Avios / Pizza Express deal moves from Bink to estore – at 12 Avios per £1

We gave Bink, a new loyalty app, a lot of coverage late last year.

It was – and remains – a very clever concept, which would let you earn loyalty points in High Street loyalty schemes simply by swiping your registered credit card.  You don’t need to show your loyalty card as the shop knows it was you via your payment card.

As with many new tech products, Bink’s roll out does not seem to have gone to plan.  Whilst they have just agreed a deal with Harvey Nichols, it is not exactly a Tesco-sized contract.  The people I knew there have mainly left the business, although it is still fully functional.

I get a feeling that it may end up as a back-end solution, with retailers licensing their technology to allow shoppers to earn points via their payment card without needing the Bink app.  But what do I know?

The Avios link with Bink was via the second strand to their business.  By registering a payment card and your Avios account with Bink, you could earn Avios by spending in various retailers.

The first partner launched was Pizza Express, a year ago.  And then …. nothing.  Dixons Travel was meant to be launching as the second partner but nothing appeared.

Avios then trumped Bink by rolling out its own ‘earn Avios by paying with a registered payment card’ solution.  This was done using the Collinson Latitude platform which also powers the Virgin Atlantic ShopsAway site.

I doubt Bink was hugely happy about this.  I know the Avios side of the story but I haven’t heard the Bink side and therefore it would be wrong to comment.

Anyway …..

Let’s get to the point.

You no longer need to have a Bink account to earn Avios when eating at Pizza Express.

It has joined the ‘in store earning’ partners at the Avios estore.  This list also includes:

• American Golf
  • Hungry Horse
  • National Express
  • Officers Club
  • Old English Inns
  • Prezzo
  • Sunglass Hut

There are some slightly odd names there which I doubt fit with the core Avios / BA Executive Club demographic, but ….

To earn Avios from these shops, you must register your credit card at this page.

You should NOT link the same payment card to both the Virgin ShopsAway and Avios estore ‘in store earning’ platforms because it causes ‘card clash’.

A special offer ….

To promote this move, you will earn 12 Avios per £1 on all spending at Pizza Express from Sunday to Thursday until 26th November.  Spending on Friday and Saturday will earn 6 Avios per £1.

This is double the standard rate of 6 Avios and 3 Avios respectively.

The offer will disappear from the Bink platform tonight.

No pressure, BA. Singapore Airlines launches its new First and Business Class.
Is the Millennium & Copthorne Hotels loyalty scheme worth a look?

Comments

1. Louise Allen says:

Do you get double avios if you register your BA Amex card? I noticed BAEC had a similar thing on their site a while back.

2. The same firms come up over and over again with these schemes. These are the “shop-in-store” offers when loading card details into my employer’s website:-

5pts American Golf
    5pts Flaming Grill
    5pts Hungry Horse
    5pts Old English
    3pts Prezzo
    11pts Sunglass Hut
    5pts Waitrose

1 point = 1p BACS credit.

3. OT.Between now and 13 December, 2017, conversions of Tesco Clubcard vouchers into Virgin Atlantic miles will receive a 20% bonus.Seen on Inside flyer

• …. or in your inbox! But oddly not on either of the Tesco or Virgin websites, although it doesn’t look targetted.

• Not in my inbox!

• the real harry1 says:

converted last night, got the 20% bonus already in a/c

also 1000 bonus miles for switching on Tesco auto convert (not yet arrived)

• Genghis says:

The 1k take perhaps a month or so to arrive.

• the real harry1 says:

I just went for it & cleaned out our a/cs —> Virgin – having spent the last 18 years keeping my 100K corporate stash alive (and latterly adding a few), now I have probably foolhardily taken a punt on Virgin + AF/KLM redemptions coming up trumps

not that bothered as I have enough Avios for our RFS needs for the next few years

• the real harry1 says:

I think I have quadrupled our Virgin miles stash in one fell swoop 🙂

• Steve – I commented on this on Weds and yesterday, bonus 20% working perfectly within 24hrs of request.

4. Not surprised Bink has failed Its doesn’t work,, you cant use it any where and all twitter talks about is awards they have not won! Jokers! The worst customer service I have ever experienced. Maybe spend less money on drinks and penguin suits and focus on their product.

5. I don’t understand what Bink does without Pizza Express and Avios, can anyone update me?

6. Graham Walsh says:

I discovered that when you add a card it fails, if you click to another tab e.g. My Alerts and then go back to In Store Cards, it shows up.

7. Talking of Bink, whatever happened to 3More ?

8. Not sure if mentioned elsewhere, but has anyone received Club Carlson offers?
    Loyalty lobby post says there are four versions , and it seems to let you enroll in all four.

9. I can’t seem to add cards on the Avios site. There is no option to do so. I just get this message:

Your registered cards cannot currently be retrieved from our card vault, all card details continue to be safely & securely encrypted and stored. Please refresh or try again later. Transactions for any cards that have been registered are being tracked and your Avios will be awarded accordingly

What am I missing?

• Martmonk says:

Same here. On an iPad. I wonder if being on a desktop/laptop might make a difference but can’t try that until tomorrow. An of course I then have to remember the avios.com password which changes almost monthly as it seems to fail on one device or another.

• I had this- but refreshed the page a few times a few minutes later and it had added the card no problem. Did the same for 2 cards- got the error twice but they both added once the page refreshed properly.

• Neil Spellings says:

I have the same issue. I contacted Avios and they replied:

“I’m very sorry to say that we are having problems with this at the moment, please try again in a few days.”
      to which I asked if I could claim back missing Avios because I couldn’t register my card because of this glitch and the response was laughable:
      “Sorry that won’t be possible, there is a clause in the ts and cs that if there is a technical hitch we won’t be responsible”

10. Genghis says:

OT. For those that have stayed at Domes of Elounda on points as Marriott Gold, what benefits can you expect? Suitable place for a couple? TA has mixed comments on this. TIA

11. Slightly related to Tesco–>VS bonus, it still allows you top top up a spouse’s (same surname) VS a/c from your TCC, useful for rounding off..

Also think Rob/Anika should do a review of Delta One on a new A350, maybe when it starts flying to the UK…