REGISTER NOW for Hilton’s new Spring 2018 bonus points promotion

Hilton Honors has launched its new Spring promotion which is now available for registration.

To give Hilton credit, it is very straightforward with minimal small print:

You will earn 2,000 bonus Hilton Honors points for every stay between 1st January and 30th April.

After every five stays, you will receive an additional 10,000 points!

You can register for the offer here.

Hilton Honors 2000 bonus points

There is no small print except that you need to register in advance via the Hilton website:

There is no minimum stay requirement

Existing bookings still count

All Hilton Family properties (Hilton, Hampton, Curio, Waldorf-Astoria, Conrad etc) are taking part – there is no list of non-participating hotels – except for Hampton properties in China

The full rules for the promotion can be found here.

Reward stays should count, especially if you make a small charge to the room to trigger base points.

Hilton Honors 2000 bonus points

Is this worth it?

I value a Hilton Honors point at 0.33p.

2,000 bonus points are therefore worth £6.60.  If you are doing a lot of cheap one-night stays then this is not bad.  If you know you will be doing a multiple of five stays over the promo period, your bonus goes up to £13.20 of value per stay.  That’s not bad.

For comparison, Marriott Rewards is offering 2,000 bonus points – which I value at £10 – for every stay, but only starting with your 2nd stay.  I wrote about that offer here.

Whether you move your business to Hilton, or indeed Marriott, may depend more on your new IHG Accelerate target.  These targets vary from person to person (I wrote about mine in this article which includes full details) so I can’t advise on whether you should be focusing on Holiday Inn / Crowne Plaza / InterContinental instead.

Remember that you can still get a Diamond status match too!

If you have top tier status with another hotel programme, Hilton Honors will give you a 90 day free trial of Hilton Diamond status.  You can request a status match here.

You need to supply a screenshot showing your top tier status in another programme plus a screenshot showing a paid stay in the previous 12 months.

Gold status matches are also available if you have mid-tier status with another scheme.

If you complete eight stays (note it is stays, not nights) during the 90 days you will keep your Diamond status until 31st March 2019.  If you only manage four stays you will receive Gold status until 31st March 2019.

Conclusion

‘2000 bonus points’ is a decent offer and you should make sure you register here if you have any Hilton stays coming up over the next four months.

I recommend you register now in case you forget later!

REGISTER NOW for Starwood's new Spring 2018 promotion
'Couldn't make it up' #1: Emirates launches Stansted with its amazing new First Class suite

Comments

1. I should know this but will I get my Diamond benefits if I book a City Break via BA Holidays? I know you don’t via an OTA, but is it different with BA?

• BA Holidays is a travel agent.

Generally the answer is no but if you ask the hotel right after booking then it’s a maybe.

• In the past i have phoned the hotel and asked the if they could add my Hilton Honors number to the booking and they have obliged.

• Email the hotel directly, you might get a few of the perks honoured.

2. Bit of a disappointing promotion from Hilton. I would prefer another double points / triple for diamond promotion!

The new Starwood promotion looks pretty good if your stay includes a weekend.

I’ve got quite a lot of IHG points now and hit my Accelerate target during this promotion. But most IHG properties I’ve stayed in have been unimpressive and the lack of benefits for top tier status is a real turn off. I’ve got Marriott & Starwood Platinum and Hilton Diamond which means lounge access in all of those brands. The fact there’s no way to get lounge access without paying for it with IHG makes it very unappealing to me. I don’t understand why a lot of people like IHG so much. Yes it can be a bit easier to build up points, but I’d much rather have points in a chain that is going to give it’s top tier members some quality guaranteed benefits.

• ankomonkey says:

Couldn’t agree more. Free breakfast at Hiltons and Marriotts, and good room upgrade options are the main reason my IHG points never get spent. It’s never the best deal for me.

