…

• They have been running it again recently but on email rather than promoted when you log into your account.
          Mrs G had an email last Monday and she/I applied on Thursday.

• Yes I’ve been told 60 and 90, and then 60 again. It’s been 46 days now. I saw the offer on Facebook, not on my account.

• To follow up on my post above.
      Sups ordered Thursday.
      Points credited Friday.
      It’s a nonsense if others are waiting 42 days and more!

6. Congrats to you both.

7. OT: does anyone have a working American Express Gold -> Platinum upgrade offer link? Thanks!

8. Has anyone heard of a new Avios offer for The Sunday Times Travel Magazine? The last year subscription just run out.

9. When I go the Nectar website (through either Rob’s link or direct myself) I only see the standard 20k offer. Does this mean the offer is targeted (and not to me?) or am I doing something wrong?

10. wayne sam says:

Damn shame about the Biarritz route, we visit that fantastic coast often, and was always an option

11. Congratulations again!

O/T – got this email from Rolling Luggage this morning :
    Dear,
    Thank you for your e-mail.
    We are aware of the fact that there is some delay regarding the extra 1000 points,
    but our colleagues are looking into to the matter to resolve the problem as soon as possible.
    Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any other questions or concerns.
    Best regards,
    Cathy

Wonder how long it will take them. How many HFP readers have emailed them?

• the real harry1 says:

now that quite a few people have emailed, I probably cba to do it myself, I’ll wait until the emailers get their 1000 (or not) then check my own a/c – only then will we see if RL is disreputable or simply incompetent

got a feeling it is the latter, ie teething pains with setting up the system – though surprising I got my base points fine but not the 1000 – that looks deliberate

• My thoughts exactly. Got 55 points posted on Thursday in my BAEC. They’ll have to sort it otherwise they’ll be a lot more HFP readers emailing them I suspect. What got me was they didn’t even address email to me juat said “Dear” not “Dear Mrs P” or my forename. Not impressed.