3. Crowne Plaza would appear to have had an (unofficial) change of policy recently as I have got an upgrade and/or lounge access on all of my CP stays over the last few months (as a Spire Elite)

• Yeah I believe CP hotels (in the UK anyway) offer it as the welcome gift. The CP in Plymouth did last time I stayed, but it was the worst hotel lounge I’ve ever set foot in.

• You should try the Crowne Plaza lounge in Birmingham – it’s like a zoo Friday/Saturday night’s. Lager, spirits and a few morsels.

4. I booked a stay through hotels.com using tesco Clubcard deals. Paid the taxes on credit card. Wonder if I will get the bonus?

5. Im actually quite diasspointed with the Hilton promo and I’m considering cancelling my stays in January. Im a Hilton diamond member and ive got 4 night stays every week in Frankfurt in Jan and possibly in Feb too. This promo gives me nothing – I will get 10k bonus points after spending approx 16 nights in Hilton in Jan – peanuts!! Might as well move my business to Starwood and earn SPG points.

Or shall i keep my Hilton stays and eaen triple avios??

• *earn

• Mr(s) Entitled says:

Value of points is only one factor. Your need for them and intended use also require consideration.

If you are building towards a HH target then it doesnt help to deviate. If you are indifferent or points rich, seek value and diversity.

• It is disappointing. Under the current double points promo if you book it right, you can earn 42 Hilton points per pound as a Diamond and 39 per pound as a Gold.

• Thegovier says:

As far as I understand, with 8 x stays you’d get 8 x 2,000 bonus, plus another 10,000 for 5 stays = 26,000 bonus points. If you split two of the stays between two Hiltons to get to 10 stays, you’d qualify for another 4,000 for the stays, plus another 10,000 for the 2nd 5 stays, and pull in 40,000.
      A lot of these promotions drive different behaviour. If you were really pushing for points, you could stay in a different hotel every night (there are two Hiltons and a Hampton in Frankfurt, so possible), and make it 32 stays, earning 64,000 bonus points based on the stays, and 60,000 for 6 sets of 5 nights.
      Probably not practical, depending on what you’re doing in Frankfurt, but just pointing out that there are ways to game the system, and this promo actually makes the gaming more beneficial than the double points Autumn promo.

• I cant see myself changing hotels every night for the sake of additinal 60k points which is probably 2 nights in a decent hilton. With double points i could have got these 60k points easily.

• I’m working for several months around Bristol which has 6 Hilton properties in the area! 3 Doubletrees, 2 Hamptons and 1 Garden Inn. I only started in October so have been moving hotel every night to hit the 30 stays for Diamond before end of the year (just made it!). I do find the way they incentivise very strange, it must cost them more money for me to move property every night. Perhaps there are just very few people like me who can be bothered to play the system, but travelling for work I don’t find it particularly bothersome. I had been looking forward to staying in the same property each week with my Diamond status but this new offer will probably make me keep moving around to maximise points!

• Out of interest which is your favourite? I stay at the Doubletree close to Temple Meads station quite often, but as a gold am never bowled over by benefits or recognition.

• I did that to achieve Diamond the first time round

• Not much to choose between with the DT and HGI. DT gives free parking and a free drink voucher, I prefer the breakfast at the HGI. My favourite is the DT Cadbury House, lovely friendly staff, great gym/fitness centre, nice surroundings, but it’s down near the airport so no use if you want to stay central.

6. Sussex Bantam says:

OT – not sure where to put bits today – £50 back on £200 spend at AMEX Travel on my gold card this morning..

• johnny_c-l says:

Thanks, have been waiting for this offer to return.

Got this on my Gold card, and £200 back when spending £600 on the platinum card.

• I have the £200 on £600 spend offer as well, on my Platinum Card.

I am considering booking the Intercontinental in Athens for a week in Easter. Does anyone know if bookings made via AMEX travel still qualify for IHG Ambasador benefits and points?

7. Have 3 redemption stays coming up so would love it they counted – we will see!

8. It doesn’t really encourage you to spend money in the hotel, so from Hilton’s perspective, it’s not the smartest incentive. It’s really targeted the cheapest of Hilton Brands, which in a way is nice given most promos favour the big spenders. However, if I need to stay somewhere in a major city, I’ll probably stay with another brand with a more suitable incentive

9. I’m likely to try a redemption on this promo v early Jan, top tip is to charge a soft drink / pack of peanuts to the room, that could help trigger the 2000 points.

10. John O'Sullivan says:

I’ve been playing with points and status for a few years now as a leisure only traveller. I’m still surprised by how well we are generally treated by both Hilton and IHG. Last couple of years we maxed out Hilton benefits following a 90 day diamond match and ongoing Gold via the IHG paid card. The next year or so will be IHG following an ambassador points purchase that should cost me a maximum 17,000 points. We’ve had free upgraded stays with added benefits at the Hilton Nordica, twice at the London Waldorf, Intercontinental Park Lane and Porto, and very reasonably priced paid stays at various Doubletrees and a couple of Crown Plazas. The IC’s in particular were spectacular with the benefits. I think IHG works best if you use status with more prestigious locations/properties. I like Doubletree’s for Hilton stays. We tend to stay at the more expensive properties for birthdays/anniversaries and let the hotel know in advance that it is a celebration. I can’t complain about either brand.

11. Yes I think Hilton is really switched on now and I’m committed to the brand – love the guaranteed Exec lounge access with Diamond. 20000 points per 5 stays is a great promo since my visits are almost always single night stays.

• It sounds a great idea if things were going to stay the same but Hilton have already released details of their next card offering which guarantees every American who holds it access to the Exec lounge.

12. OT but anyone with the Amex Plat get e-mails about 50 off a 200 (first 30k members, seems to be sent to all card types) and 200 off a 600 (first 7k platinum members) hotel spend? Wasn’t in the offers section of the app but added it to my card via the e-mail.

• Simon Schus says:

I got the email and added via email. The terms and conditions (at the end of the email) mention that flights are also included as part of the offer.

13. Simon Schus says:

Hello all, a little off-topic question.

I seem to remember people mentioning a benefit of AMEX Travel is that you can have them select seats on BA flight without status? Does anybody know if this is still the case?

🙂

14. OFF TOPIC(ish)

I have Accor Platinum status until 31st Dec 2017. I will drop down to whatever their lowest tier is after that 🙁
    I can’t afford 5 stays in Fairmont properties in the first quarter of 2018 so can’t make use of the fast track back to Platinum by combining those with an Ibis business card (or whatever it is).
    So……my question is……are there any hotel chains which will status match Accor Platinum to their own top-tier ???
    Cheers.

• See statusmatcher.com

Hilton will give you the Diamond Challenge – 90 days of status plus an extension to 3/19 if you do 8 stays in 90 days.

15. (Mostly OT)

How long are MR transfers to HH points taking at the moment?

Cheers

16. I guess a fair few of you may have seen the gift options IHG are considering for Spire via the 500pts survey. Still frankly very poor – I doubt those pulling 75 nights at HI’s are going to fall over in excitement with another night at a HI. https://ibb.co/gv6NFR

• I never got this but someone else sent it over. Frankly I’d still take 25,000 points over a free HIX night (and that is hardly aspirational). €40 credit is a pathetic trade off for £100-£125 of points too!

17. So. Is it actually just me who has had the ‘bonus stay credit’, earning me 2 stay credits for each stay completed? The last six bookings have done it, I was in a Doubletree Monday night and am in one tonight and fully expect them to do the same. Every stay since the start of Nov. 12 ‘stays’ rather than 6, fulfilling requirements to Diamond through to end of March 2019. No idea why, but certainly not complaining

18. Hilton rep on FT has confirmed reward stays count, didn’t even mention need to charge anything to folio…